Desexing Question?

Grace how old is your girl? From memory around 7-8 months? I would let her grow some more. I know she's more active than you thought but some Saints are really active despite people commonly believing they are lazy! Perhaps find a trainer near you to give you some tips on how to wear her out mentally :confused:

It might, but it might not. I'd chat with your breeder about early desexing. See how you go with this trainer and what he thinks. Personally I do believe it takes the edge off them a little but as you can see by the other responses not many others do :rofl:

Thanks. Clyde i rang her breeder and she has put me onto craig murray training which im starting on the 24th just thought desexing might make a difference.

Knowing Craig personally, you could not, in my opinion go to a better person. Good Luck.

I had Genevieve spayed last week (16 weeks) - she is still mental! Probably too early to know.

We had Aurora, our family dog spayed at about the same age and we notice a huge difference with her almost straight away. We also noticed when she got to about five, she went through a bit of a metamorphesis and is now a MUCH calmer dog. She was (and still is for an aging dog) always on the hyperactive side.

Could someone please explain to me, why are dogs ears tattooed when they are spayed? Is this just a Victorian thing? I was most surprised and a little upset when Genevieve came home branded. I was not expecting that, as Aurora was never tattooed.

Edited by Wizzle

I had Genevieve spayed last week (16 weeks) - she is still mental! Probably too early to know.

Did you expect the speying to settle a pup down? I have never known it to - It's not just female hormones that determine behaviour :welcome: genetics/environment/training are what does this , IMO.

tattoos are done, AFAIK as a quick/easy way to determine if a bitch has been speyed , as there are no external signs .

Glad genevieve hasn't let the op cramp her style! :thumbsup:

Did you expect the speying to settle a pup down? I have never known it to - It's not just female hormones that determine behaviour :laugh: genetics/environment/training are what does this , IMO.

tattoos are done, AFAIK as a quick/easy way to determine if a bitch has been speyed , as there are no external signs .

Glad genevieve hasn't let the op cramp her style! :laugh:

I didn't spey Genevieve with the hope of calming her down! She would have been speyed regardless of any possible personality changes! I don't think I would want her personality to change really, yes she gets excited from time to time, but she is a puppy. All puppies do that. If she turns out anything like her dog parents, she will be a pretty placid, laid back dog. As we speak, she is asleep on the couch... after a big day at work with me!

She may be a little dog, but she has BIG personality!!! I am pretty sure this dog has lived on this planet before! :D

Thank you for answering my question about the tattoo! We joked for a couple of days that we had a wayward child, getting a tat without her parents permission!! :laugh:

My dog got speyed at 8 weeks, so I've got no clue if her personality changed.

My (untested scientifically) theory, is that a dog that gets desexed before adolesence - will remain more puppy like in behaviour - mine certainly has. Though she's not two years old yet.

We managed to persuade a guy down our local park that getting his dog desexed was a good idea but I think he actually did it because all the humping was embarrasing. And it did reduce the humping. I think the dog was around 6 months old when it got done and a SWF so borderline whether it had hit "puberty" yet.

I know some entire male dogs that are complete sooks with everybody and every dog. So they don't always become snarling female hunting balls of excessive testosterone.

4 desexed

1 female @2 years no change whatsoever

1 male at 5 years definate change, actually got less sooky and now acts like he guards the yard lol

1 male @ 12 weeks is very sane but who knows he may have been like that anyway

1 male @ 10 weeks who is very protective of his kid,car and house but he may have been like that anyway

As a breeder I have desexed quite a few dogs and have found it usually makes a difference to male moreso than females.

Males tend not to want to fight or roam as much as they used to but it doesn't cut down the territorial protective instincts - it just reduces the aggression to varying degrees.

In females it sometimes just takes the edge off any aggression or excessive behaviours but is certainly not a panacea for all behavioural problems.

It comes down to the fact that all dogs are different and every outcome will also be different. :p