Tango Made A Big Breakthrough - Updated

spottychick

see it's moments like these why you did not give up!

seems he has wormed his way into your life.... i should go up date a thread for sophie... today we had a crap afternoon and now a break thru.

so maybe an updates in order.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep VC - it sure is!! :)

Tango is a delight really - he has had one go at me since the operation but I totally put that down to the effects of the op as it happened the night after when he was still groggy and had that stupid satelite dish on his head and I was just giving him a pat when he was in his bed - always something to be wary of LOL

But otherwise he lets me stick gunk in his eye, wipe it dry with tissues (while it's healing atm), take that visor thing off AND put it back on. He doesn't want to wear it even tho it's better than the other one, but he wont run away when he knows I'm going to put it on him - he will actually sit and look at me all resigned to his fate and let me put it on him. Mind you, he knows he'll get a treat after so maybe that has something to do with it LMAO. But seriously, I can't believe what a well-behaved dog he generally is :)

Read your thread BTW - She's a sweety!

I've been reading your posts since the beginning and I thought that you had a huge job in front of you and wondered if it would be worth it...................well congratulations. :)

Tango is such a lucky dog to have someone willing and able to help him.

+1 :):thumbsup::rofl:

it saddens me to see a breed with such a forgiving temp fall into/onto such hard times as these 2 have.

leo will let anyone sit on him with only a groan.... the 12yo does all the time. i think you would be able to tend his wounds without sedation.... unlike the jrt who would take off your arm at the shoulder. he gets snappy.

Thanks fran, melissa and tassie - he is worth all of it :)

VC It always amazes me how forgiving dogs and other animals can be of even the most cruel treatment. And yes, dallys can be the most tolerant! It's why I don't understand anyone who deliberately treats animals badly - they must be sick individuals IMHO

But they're safe now, so congrats to you!!

VC It always amazes me how forgiving dogs and other animals can be of even the most cruel treatment. And yes, dallys can be the most tolerant! It's why I don't understand anyone who deliberately treats animals badly - they must be sick individuals IMHO

I don't want to derail your beautiful thread, S/chick, but I think about this a lot too. As with human to human interaction, I think human to animals interaction has a lot to do with exercising presumed power. I could go on forever on this point, but so many people feel powerless and "put upon", that they look around for someone/something that THEY can exercise power over and too often it is someone smaller or a creature they can dominate.

I don't want to derail your beautiful thread, S/chick, but I think about this a lot too. As with human to human interaction, I think human to animals interaction has a lot to do with exercising presumed power. I could go on forever on this point, but so many people feel powerless and "put upon", that they look around for someone/something that THEY can exercise power over and too often it is someone smaller or a creature they can dominate.

hmmmm yes, and I guess they're just unable to find strength within themselves to forgive and/or move on so they take out their frustrations on some other creature, like a friendly forgiving dog - says a lot about the people AND dogs.

But anyway, just thought I'd mention, yesterdays exciting moment wasn't at all a one-off.

Look what I found when I walked into the kitchen earlier ... I woke them up unfortunately because a second before they looked awesomely peaceful.

post-10457-1279079182_thumb.jpg

Note the blue blanket to the right which is a second bed they've both ignored. :thumbsup:

Would that be Satchmo? He looks like a character.

Yep, our Satchy is a funny boy :laugh: Interestingly, the puppy seems to have learned what distance Satch will tolerate, and she lies next to him juuuust beyond that boundary :laugh:

awww what a clever puppy!!

It will be interesting to see how close these two get. Is todays effort the best we're gonna get or will they actually cuddle together. I noticed their bottom ends were just sort of almost touching LOL

ooops no. We just had a mild altercation over the bed as I was typing. So it's not all smooth sailing just yet.... :laugh:

True enough. :thumbsup:

Just brought him back from the vets. The stitches and wierd plastic things are out and they tested his eye - looks like the ulcer has healed. I'm not celebrating yet - I'll wait a couple of days coz it's all wierd at the moment, his third eyelid is swollen up. But I'm cautiously optimistic. If it's healed that will be such a relief. It's been going on for months with us trying to heal it - poor little guy!

