Options For Leaving For 4 Weeks?

Persian Spitz

My OH and I are planning on going away for four weeks. We're considering our options on what to do with our boy.

Option 1 is to leave him with the breeder we adopted him from. The upside is that way he'll be surrounded with others of his kind and should be happy. My OH is thinking the downside of that is he might forget us or pick up habits from the other dogs there.

Option 2 is to leave him at the vet because they have a pet boarding service. The upside of that is we can also leave our cat so a familiar face might be less stressful and the vet is right there. The downside is they might be caged most of the time or feel abandoned.

Option 3 is to have someone come over to our place to walk, feed and clean up after him and his brother, the cat. The downside is that he'll be alone for maybe 95% of the time.

Is there a fourth option that I haven't though of yet? What would be the best course of action?

I would go with the breeder option too, sounds like he would have a great time.

We recently left our two dogs in boarding kennels for 4.5 weeks while we were overseas and I can assure you they did not forget us at all...their faces just lit right up when they saw us (as much as a dog's face can light up anyway!) They had had a great time, looked wonderful and did not come home with any bad habits at all.

I would prefer to go back to a breeder than use a vet or home carer service.

Just my opinion, but I'd say "no' to Option 3. The pets would be left unsupervised & without human company for most of the day for a very long 4 week period. Too much danger of fretting & of trying to escape to find you (the dog) or for wandering to find someone else (the cat).

I like the idea of your dog having a holiday back with his breeder. I wouldn't worry too much about his picking up some different 'habits' from his rellies. Easy to get him back into the routine when you return home.

The vet option sounds promising, too, as both the dog and the cat would be together. But that would depend on what kind of attention, housing & exercise the vet clinic provides. I'd also be just a tiny bit concerned that they'd be in the vet clinic for long nights without a human on the premises.

But, as you say, maybe there are other options people can suggest.

I'd leave him with the breeder. Your dog will not forget you. He may pick up a bad habit, but I beileve the benefit of having your dog with someone who knows dogs, knows the breed and you obviously trust enough to breed you your dog is far greater than the risk of a bad habit he may pick up that with consistency and back to his normal routine you would probably train out of him in no time.

Edited by FHRP

I'd go for the breeder option, too. I love my breeder, wonderful lady, but she doesn't have the capacity to look after anyone else's dogs, so I envy those of you who have breeders you can leave your dogs with if you need it! I have my parents to leave my dogs at, but if the whole family decide to go on holiday (which we've often talked about), then I will probably have to do the boarding kennel thing.

If it was me I would leave him with the breeder. He may or may not come back and try out a few cheeky things, but even if he does, you can easuly deal with this.

He will not forget you.

I would not board at a vet. Vets are places where sick animals go. Yes, the boarding is usually in a separate area or building, but the staff often move from one area to another... just too risky IMO.

In your own home, he will be throw totally out of whack not knowing where you guys have gone. He is better off being in a totally different environment that he will not expect necessarily you to be in.

Just my opinion.

Edited by dyzney

RubyStar - when i left my boys with their breeder for two weeks i just paid cost of food :thumbsup:

I'd suggest going with the Breeder option, or with a good Boarding Kennel (many can board cats and dogs, not together tho), I've put my dogs into a boarding kennel as well, tho the one i chose also did 'live in' training with them for extra $$ - i figured it was a good price for additional enrichment (they did get time to run about on the property as well).

Another good option is a housesitter - that way the dog remains in his normal environment. Just depends if you can find some one to housesit.

Otherwise I would vote for the breeder, assuming the breeder keeps their dogs in a similar manner to how you keep your dog - for example, do they keep their dogs inside or in runs. We have several that come back on a regular basis. They typically break the hearts of their families by running off to play with the other dogs and don't even notice their families leaving LOL, but they are always pleased to see their families come back, and happily go home. I have super strong fencing, so their owners know they can't get out.

As to costs, I do charge, probably about half of what a good boarding kennel would cost. I pay all their costs when they are with me (food, tick prevention if necessary etc), and if they needed any veterinary treatment, say they hurt themselves when in my care, I would expect to pay that as well, so what I charge covers these costs. When they are here they are treated just like my dogs, and are inside with everyone else, and they are fed premium food, and are bathed and groomed. One sleeps in our bedroom when he visits, as I can't get him to settle otherwise.

As Tansy said, a housesitter may be an option for you.

We have had a couple of different sitters come and stay at our home when we go away. Each time we have been very comfortable with the people we have chosen. One family has been back twice for 2 weeks each Jan. They love to have a home as a base, no accommodation costs and dogs to dote on. We will ask them again this Jan.

We would only choose someone who would be around a lot of the time and is happy to spend quality time with the dogs. Not that one of them gives two hoots anyway. Cranky old bugger.

The dogs get very well looked after and our home isn't left empty for a long period of time. And the big bonus is that it is free for everyone. Can't beat that!

You could try Pet Sitters Australia - we service sydney and adelaide. Check out the website at www.petsitaus.com.au

We offer the in carers home option (your dog stays at an approved carers home) or the in your home option (where the carer will stay overnight). Seeing as you also have a cat, I would recommend the carer staying in your home overnight. That way both pets are happy in their own environment. :thumbsup:

Edited by GSD FAN

On my recent OS holiday my 2 Weis went back to their breeder for over 6 weeks and had a marvellous time. I have a great relationship with my breeder and I knew she would look after them 110%, so leaving them for so long eased my mind. They didn't forget me and neither did they pick up any bad habits, well except for rolling in cow poo. :thumbsup:

My little Brittany went into a boarding kennel owned by someone I know and trust and also coped very well considering she is 13 and a half.

So if it was me, first option would be your breeder, then a very good boarding kennel.