Home Wanted - Lagotto On North Shore Of Sydney

Guest sharynriding

Guest sharynriding

I have a friend who unfortunately is in the throes of a nasty divorce and has had to move into rented accommodation and cannot take her dog with her. He is a 4 year old lagotto and she is looking for a home for him on the North Shore of Sydney.

Fred lives outside, has been raised with two children, and is a lovely outgoing desexed boy. He does need some more training as his manners are a little atrocious at times. He can be DA when on lead but I was walking him five days a week and we were getting over this issue. Unfortunately I moved away so am unsure if his current dog walker is still keeping up with his training. Off lead, he is fine with big and small dogs.

He has always been an outside dog but do think he would benefit from being a real family member and coming indoors and experiencing life with the family. He is an affectionate, friendly dog and needs a good home. His energy levels are pretty high but I do think that may have also been a reflection of being in the backyard bored a lot of the time.

If anyone would like any more information on Fred, please PM me and I can pass on the relevant details of his owner. Many thanks.

Guest sharynriding

Not sure if the breeder has been contacted. Have suggested but she wants to find a home close to her and the family is the more important criteria for her at present. I do think she wants to be able to see him now and then too, hence the North Shore of Sydney being an important factor.

Breeder would be first call.

Then to be honest ,bit bloody selfish to expect to rehome him locally so she can see him, not fair on the dog, and placing him in the right home is more important i would have thought. :provoke:

I live on the upper-north shore (sort of) and would love to have a Lagotto, but we don't have a large yard (our Charlie is an inside dog) and I'm under orders from the rest of the family I'm afraid... No second dog or they all leave home .... mmmmm, let me think about this some more...

I spoke to a Lagotto breeder in Sydney a few months ago, she was absolutely fantastic, I was very impressed. They are a rare breed and she would def take one of her dogs back, we discussed this actually as I had found one being rehomed.

Usually, breeders have waiting lists - believe me, rehoming is not easy. It's not about giving the dog to the first "nice" people that call. There are plenty of pitfalls for private rehomers.

I'm also appalled that the person wants to see the dog after giving it away. I can understand it when people go into nursing homes or hospitals and are physically unable - if I took on one of their dogs, I would take the dog to see them. Generally, when people are rehoming their dogs and they indicate they still want to see the dog - I say "no", it is too disruptive to the dog and quite simply NOT FAIR to the dog or the new owners.

You love the dog - keep the dog. You give the dog away - say goodbye.

Edited by dogmad

We've got a Lagotto next door and another one a few doors down. Both from the same breeder. Next door saw the other Lagotto and had to have one.

We also have a Lagotto that comes to our Vet practise. They are always such happy peoples. :rofl: The Lagotto's that is....the owners are pretty happy too. :crossfingers:

Guest sharynriding

Thank you everybody for your input. I am trying to help a friend out. Her reasoning behind wanting to see the dog after it is rehomed, is her children. Their lives are being ripped apart at present due to her divorce and she is trying her best to do what she can for everybody. She does not have the benefit of the knowledge and awareness of a lot of people on DOL and thought she was doing the best for all concerned, including the dog. As I have said, I'm just trying to help her out.

I spoke to a Lagotto breeder in Sydney a few months ago, she was absolutely fantastic, I was very impressed. They are a rare breed and she would def take one of her dogs back, we discussed this actually as I had found one being rehomed.

Usually, breeders have waiting lists - believe me, rehoming is not easy. It's not about giving the dog to the first "nice" people that call. There are plenty of pitfalls for private rehomers.

I'm also appalled that the person wants to see the dog after giving it away. I can understand it when people go into nursing homes or hospitals and are physically unable - if I took on one of their dogs, I would take the dog to see them. Generally, when people are rehoming their dogs and they indicate they still want to see the dog - I say "no", it is too disruptive to the dog and quite simply NOT FAIR to the dog or the new owners.

You love the dog - keep the dog. You give the dog away - say goodbye.

Well said Dogmad