Reducing Scarring On A Dog's Face

Tatelina

Anyone have any tried and tested methods for reducing the effects of scarring on dogs who have gotten into scuffles?

One of my Bull Terrier girls has a maze of nicks and scratches on her face and I'm concerned due to the short amount of fur on the muzzle she will scar horribly and look like she's been through the wars.

Vitamin E? Is this safe to put directly onto grazes as they heal? Or should I wait until she's healed to try and reduce the scarring afterwards?

How can I improve her diet to give her the best oils and minerals to improve her hair regrowth? Fish oil capsules?

Have tried searching the forums and didn't find anything substantial, so if you've found some links please post them up!

I often use aloe vera (plants not cream) on my dogs to heal wounds and rashes (reduces the itch). I have the same prob with my white staffy - she has some bald spots on her snout from rough play scratches and where she has black eye patches the hair has grown back white.

I use Vit E capsules. Prick the ends and squeeze the stuff out of the middle.

Me too, much more potent than the Vit E Cream. Don't feed Vit E only apply it to the scar.

Adding fish oil and evening primrose oil to the diet may also help. The oils are 1000mg per 10kgs.

Manuka honey here ;) ! One of mine went face first into a wire fence after a rabbit and tore a vast triangle out right between her eyes. We used honey on it and she only has a slight line there that is easily chalked for the ring. I was really surprised, it was a horrible spot and so big!

Only trouble is the other dogs licking it off.... :(

Edited by Alyosha

Manuka honey here :( ! One of mine went face first into a wire fence after a rabbit and tore a vast triangle out right between her eyes. We used honey on it and she only has a slight line there that is easily chalked for the ring. I was really surprised, it was a horrible spot and so big!

Only trouble is the other dogs licking it off.... :dummy:

Same here"

* pup's face torn after going into prickly bush after rabbit

* Manuka Honey applied

* There is a scar but it's not significant.

Ah, sighthounds.. gotta love em. ;)

Ah ofcourse! Manuka honey! Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Ok apart from adding primrose oil and fish oil capsules to diet, has anyone else tried or heard of other supplements or feeding regimes to assist with coat rejuvenation as well?

Ok apart from adding primrose oil and fish oil capsules to diet, has anyone else tried or heard of other supplements or feeding regimes to assist with coat rejuvenation as well?

We use Groomers Royal Jelly supplement and shampoo here.

We use Groomers Royal Jelly supplement and shampoo here.

Thanks for the tip!

Medical grade Manuka Honey sapplied to wounds works wonders.

Great stuff and I also use Paw Paw ointment. I have had some huge injuries on one of our horses face and they are now very difficult to even see. Paww Paw is very safe and quite cheap, also great for humans.

Bio Oil

I agree the Bio Oil is worth trying.

My boy has had a perpetuating scar that seems to look as though it will heal, but then doesn't. It is on the inside tip of his ear. It started out as a pimple thing that he then scratched, and that started a bout of head shaking. He can as much shake his head when his collar is on, and his ear tip flapping on his collar is sometimes enough to open things up again. The scabs have not been good either. More like rough and raised, yet a degree of moisture - enough to make it oily. The scab never comes off to reveal nice new healthy skin. I've had a few Vets look at it and I've tried various remedies such as AMH (very messy! and didn't seem to help); Calendula; Anti-bacterial wound spray; and so on. Some of these things helped to stop it becoming worse, I think. But didn't lead to resolution.

I've more recently been applying Vitamin E Oil (using the oil from the capsules) and also Bio Oil. And I must say that his ear tip is the best it's looked in a long time. I'm hoping the healing process which I think I am now finally seeing (after 1.5 years!!!) will continue. Of the two, I think the Bio Oil is doing the best. But I do use the Vitamin E Oil at times when I feel it needs a bit more protection (even if I apply it after I have applied the Bio Oil).

I've also started applying Bio Oil on his hocks, where he has lesions that have appeared - not unlike furunculosis type symptoms. In appearance, they seem to have improved, although they still exist. But the skin seems softer and I'm hoping this will promote hair re-growth.

Sorry - not meaning to tell you of my boy's woes and detract from your thread, but thought you might like to know of my recent experience in the use of Bio Oil and also the Vitamin E Oil.

Edited by Erny

• 2 weeks later...