Prong Collars

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at that plastic one, i personally think it 'looks' more brutal than the normal prong collar does!!!

Ive never thought there was, or should be, a problem with prong collars. I cant understand how the world can be so superficial as to put down a good, safe, reliable training tool just because of its looks, when injury causing tools like choke chains are considered perfectly 'ok'. The truth is, they can both be helpful in training your dog but they both need to be used properly.

Just FYI

I ordered some dog collars and leads (flat ones) from Clean Run Agility in the States a while back, and they got opened in customs.. I have done a harness order recently with another company, and expect that customs are opening it, as we speak.

Even though the plastic may not show up under x-ray, to my knowledge anything that is declared 'dog collars' coming from overseas - gets opened up and inspected.

Cheers,

Mel. :rofl:

Even though the plastic may not show up under x-ray, to my knowledge anything that is declared 'dog collars' coming from overseas - gets opened up and inspected.

Thats correct. Especially if it comes from a company packaged as a internet sale.

Less chances if ti comes in a hand addressed bubble envelope......... hint hint :rofl:

Seriously guys, if you try to import a prong collar of any description, not only will it be seized, but you will be charged by the RSPCA..... I would advise against getting any prong collar from OS regardless of whether it is plastic or not.

I have to agree....I'm not sure it's worth it in the long run....unfortunately it's a battle that the politicians have won. I'll stick with shipping over care packages of maple syrup and Canadian candy! (won't get into trouble with that!)

Seriously guys, if you try to import a prong collar of any description, not only will it be seized, but you will be charged by the RSPCA..... I would advise against getting any prong collar from OS regardless of whether it is plastic or not.

G'day, Eddy here.

I'll reply in general to everyone, and yep there is seriousness about it due to laws. I feel it's best for everyone to check for yourself so that you know exactly where you stand in relation to the law, then knowing the consequences that could happen to you, then you can make a more informed decision if to use or not. I'm sure if you ended up in court, magistrates would love to listen to everything you mentioned about Prong Collars, and who knows maybe your case might write some new laws in regards to Prong Collars.

In my case, even if I made my own or bought one from interstate, if I used it on any animal I can be charged by the RSPCA or even by the Police as it is against "state law" to use one on any animal. Also if I used one at a dog show or at my local training club, I can additionally face disciplinary action from my dog club and Canine Council for this applies to me in their regulations:-

Victorian Canine Association - Regulations

3.5.2 Dog Collars

The use of dog collars incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise the dog’s skin is prohibited.

Victorian Canine Association - Regulations

3.5.2 Dog Collars

The use of dog collars incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise the dog’s skin is prohibited.

I do agree fully with your post

I would just liek to point out that you can cause bruising to dogs neck by using a check chain.

BTW prong collars are not designed to puncture or bruise anything

I was of the belief that it is ok to use them if you have a written letter from a veterinarian.

My vet was more than happy to write one for me... then went off on a rant about how much better and safer they are etc in his opinion than many other collars on the market.

love your work anne!

if anyone would like to have a demonstration on how it looks like and how it can be used I will bring one tomorrow to Erskine Park and you can train me on it LOL

I will not put it on my dog as I might be facing charges by RSPCA, be kicked out from the CC etc.

If you use this collar in any state you can be prosecuted for using it by the RSPCA.

Different states have differing levels of restrictions but Australia wide you will be prosecuted if things are carried to the full length of the law.

Why do you need a prong collar anyway? there are many ways of training your dog so why persist in trying to get or use something which is banned.

It really doesn't matter what your opinion is of prong collars they are not to be used.

I am so confused by you all including the lady who has a certificate from her vet, it is apparently meaningless, you can still be prosecuted.

Wouldn't it be better to find an alternative method?

So you think is ok?

ok but is still banned from use :confused:

Some people should be prosecuted for their use of check chains, and those are not banned.

What do you do if all methods you know have failed and no instructor in any club can help you?

BTW this is in theory - I just want to make it clear that it is NOT my case.

Pitties and their x's are banned in most places too....some laws are made on the wrong basis and with little to no research and often due to what kinda of media exposure might result.

I might get one myself and if anyone questions me i'll show mine around my neck and the dogs matching one and say as far as i knew they were a new fashion accessory :confused:

Hi Rusky - i think these collars do have their uses

I was fostering (now own) a girl with severe fear agression and she is extremely strong. If I took her out with a martingale she was able to (and did) pull me over. If I put her on a check/choke she would choke herself in her fear and pulling

So I consulted a trainer (a very good one) and we decided to try the prong on her. She now doesn't pull and rarely has a correction (self correction btw) It allows me to take her out and safely exercise her and work on her fears. She's coming along really nicely

Rusky:

If you use this collar in any state you can be prosecuted for using it by the RSPCA.

K9: maybe you can direct us to the NSW law that says that.

R:

Wouldn't it be better to find an alternative method?

K9: its not a method, its a tool.

But maybe you can tell us how you would re train a habitual puller that could easily out pull the owner? & how many dogs you have trained like this.

Edited by K9 Force