Petition To Help Save Esky The Dingo X

Ravyk

Please take a moment to sign this petition:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-e...ingo-cross.html

News Article:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-a...3-1225905620405

ESKY the dingo dog is standing at death's door.

Once a friendly, loveable family pet, the dingo-cross is days away from being destroyed by order of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

The devastated Mid North family who raised the pup, unaware it was a dingo, have made an 11th-hour bid to rescue their pet - or at the very least, see Esky before it is euthanised. But the department's chief officer, Allan Holmes, is refusing to allow Esky's owner Tanya and her family, who do not wish to be named, to see the dingo dog one last time.

The department also will not disclose the location of the dingo, which was seized earlier this year from Cleland Conservation Park, where the family had turned for help, asking for DNA testing of their pet when they suspected it could be part dingo.

Yesterday, the department stated the DNA tests showed Esky was 85 per cent dingo with "strong physical dingo characteristics".

Under law, "the possession or attempted domestication of dingoes is unacceptable because such practices are likely to lead to the re-introduction of dingoes into sheep areas, which could jeopardise the future of the wool industry", the department stated.

Owner Tanya said she felt like her heart had "been ripped out".

She had bought Esky as a puppy in Adelaide and owned him for 18 months before taking him to Cleland. Yesterday was the final day for her to make applications to keep Esky or move him interstate. "There hasn't been a day go by since January when we left him at Cleland . . . that I haven't thought about him," she said. "I cry myself to sleep at night."

In a letter to the family, Mr Holmes wrote it was not likely they would get a permit to keep Esky or move with the animal interstate.

In a statement to The Advertiser, department media manager Stephen Cox wrote if the owners were not granted a permit "the preferred option is to rehouse the dingo, and a potential option to house it in Victoria is being actively pursued".

How ridiculous. How can one small country have such varying laws about EVERYTHING! If they were in NSW, they could keep it as a house-hold pet. In Vic, you need a permit and a cage. In SA, you might reintroduce it to sheep country? WTF? Its like QLD and its rabbits - dudes, there are already LOTS of wild rabbits in QLD, a few pet bunnies aren't going to make a difference!

Here in Whyalla; SA there is a dingo at the rspca who will be gassed unless found a home for out of state.

RSPCA here in whyalla does not have permission to euth so all animals are still gassed.

If anyone wants to help out Ernie the dingo in Whyalla, SA please PM me.

have signed the petition I cannot be anymore disgusted with the government then I already am.. To take such a creature away and to sentence him like that! I hope they listen to the petition/outcry!

Park eyre, I wonder if there is a dingo rescue group who could save him? might have to do some research after work..

I can't believe they are destroying native animals like that.. so sad!!

The problem is that most dingoes are hybrids and it is illegal to keep dingo or dingo crosses in SA, I don't like their chances to get them saved. I remember a week or so ago a DOL member in SA mentioned that they had a dingo cross living with them and I shuddered, however it must have been a typo and should have read kelpie cross :cry:

I remember the dingoes having pups at a certain wildlife park I was involved in and I used to love them and would play with them for hours only to come in one day to find out they had all been "put down' as they were surplus to the needs of the park and no other park wanted them. Hello! why let them breed then :)

The problem is that most dingoes are hybrids and it is illegal to keep dingo or dingo crosses in SA, I don't like their chances to get them saved. I remember a week or so ago a DOL member in SA mentioned that they had a dingo cross living with them and I shuddered, however it must have been a typo and should have read kelpie cross :cry:

I remember the dingoes having pups at a certain wildlife park I was involved in and I used to love them and would play with them for hours only to come in one day to find out they had all been "put down' as they were surplus to the needs of the park and no other park wanted them. Hello! why let them breed then :)

That makes me mad. We are slowly losing our only native dog due to trapping and cross breeding. They're native for godsake and we don't have many left, we should be protecting them not killing them!

That makes me mad. We are slowly losing our only native dog due to trapping and cross breeding. They're native for godsake and we don't have many left, we should be protecting them not killing them!

Well, no, they are not. But have been here long enough to form its own unique "breed" that sets it apart from other asian "dingos" (meaning they look similar but you can usually tell where it has come from)

This leaves us with a dilema. Preserve a non native? Or preserve a distinct breed of dog that has been here long enough to fill the niche of our missing large land based carnivores. Australia has this problem in a few areas. We have the only wild dromedaries in the world, We have a stable population of Bali banteng, which like the dingo is a primative "domestic" breed yet is endangered in it's home country. Where do we draw the line? They say our sparrows are genetically changing from their european ancestors. Will we one day treat them as a new native species?

This is so sad :) Why cant he be rehomed interstate if the owners are agreeable?

I get so mad when there's news items about the dingoes up here on Fraser island, showing how emaciated they are and how there won't be any left soon.

