Open Day At Dogs Sa

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whiskedaway, I think the DOL dogs were the cutest dogs there..... ;)

Nandi got a judge's choice for 'best dress'..... :banghead:

I'm just home too and maybe the odd one out here but thought it was very poor with nothing really organised to watch and keep your interest, sorry but next time will take the dog to the beach instead.

Thought there might have been some agility or obedience and hopefully flyball demonstrations but there was none of it, did hear the announcement of duck herding but where was it held???

Met Miss Squish for the first time , we both used to go to the same obedience school but didn't know her to see, if ya get my drift.

Although I enjoyed the day, I was there 2 years ago and today was not nearly as good.

There was a short spot on the news but it didnt look very crowded (had thought about going but too stuffed after royal week). Daresay due to the weather many waited until yesterday to go to the show and didnt want to go out for a second day straight if it really was as quiet as it looked on tv.

I'm just home too and maybe the odd one out here but thought it was very poor with nothing really organised to watch and keep your interest, sorry but next time will take the dog to the beach instead.

Thought there might have been some agility or obedience and hopefully flyball demonstrations but there was none of it, did hear the announcement of duck herding but where was it held???

Met Miss Squish for the first time , we both used to go to the same obedience school but didn't know her to see, if ya get my drift.

I think the timing of the day was poor, there was an agility trial on today and being the day after the Royal show, the last thing most exhibitors feel like is spending another day answering stupid questions. I was stuffed from the Royal and it was a strugle to get there this morning. I would have enjoyed it a lot more had it not been right after the Royal.

what a shame ......the first one 2 years ago was very well attended by all the doggy sports. Really need a weekend that has nothing on so as many people that can will participate.

Michelle

what a shame ......the first one 2 years ago was very well attended by all the doggy sports. Really need a weekend that has nothing on so as many people that can will participate.

Michelle

I agree with Lyndsay's statements - agility trial on today and being day after Royal did not help. Also families that have been out to the Royal are unlikely to go out again. There were still quite a few people there but did not seem as much as last time.

With the herding we were in our arena which is the opposite side of the grounds to the canteen area, across the driveway in a paddock. We set our flag up and made sure it was visible but of course once everyone arrived and there were cars parked in front of us it made us tricky to find. A reasonable number wondered over to have a look but it would have been nice to see some others.

Piper and Jazz did a Dancing with Dogs demo at 10am before most people arrived which was good as they were both feral at that point in time, lol. Piper did a second 1 just before 3pm while the cameraman was there. Not sure what time he arrived but judging by the footage they used it was all done in about 5 minutes and after most of the crowd had dispersed. It was pretty crowded by the main ring when the pet show was on.

Whiskedaway, I think the DOL dogs were the cutest dogs there..... :o

Nandi got a judge's choice for 'best dress'..... :swing:

Pele won "Best Tricks" for the 2nd time :p

PELE1010444.jpg

Yellowgirl and gorgeous little Maddie won a few prizes too :o

I agree that the timing of the event wasn't good as everyone is showed out :happydance:

We ended up with two of those frisbees. Of course, Akira has no clue what to do with it. :swing:

Pele's tricks were awesome.

And yeah, we were a bit shocked at how small it was. We probably did about three laps of the circle throughout the day. I was a bit disappointed there was no Spitz stands at all, though we bumped into a few Husky owners which was nice. As a breed (or group of breeds :p) we were a bit under represented.

Yeah there wasn't really much to see.. but I'm not sure what people were expecting really? I dont think it was meant to be an all day event and for christ sakes it was FREE lol! It was good to have a meander through to look at all the breed displays.. I was hoping to buy a few new collars and leads, etc for our dogs but there wasn't really much of anywhere to buy things like that from :p. I thought it was moderately crowded though? We were there from about 11 - 1 and I was surprised at the amount of dogs there! I thought the competitions looked like lots of fun :swing: Shame we had to leave before they were all over though, would have to of stayed and watched :o. Next year maybe :happydance:

They may need to advertise it a bit more :swing: . I only knew of it because I look on the Dogs SA website. I think I saw a brochure a few months ago and that was it. It's a shame it was not as good as it could be, I know in North America they have a lot of things like ''Dog's Day Out'' or 'Woofstock'' which always looks like so much fun.

We're home too. We bumped into Tokkie and Yellowgirl at the competitions (Akira got a judge's choice for Smoochiest Pooch because she chose exactly the right moment to cover my face with kisses :swing:) and we also spoke to Lyndsay and Bully. I saw Miss Squish as well and was going to say hi but she was busy and we never got back over there again.

Congrats on the win.

We ended up leaving before they'd even announced cutest dog. We had 4 dogs with us and we were buggered.

Michelle

I agree with Lyndsay's statements - agility trial on today and being day after Royal did not help. Also families that have been out to the Royal are unlikely to go out again. There were still quite a few people there but did not seem as much as last time.

With the herding we were in our arena which is the opposite side of the grounds to the canteen area, across the driveway in a paddock. We set our flag up and made sure it was visible but of course once everyone arrived and there were cars parked in front of us it made us tricky to find. A reasonable number wondered over to have a look but it would have been nice to see some others.

Piper and Jazz did a Dancing with Dogs demo at 10am before most people arrived which was good as they were both feral at that point in time, lol. Piper did a second 1 just before 3pm while the cameraman was there. Not sure what time he arrived but judging by the footage they used it was all done in about 5 minutes and after most of the crowd had dispersed. It was pretty crowded by the main ring when the pet show was on.

I think I saw you and Jazz doing dancing with dogs :swing: I was there briefly with my Chessie to walk off some steam before his flight. The birds there were very very distracting for a Chessie pup :p

Whiskedaway, I think the DOL dogs were the cutest dogs there..... :happydance:

Nandi got a judge's choice for 'best dress'..... :swing:

Pele won "Best Tricks" for the 2nd time :o

PELE1010444.jpg

Yellowgirl and gorgeous little Maddie won a few prizes too :happydance:

I agree that the timing of the event wasn't good as everyone is showed out :o

:p Yeah Pele!!!

I took my daughter and she had a ball meeting and patting all of the dogs.

Unfortunately I had to go to work, so had to leave at about 1230.

It was nice to see so many DOLers.

I have never seen an irish wolfhound, wow are those guys big!!

I was keeping an eye out for Nandi, but couldn't find her. Maybe cos she is sooo little!!

Edited by harley

Caught up with a few DOLers which was great :laugh: . Looks like I missed a few too, we should have been wearing badges or something! :laugh:

Pele had to win best trick, she was awesome!

Madeline won 1st prize for cutest dog!!! 2nd prize for best trick, and 2nd prize for best in show!!! :laugh:

I think Nandi won one of the best dressed prizes, she looked soooo cute in her little dress :laugh:

I didn't get much time to look around, when Maddie wasn't in the competitions, I was answering loads questions about Maddie and Chinese Cresteds!