Questionnaire To Help Suggest A Breed Or

kamuzz

A guy in our office has just bought a house.

"Oh, we want a dog," he says "Can you tell me where to find one."

"What sort of dog do you want"

"About the size of a border collie, but with short hair"

"What else? Is the dog coming inside or just outside? Who is going to walk it?" and I started asking him the regular questions

"Um, we just want a regular dog."

I know this pops up on here from time to time. Please help me find a couple of questionnaires that will give them an idea of what to think about, what is involved in owning a dog beyond bringing a dog home.

Edited by kamuzz

Tell him to go to the library and get out a few books on owning dogs, training dogs, and different breeds. I'm sure there are some online quiz things if you google puppies.

I was nagging my husband for ages about getting a dog. I grew up with one as a kid, he didn't. He had an idea of what he wanted in a dog - a big slobbery type thing - while I wanted a small lap dog that wasn't going to mault!! Needless to say, we had different ideas!

For us, there was also the consideration of children being around, size of the house, work commitments etc. Once we started reading, we agreed on a Cavvie. It was a compromise on breed for both of us, but I don't regret it all. She is the best dog in the world, and my husband (who was anti dogs for a while), thinks it was all his idea!!!!!

I am glad we did our homework though. Because we got what we expected and know what we are dealing with.

I like this one. It asks a lot of lifestyle questions, and then lists a bunch of breeds that might suit, and also says why other breeds would not suit - is fascinating. Is american so you can't use the dogs for sale or adoption stuff.

http://dogtime.com/matchup/start

Click on the picture that says "start here" (middle top right)

PS at the end where it asks for an email - "[email protected]" works if you don't want to give a real one, you still get your results displayed.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Yes, I'm not sure how it can rate "anatolian shepherd" as a medium sized dog. And I'm not sure how they'd go at agility but I guess they'd be alright at herding? But it had ACD in the list of recommended too - and a bunch of other dogs I like. It also had a bunch of hounds - not sure how easy they'd be to teach to come when called but I guess persistance will win out in the end (I sure hope so).

PS I do like the look of the anatolian shepherd but don't know very much about them. Appearance is a bit of a shallow way to choose a dog. But if they can come up in the same list as ACD - they must be good, right?

PPS a whole bunch of breeds got knocked out because I like the idea of jogging with my dog - if only she'd stop poking me in the bum to hurry up. With some I wasn't sure if it was because "sometimes jogging" is not enough or too much.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I get really annoyed with those online questionnaires - none of them ask about allergies so they always suggest breeds with fur and I can't have dogs with fur but only wooly-coated dogs.

So for me the question about anyone with animal allergies in the household is an important question, also.

Edited by Zug Zug

I get really annoyed with those online questionnaires - none of them ask about allergies so they always suggest breeds with fur and I can't have dogs with fur but only wooly-coated dogs.

So for me the question about anyone with animal allergies in the household is an important question, also.

that one linked above DOES ask about allergies.

I like this one. It asks a lot of lifestyle questions, and then lists a bunch of breeds that might suit, and also says why other breeds would not suit - is fascinating. Is american so you can't use the dogs for sale or adoption stuff.

http://dogtime.com/matchup/start

Click on the picture that says "start here" (middle top right)

PS at the end where it asks for an email - "[email protected]" works if you don't want to give a real one, you still get your results displayed.

In gave this a go and was trying to get small, athletic dogs as my top five, but it only gave me medium sized dogs, and none of which I would ever consider.

I was also affronted that it included a lot of ''oodles" as breeds.

When I asked it why Miniature Pinschers were not a good choice for me, apparently it was because I answered I wanted a jogging companion 'now and then'.

Hmmmm. My dogs happily run for miles beside me when I am bike riding. I think they underestimate the stamina of an average dog.

PS I do like the look of the anatolian shepherd but don't know very much about them. Appearance is a bit of a shallow way to choose a dog. But if they can come up in the same list as ACD - they must be good, right?

anatolians are livestock guardian dogs. I wouldnt recommend one to just mooch around the backyard as a pet they are still pretty primitive and need a job and firm owner.

so anatolian shepherd more like marema than a bc or kelpie.

Can't imagine a marema being the least bit good as a jogging companion.

I don't need a dog to mooch around the back yard all the time, but sometimes I have to go out to the dentist or whatever and mooching would be good then.

I got 1 alaskan malamute, 2 anatolian shepherd dog, 3 bernese mountain dog, 4 black russian terrier, 5 boxer.

And the only one i would consider seriously would be the boxer, mostly because of the hair but also because i think 1,2 and 4 too much for me to handle training etc wise. all beautiful dogs.... anatolian shepherd would be good to protect my parents lambs from all of these turd foxes though..... :laugh:

I got anatolian and black russian too. I wonder why they keep recommedning these breeds, as I have heard they are certainly not for everyone. I didn't indicate I was an experienced trainer (because i'm not), which I believe is what these breeds need?