Why doesn't someone go and give the poor things some bloody food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, no, they are not. But have been here long enough to form its own unique "breed" that sets it apart from other asian "dingos" (meaning they look similar but you can usually tell where it has come from)

This leaves us with a dilema. Preserve a non native? Or preserve a distinct breed of dog that has been here long enough to fill the niche of our missing large land based carnivores. Australia has this problem in a few areas. We have the only wild dromedaries in the world, We have a stable population of Bali banteng, which like the dingo is a primative "domestic" breed yet is endangered in it's home country. Where do we draw the line? They say our sparrows are genetically changing from their european ancestors. Will we one day treat them as a new native species?

Well haven't dingoes been here for thousands of years? They were here way before any white people were. From what I have read, it is thought that when the Aboriginals came to Australia they bought the dingoes with them. I don't see why they can't be classified as native, they don't really impact on the rest of the native wildlife as the introduced species do.

To me I can see dingoes going the same way as the thylacine. By the time the jerkwads in power realise something needs to be done, it will be too late. :laugh:

The problem is that most dingoes are hybrids and it is illegal to keep dingo or dingo crosses in SA, I don't like their chances to get them saved. I remember a week or so ago a DOL member in SA mentioned that they had a dingo cross living with them and I shuddered, however it must have been a typo and should have read kelpie cross :laugh:

I remember the dingoes having pups at a certain wildlife park I was involved in and I used to love them and would play with them for hours only to come in one day to find out they had all been "put down' as they were surplus to the needs of the park and no other park wanted them. Hello! why let them breed then :laugh:

But isn't the dog in the article a dingo cross? Its not really 'native' in that case. I agree that we should try to preserve them as a native species, but personally I think that domesticating them is just as bad in terms of removing them from their natural environment.

The problem is that most dingoes are hybrids and it is illegal to keep dingo or dingo crosses in SA, I don't like their chances to get them saved. I remember a week or so ago a DOL member in SA mentioned that they had a dingo cross living with them and I shuddered, however it must have been a typo and should have read kelpie cross :laugh:

I remember the dingoes having pups at a certain wildlife park I was involved in and I used to love them and would play with them for hours only to come in one day to find out they had all been "put down' as they were surplus to the needs of the park and no other park wanted them. Hello! why let them breed then :laugh:

But isn't the dog in the article a dingo cross? Its not really 'native' in that case. I agree that we should try to preserve them as a native species, but personally I think that domesticating them is just as bad in terms of removing them from their natural environment.

I'm talking about what casowner wrote, about a wildlife park breeding dingoes then putting the pups down because no one else wanted any.

Well haven't dingoes been here for thousands of years? They were here way before any white people were. From what I have read, it is thought that when the Aboriginals came to Australia they bought the dingoes with them. I don't see why they can't be classified as native, they don't really impact on the rest of the native wildlife as the introduced species do.

To me I can see dingoes going the same way as the thylacine. By the time the jerkwads in power realise something needs to be done, it will be too late. :laugh:

They have undoubtedly impacted on the native wildlife, but that was long ago and they are unlikely to have any new, surprising impacts. Our camels are supposedly some of the best in the world, but all of our hoofed introduced species are doing damage. Dingoes on the other hand are a minimal threat only to domesticated livestock.

The situation on Fraser Island is terrible. There are no dingoes left to see, and tourism is actually suffering as a result. There is nothing else there for them to eat, and their populations only so just large in the first place because humans fed them. We are now leaving them to die slowly of starvation - it is beyond cruel.

The problem is that most dingoes are hybrids and it is illegal to keep dingo or dingo crosses in SA, I don't like their chances to get them saved. I remember a week or so ago a DOL member in SA mentioned that they had a dingo cross living with them and I shuddered, however it must have been a typo and should have read kelpie cross :D

I'm talking about what casowner wrote, about a wildlife park breeding dingoes then putting the pups down because no one else wanted any.

:laugh: Yes, I probably need to learn to read things properly :laugh:

The situation on Fraser Island is terrible. There are no dingoes left to see, and tourism is actually suffering as a result. There is nothing else there for them to eat, and their populations only so just large in the first place because humans fed them. We are now leaving them to die slowly of starvation - it is beyond cruel.

Is there any reason as to why nobody Is helping with this?? How very sad :laugh:

Sorry to take this off-topic as the thread is appalling enough but the RSPCA gases dogs? Seriously? They actually do this?

Yep. The whyalla RSPCA gases their cats and dogs, they aren't allowed to euthanise any other way. :scared:

Yep. The whyalla RSPCA gases their cats and dogs, they aren't allowed to euthanise any other way. :scared:

Pardon my ignorance, but why?

I honestly have no idea. But it was on the front page of our local paper just a couple of papers back, maybe a week ago?

I could call them and ask why they are not allowed to, but I truley don't know myself. lol.