He's very happy to have both his eyes open again tho!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - thought I'd use his old thread instead of starting another one. It's a bit of a long one - LOL WHen are my posts ever short hee hee

Tango is now 9 years old!! According to the pittapatta thing I made a while ago anyway - having moved house I can't lay my hand on his file so I can't be sure.

Anyway, lets assume he is! Yay and for a treat I took him for a big off-lead walk a couple of days ago. You wouldn't think he was 9 yrs old seeing him running around like a lunatic.

We headed up to our closest walking trail which is down the back road from my house. Last time we went there it had been suddenly fenced and gated and a whole mob of scarey looking big cows (and cute calves) were in there (even tho it's actually Gunn's land). But I asked around and found out they are owned by "the footy club" and Gunns allow them to be put in there sometimes to keep the grass down between the trees.

ANyway. We went through the gate (shutting it after us of course) and I let them off the lead. Tango raced ahead and was tearing around like crazy - he does these fantastic elegant leaps off hilly bits onto the path in front of me ;) . I was carefully examining the dirt path trying to figure out how fresh the cow tracks were - more out of concern for my dogs than the cows - altho I really wasn't 100% sure if Tango would chase cows or not.

He had disappeared into the forest when suddenly up ahead about 4 massive black and white cows came trotting out of the trees and across the path with Tango sort of vaguely in the middle of them. He looked like he belonged there and was thinking "Oh cool! What are we all running for? Can I come too!" and then he sort of stopped and looked confused - like "Wait! What the *#@* are you guys???".

He was in no danger, there was a lot of space between all the cows and they were trotting rather than racing in a mad panic. I was unsure what he'd do but he sort of sniffed a weed (self-consciously?) and then headed off in the other direction from the cows.

I called him (because I decided the rest of the herd were probably just over the hill and I didn't want to encounter all of them) and turned around with Pepper trotting next to me (hoping he would follow) - and he followed immediately. :dummy: I got us back through the gate and across the dirt road to the walking track on the other side of the forest, where we had to get through a fence. I lifted the bottom wire and tried to show Tango that he had to squeeze under it. He just looked at me blankly LOL But I was marvelling at how he was still right next to me even tho he was off-lead. I tried gently pushing him from behind but he freaked and backed away. Suddenly Pepper, who had been standing there patiently waiting for him to get out the way - pushed past him, hunched down, zipped under the fence and went into her "play bow" at him on the other side. With no hesitation, Tango immediately followed and they both galloped off down the path (leaving me to struggle my way under the wire while yelling "WAIT FOR ME YOU LOT" futilely after them) Hahahahaha (and yes I DID accidentally manage to kneel in a pile of cow poop!)

An hour and a half - and three 'dead animal finds' later - we arrived back at the car with two exhausted, smelly happy dogs (and one exhausted harassed me!). Tango was so tired he slept all night and hardly made a peep until late the next day. He was so quiet I actually got a little concerned but as soon as I got food out he was all perky again. He didn't bark at me or leap about in the air over food tho, like he usually does. He was a lot more casual and laid back - for that day anyway.

The boy really is gaining in confidence and fitness and his trust in me just seems to be sky-rocketing - especially after that walk. It was an unfamiliar walking trail and it's the longest walk I've taken him on - off or on-lead.

I don't know how to explain it but it was the first time I felt confident enough to keep walking when I couldn't see him and trust that he'd keep up and find us - which he did - every time. A couple of times he tried to drag some of his "find" with him LMAO (Thanks for that lovely smell Tango) in his eagerness to stay near us. That's a significant thing for Mr Greedy!!! To feel that torn between scoffing something and being with us!

When we weren't sure where he was Pepper would go seeking him, find him and stand on the path "pointing" in his direction. She is amazing! So we'd keep walking past where he was and he'd find us later (with some judicious whistling from me). It felt like a huge amount of bonding went on between us all during that walk.

ANyway. Happy Birthday Tango and congratulations on making it to the grand age of NINE!!! :dummy::(

Oh dear s/chick. You'll have to gather all your Tango and Pepper threads together one day and edit them into book form.

I can almost smell the cows and see your knee splat in a cow pat :eat::rofl: Tango has come out the other end a wonderful dog and as you say, Pepper is amazing.

When I finish reading your posts, I find I have just the biggest smile on my face :confused::laugh::laugh: