How Does Your Dog Get Your Attention?

haylz27

I noticed my dog has this new thing where she puts her paws up on the computer desk while I'm sitting here, and she paws me on the arm and if I look away after looking at her, she does it again until I get up. :) It's usually when she wants to go out for a wee or wants food. My other dog just stands there with her tail wagging and gets all excited.

What about your dogs? Do they get your attention somehow? eg: by barking?

I noticed my dog has this new thing where she puts her paws up on the computer desk while I'm sitting here, and she paws me on the arm and if I look away after looking at her, she does it again until I get up. :) It's usually when she wants to go out for a wee or wants food. My other dog just stands there with her tail wagging and gets all excited.

My Aussie Millie did what you described about 1 minute ago. I said; go to bed and wait, and she grumbled and jumped on her bed. She wants to go out for a wee but I need to find my dressing gown first. :D Generally she will whine at the door or ring her bell at the door. All our dogs know the bell = outside.

My Aussie Millie did what you described about 1 minute ago. I said; go to bed and wait, and she grumbled and jumped on her bed. She wants to go out for a wee but I need to find my dressing gown first. :D Generally she will whine at the door or ring her bell at the door. All our dogs know the bell = outside.

Haha! One of my dogs is actually asleep ON my dressing gown which is on my bed... there's no blankets to keep her warm because I have them all wrapped around me. :) It's so cold tonight. Maybe I should go to bed... I don't know why I'm up this late lurking around the forums. :rofl:

Haha! One of my dogs is actually asleep ON my dressing gown which is on my bed... there's no blankets to keep her warm because I have them all wrapped around me. :) It's so cold tonight. Maybe I should go to bed... I don't know why I'm up this late lurking around the forums. :rofl:

tell me about it. I have a 10 apointment with the motorbike shop and the bf has to get up for work at 5am... here I am at 3 am bored out of my mind pllaying facebook games and lurking DOL.

Haha! One of my dogs is actually asleep ON my dressing gown which is on my bed... there's no blankets to keep her warm because I have them all wrapped around me. :) It's so cold tonight. Maybe I should go to bed... I don't know why I'm up this late lurking around the forums. ;)

tell me about it. I have a 10 apointment with the motorbike shop and the bf has to get up for work at 5am... here I am at 3 am bored out of my mind pllaying facebook games and lurking DOL.

Me too... I'm playing FB games as well. :rofl: *sigh* I'm not even tired.

Finn tells me. Vocally. And extremely loudly :) :D I have to say I'm getting quite good at understanding him though! I now know the phrases "Hurry up" "Help" "I want to go outside" "Play with me Cal" and most noticeably since going on medication recently, "I'm hungry!" :) There is also "I want my hoodie on" but I have trouble distinguishing that one from outside and hunger :rofl:

To go outside when the door is shut Jade sits there waiting for you to open it, but if you haven't noticed she might make some kind of soft barking noise. She also might launch off the couch and make funny woofing noises while running to the back door. To get back inside she knocks on he door.

At the computer desk she puts her chin on my mouse arm so I can't move.

Because it's cold at the moment, she stands over my face (er.. while im in bed) at whatever time in the morning. If I stay asleep, she headbutts me/tries to lift the doona up with her nose to jump in.

Also, if I am sick, and passed out in bed/couch during the day, a big lick to the face is sure to scare the sht out of me, and wake me up from that much needed sleep.

if raz wants a pat he will come over and nudge me, in my side (that tickles) or my arm or he will just rest his head on me till i pat him. If he wants to play he wont let me touch him when i go to pat, he will jump away and wag his tail and stare at me, then if i dont respond he starts play bowing and maybe a couple of barks lol

There is nothing subtle about my old boy when he wants something. He will run up and down the hallway barking loudly if he thinks he needs an outing, or some attention or food. If that fails or he thinks I've ignored him too long he will come and sit on me, regardless if there's a computer on my lap :) He will even start chucking around toys if he's 'bored' which he never shows any interest in at other times.

If my younger Vizsla wants under the covers at night he will sit with his face just cm's away from me and breath heavily, very annoying :D

Pepper will sit in front of me with her front legs waving in the air and looking all cute - like a meerkat. If that fails she'll start with the irritating piercing whine LOL

Tango, like FHRP's dog has no subtlety - he climbs on my lap, rubs his head into me then starts darting around barking madly, darting at and scaring Pepper and generally making it impossible to ignore him.

My older Dane makes a clicking sound with her nails i.e. she taps them like she's almost dancing and does this specifically to get attention to be let outside or to say she needs something.

Both have them grown with NILIF so they don't invade space etc to get attention.

Maggie, my older dog, taps on the door if she wants to go out or come in. If she is asking for her dinner she looks at me and makes a howling/whining noise until I make a move to get her dinner. She'll bark at me if she wants me to play. She is a very vocal girl about most things.

Oscar, my puppy, has also learned (Maggie must have taught him!) to tap on the door if he wants out or in. In the morning he wakes me up by hopping up with his front legs on the bed. For everything else he tends to just sit and stare at me.

If its to go outside he'll just patiently wait by the door. If I don't get the hint he will come get me and walk me to the door.

If he wants to play he will almost climb on my lap while I am working or pull my sleeve or bring his nose up under my arm and lift it off the keyboard so I can't type. Cheeky boy he is.

Erik usually barks. He has a "Hey, play with me!" bark and will sit there barking until I look at him and then he wags his tail and looks cute. If he wants to go out, he scratches at the door. He has also been known to poke you with his nose, paw, perform a lovely down while looking up at you brightly and wagging his tail, performing a lovely sit whilst looking up at you brightly and wagging his tail, poking other things with his nose, and various other vocalisations.

Kivi sits in the yard and barks incessantly until you physically go and get him. He often does this when he has dug a hole and feels you need to come and see it. Inside he tends to whine if he wants attention. He will also paw. He has us well trained.