Question For Owners Of Reactive Dogs

corvus

Those of you with reactive dogs, do you find them to be unpredictable in their behaviour? Will they always react to a trigger in the same way? Assuming that with decreased distance to the trigger you would see an increased intensity in their behaviour rather than a different behaviour?

Edited by corvus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Corvus, I have a reactive dog, only one I've ever had and it's quite an experience and steep learning curve :rofl:

I know what sets off her reactivity (many things)

In my experience you predict correctly, same behaviour, more intense closer to the trigger.xxx

My girl is very unpredictable, but after several years I am able to predict most things. I handle it by avoiding triggers as much as possible. She will try to avoid triggers herself, but due to others, sometimes it is difficult.

Having a reactive dog has made me quite anxious. I'm usually on high alert!!! :):rofl:

Hi Corvus

I too have a reactive dog.

There are quite a few things that will set him off. I can predict his reactions every time.

He is set off by small dogs yapping intensely. He is set off by large excited dogs.

Yes the closer the offending trigger he more reaction he gives off.

He knows I am on top of him all the time, yet he does not seem fazed.

Yes it is a learning curve and one I would not wish on the inexperienced at all.

I am always on high alert Monah, but I do not feel that my vibes I give off mke it any worse. He is what he is.

I try to avoid putting him in a difficult situation but am always faced by exhibitors who seem to think that every dog out there should be cool, calm and collected. And therefore all dogs should be sociable to others just because theirs' are.

The reality is, he is a Bull breed and he has an attitude.

Both my dog aggro dog and my dog who can be reactive to dogs in his face are predictable in their behaviour. Much better when the other dog is calm and ignores them, more likely to react if the dog is exciteable/barking/lunging/pulling etc

Yeah.. Emmy.

I can start to read her better and better.. but there are times where it's still unpredictable.

Emmy is very easily startled and is wary about new people, animals and situations. As long as I prepare her with things (like give her heads up when people are approaching or distract her with something), then she will be fine... still be a little stand offish but calm. when she gets more confident and secure, she will be good.

Edited by CW EW

Buster is very reactive towards dogs, he's come a long way in the last few years but his behaviour is the same every time. It used to be whining, pulling, yelling etc. Now its a very intense stare and a bit of tension on the leash, same every time, more intense as space is decreased.

Unpredictable but predictable. Makes sense doesn't it? She is dog reactive but sometimes she will ignore dogs totally, some times with DA dogs lunging at her she just whines to play, sometimes with calm dogs that have not even looked at her she will go absolutly crazy and want to kill them. I can read her and avoid triggers/train through them but she doesnt always act as expected.

ie recent example1- Border collie at a distance,perfect manners. I had Bonnie sit so they can pass with a wide birth. She is calm, happy, dog totally ignores her and keeps eye contact with his owner. At 5m away, Bonnie snaps, starts lunging,acting like a feral attack dog.

example 2- Walking her with my OH and two of my babies in the double pram. We are rushed on a blind corner by 4 lhasa apso dogs, 3 of the dogs go in for the attack, one bites her twice on her leg. Bonnie's reaction? Whinning and wanting to play with them. You would expect her to be protective and react to an actual bite. Nope she leaves me to chase off/roar at the offending dogs and give their owner a mouthfull.

Dogs, go figure!

Guest Clover

Mine is predictable most of the time, i know what sets him off and try to avoid letting him get into those situations.

Dallas my standard girl is very reactive to other dogs/cats and unfamilier children. For me she is quite predictable but that is because we have learn't over the years what sets her off. Ocasionally she will meet a dog she loves and becomes totally submissive this is more where I find her unpredictable. I am trying to work out what particular qualities these individual dogs have.

It is very very hard to live with and although she is my heart dog I hope I never have another dog with her temperament again, in her defence she is a perfect house dog with exceptional manners and she turns heads everywhere we go.