Bedding For Arthritis

Teebs

Atlas wouldnt get up this morning, when I finally got him out of bed, he could hardly walk, he has arthritis in his front feet.

He was moved to senior food a little while ago, and next pay day i am starting him on Sashas Blend, he has also had cartrophin (sp?) injections, a set of four, last one was only 2 weeks ago, they seemed to have worked, till this freezing cold snap hit.

I have to go to work now, and as he chews EVERYTHING, the only bedding they have out there are tramp beds and kennels with carpet in it, nothing overly soft. Does anyone have any ideas?? I want to give him something soft to lay on, but just can not work out anything that he is not going to eat :thumbsup:

It is freezing outside and I feel so horrible going to work, but really dont know what to do - If i leave him inside in his crate i still have the same problem, as he will chew any soft bedding.

Will check replies at lunch time, will duck home to check on him

He is only 8. i thought i would have a bit longer till I would have to worry about this sort of stuff :rofl:

Is soft bedding really going to help with arthritic feet? Hips and spine maybe but feet?

Keeping his feet warm would do more good I suspect but this is yoour Atlas we are talking about *sigh* No booties for him?!

I would be inclined to crate him inside on such cold days.

If you really wanted to give him soft bedding - even for warmth - what about putting a muzzle on him? The kind where he can still drink .... don't know so much about muzzles.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Golden Rules

What about getting a bale of straw and put that under or over his carpet in the kennel, make it very thick. It has to be wheat/oat straw not pasture hay. It gets very warm and he will sink into it. Later on you can use it for mulch on the garden.

Poor darlin ,have u thought of a bean bag bed ??I make them to order <Have made heaps & yet to have one destroyed !!my dogs all have them & will eat anything :thumbsup: But they have NEVER destroyed thier bean bag beds,

pm me if u r interested in more info .

Sorry I cant help but I'm very interested in the replys.

Since Madeline has been diagnosed with canine spondylosis I've been looking for a bed for her but so far both her and Griffen have chewed everything.

I want to try a snoozer D1000 but OH is worried about spending so much on a bed if they're only going to rip it apart.

As far as i know, after the original 4 injections, the cartrophen can be given weekly in winter. So this might help him.

I have found for my girl with HD, that the fish oil seems to be working best. She has acupuncture monthly which is also great.

She also has a homeopathic anti inflammatory, called traumeel, which she has every day

She sleeps on a Snooza orthopaedic mattress, which is like an egg crate. You can buy foam like that from Clarke rubber too. She also sleeps on an elevated bed.

There is also a dry food ? Science diet which is supposed to be good for arthritic dogs. I think it's J/D

Might be a bit hard with a chewer :thumbsup:

Edited by CavsRcute

For outdoor kennel - if you can get your hands on some RAW wool ..just bundle that in there! Our dogs have it as bedding - either straight, or in old chaffbags .No fleas- holds warmth amazingly well ..conforms beautifully to the dog's body ..and is supportive - and not pleasant to chew , so doesn't encourage it :thumbsup:

also have a look HERE , maybe?

Sam is nearly 14 yrs and has had HD since he was 3 yrs old

last few years Arthritis has affected his back legs and also a disc in his back is sore

we have had Catrophen injections over the years

but vet has had him on Carprofen tablets ( not cheap ) last few months and they seem to be helping him ( similar to the Catrophen injections)

we give him 1 a day , he also has 5 Omega fish oil caps a day along with Joint Forte powder

outside we have the tramp beds with lambswool seat covers

nice and warm

but he or Tara doesnt chew things

maybe a thick firm peice or rubber or foam ( Clark Rubers Company etc ) covered with some form of lambswool made into a cover that he cant chew off might help

I was led to beleive firm is better than soft for joints

I feel for Atlas as the cold snap here has bought out Arthritis in my left elbow and it is painfull

Where are you, Teebs??

I am just starting to produce 'unkillable' dog beds, for dogs that destroy their bedding... if you would like to test-drive one for me, I am in Canberra.

They are made from tyres and rubber floor matting - give me a couple of hours and I'll put a pic up.

thanks everyone, never thought of straw! might give that a go... i can just see the mess it will make if he wants to kill it :p

Bean bags are a HUGE NO, 6 years later I am still picking beans up from time to time (as is my neighbour) from the last bean bag Atlas had...

I got some Sashas blend at work and starting that tonight.

Where are you, Teebs??

I am just starting to produce 'unkillable' dog beds, for dogs that destroy their bedding... if you would like to test-drive one for me, I am in Canberra.

They are made from tyres and rubber floor matting - give me a couple of hours and I'll put a pic up.

I am in Orange, happy to test drive if you can get it here to me!! I could even come for a drive and pick it up when i get a few days off, Even the top of the range (cant remember what they are called now) bedding i had made from Great rugs has been chewed apart :shrug:

Where are you, Teebs??

Ooh pls tell us more about this bedding!

ETA Trampoline beds should help with the arthritis, it will keep him off the cold ground.

Edited by indigirl

Where are you, Teebs??

Oh Oh :thumbsup::laugh: Test drive big dog volunteer over here!!

Cool!

I can do them in medium (Whippet-ish) and large (more than one dog/giant breed) and there should be a couple ready to go on the weekend... any volunteers for transport to Sydney??

Oh, and sorry, the boy-childs' social demands meant no pix this after noon... maybe tomottow!

Edited by dog geek

What about getting a bale of straw and put that under or over his carpet in the kennel, make it very thick. It has to be wheat/oat straw not pasture hay. It gets very warm and he will sink into it. Later on you can use it for mulch on the garden.

totally agree with the straw idea, have used it for 12 months with no problems, as they have no interest in chewing through the cover to get to the straw.

Just put it into a soft pillow case, for small doggies, or single doona bed cover for large dogs. there may be some spillage on the end of the linen case, but sew a zip into the end or use velco to seal the ends.

the doggies snuggle into the straw bed and it will mould into a cosy bed with no problems, and it is easy to fluff again with a good shake, you can clean the cover and replace the straw as it will break down eventually.

we also use the straw as mulch.

We also tried the super expensive Xl snooza dog beds, my hounds destroyed them in one week. :rofl:

Cool!

I can do them in medium (Whippet-ish) and large (more than one dog/giant breed) and there should be a couple ready to go on the weekend... any volunteers for transport to Sydney??

Oh, and sorry, the boy-childs' social demands meant no pix this after noon... maybe tomottow!

would happily drive to ACT for fun if we couldn't get them on one of the transport runs. have a ute so can carry bulk.

Are you flexible on shape or is the design patent??

have PM'd you

still not sure at this stage, i have tuesday off at this stage, but need to see if my other job can cover my shift, if not i will have to go in...

would that suit you? IF I can get there? If not, i may have to leave it till the week after

dog geek I would be soooooooo up for roadtesting or purchasing an unkillable bed, I am in the ACT :laugh:

We are going through $5 hessian covers for the trampoline bed about once a month at the moment... they've already eaten the feet off and I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to mangle the frame soon :confused: