Looking For Good Offleash Dog Walks In Melbourne

Isabel964

Hi Everyone, I live near the Knox Shopping area at the foot of the Dandenongs. I am trying to find some places I can take my dogs to for walk, preferably offleash. I am happy to drive up to an hour away to give the dogs some quality time as they love adventures and running free.

Any places,hints and tips would be much appreciated :rofl:

Ps I know to watch out for snakes etc, and I know the dogs can't go in national parks. One thing also is to be careful and know where there are baits for foxes etc that dogs might like to try.

Edited by Sky

Warrandyte along the river from Stiggants Reserve to the Bridge is all off leash.

Mitcham has off leash parks around Cochrane St.

A friend and I used to walk along a walking track off Boronia Road near Eastlink, (on the north side of Boronia Rd) I can't remember if it was off leash or not, as it was over 15 years ago. Koomba Park is the south side of Boronia Road ( That is an on leash park)

Edited by jm266

Not really official or anything but my OH and I take our dogs to the grass area that the 7th day adventist church has on Mountain Highway.

Not a huge area and not fully fenced off, but as long as you make sure your dogs dont go into the car park you should be fine.

Saturdays are out though :rofl:

Oh I'd love to check out Warrandyte, especially some water for my pup to play in (if he likes, never been before).

Stiggants Reserve looks good, I drive pass it twice a week at least. Day off tomorrow, might check it out! :rofl:

http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/live/home...ml?s=1104259955

This might help :-) I am also looking for off lead areas, but around Emerald, Cockatoo, Gembrook etc.

Have you tried Wrights Forrest in Bailey Rd Cockatoo? It's nice in there. Quite a few different tracks to follow. I have walked every inch of it with my dogs, they love it. Much better on weekdays, as not as many people around, but still worth it on the weekends.

Also, Kurth Kiln (sp?) park on the Launching Place Rd in Gembrook. Very nice here as well. Lots of tracks to follow. Not so many people either.

I've lived in Cockatoo for 11 years and so far, these are the only two places I have found to go with the dogs, where you can let them off lead for a good run, while you enjoy a peaceful walk in the bush.

You probably already know about the small off-leash area in Cockatoo, on the main Rd, next to the Community Centre.

Unless I want to set up jumps etc for training, I avoid this place. Too small for a decent walk and used by too many other people.

The other two places above, you can walk in peace, while the dogs run ahead and explore. Very safe, no roads to worry about.

..... Wrights Forrest . .....

Glenfern Bushlands on Glenfern Road (Upwey to Ferntree Gully) was excellent. But now it is on-lead because the hoon dog owners spoilt it for everyone by letting their dogs hunt wildlife. Some echidnas and wallabies suffered. So we all suffer. It was a great area for responsible off-lead bush tracks.

I'm worried about Wrights going the same way. Technically it is only on-lead. But the tracks from Cockatoo down to Avonsleigh are great for an off-lead run if dogs have an acceptable re-call and controlled if other dogs being walked. If the irresponsible owners keep allowing their dogs to chase the kangaroos and small animals and monster other dogs we'll have that closed to us also.

Glenfern Bushlands on Glenfern Road (Upwey to Ferntree Gully) was excellent. But now it is on-lead because the hoon dog owners spoilt it for everyone by letting their dogs hunt wildlife. Some echidnas and wallabies suffered. So we all suffer. It was a great area for responsible off-lead bush tracks.

I'm worried about Wrights going the same way. Technically it is only on-lead. But the tracks from Cockatoo down to Avonsleigh are great for an off-lead run if dogs have an acceptable re-call and controlled if other dogs being walked. If the irresponsible owners keep allowing their dogs to chase the kangaroos and small animals and monster other dogs we'll have that closed to us also.

Yes, Wrights is not a designated off-leash area, according to the list supplied by council, but I have never seen any signage that states dogs must be on lead either. I guess this is why so many locals use it to run their dogs.

So far, I have never had a problem with other dogs. Any people I come across will always do the right thing, by putting their dogs on lead when they see you approach. Once you are past each other, the leads come off again.

There is a danger for wildlife (which I have seen plenty of), but as you say, all dogs off lead should have good recall to be walked in such an area. I hope we do not lose this because of the idiot few that may go there.

Lilydale Lake is good (although no dog swimming in the actual lake) but there seems to be a bunch of groupies who use the creek in the off lead section over summer. :laugh:

I used to do lots of walking at the Liverpool Rd retarding basin in The Basin, I'm not sure what the dog/human culture is like there now but there always seems to be cars in the carpark. I have walked up Pavitt Lane across the road from there and if you turn right into Sheffield Rd you can walk all the way to The Basin-Olinda Rd and back down (round trip ~6km) but it is unmade road so you have to be careful of traffic.

Would like to know if there's any good bush tracks around Kalorama and surrounds that isn't national park..?

Cardinia Reservoir also looks good but it is on lead and some areas where dogs are not allowed...that may have been slackened off recently though I haven't checked the info sheet for it lately.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Yes, Wrights is not a designated off-leash area, according to the list supplied by council, but I have never seen any signage that states dogs must be on lead either. I guess this is why so many locals use it to run their dogs.

So far, I have never had a problem with other dogs. Any people I come across will always do the right thing, by putting their dogs on lead when they see you approach. Once you are past each other, the leads come off again.

There is a danger for wildlife (which I have seen plenty of), but as you say, all dogs off lead should have good recall to be walked in such an area. I hope we do not lose this because of the idiot few that may go there.

Just looked up the website for Wrights park and it states on lead only and dogs only on vehicle tracks so I suppose you could technically get done for having your dog off lead, I was getting excited about this one but oh well.

I am not that keen on walking around in bush by myself! I've been going to Warrandyte a fair bit lately, that is pretty good. The dogs love it.

Another nice doggie outing, although not techncally offlead is the Warby trail. There is also now a cafe in Seville that has outside (under cover) tables that is dog friendly (and horse friendly). It is called the Carriage Cafe. Have been enjoying going there with the pooches, bit of a stroll up the trail and then pig out on scones!!!