When Students Reward You

So often as trainers we encounter students that for various reasons are not a joy to train...

and then you get the ones that are fantastic.

We often talk about the ones that are challenging, but not as often about the ones that are great.

I had a lesson this afternoon that has left me on a real high. A wonderful student who is a DOLer.

She comes every week with a smile on her face. She comes having done her homework from the week before. She leaves making sure she knows what her homework is for next week. She never comes up with excuses for why things are the way they are/were or for why she doesn't want to try something. She asks if she doesn't understand something. She always tries as hard as she can. She retains knowledge & is able to apply it in different situations. She is able to recognise the differences & the similarities in her dogs & train/handle them accordingly. And best of all, I guess because of all the above, her handling and training are improving at a phenomenal speed.

Today I watched her do a sequence that actually made me tear up a little. She didn't even realise it, but she had incorporated everything she has learnt recently & did it all like it was second nature. It looked awesome!

Thank you K :) You really made my day :rofl: .

Edited by Vickie

Thanks guys, but honestly this thread is so not about the instructor. I have taught lots of people over the years, this is about a student who stands out above the crowd and how refreshing it is to teach someone like this.

What a lovely sucess storey...It got me thinking about our own club. Out of all the people who have started Agility training at our club & there has been lots & lots, I am the only one in two years that has gone on to trialling. They just all drop out along the way & it must be such a disappointment to the instructors who do a wonderful job in the face of adversity. We live one hour from training, but turn up every week. I just find that it is very disappointing that not more of our members go through with it. Is this the same with most clubs :eek:

What a lovely sucess storey...It got me thinking about our own club. Out of all the people who have started Agility training at our club & there has been lots & lots, I am the only one in two years that has gone on to trialling. They just all drop out along the way & it must be such a disappointment to the instructors who do a wonderful job in the face of adversity. We live one hour from training, but turn up every week. I just find that it is very disappointing that not more of our members go through with it. Is this the same with most clubs :D

I noticed at my old obedience club that once most people did the first class the numbers would drop each week but I didn't mind cause I like a smaller class.

They just all drop out along the way & it must be such a disappointment to the instructors who do a wonderful job in the face of adversity. Is this the same with most clubs :D

I think it probably is more likely for people to drop out of clubs or large classes than from private or small. There are probably lots of reasons for this.

Only certain types of people seek & are willing to pay for private classes & their incentive for doing so is also what keeps them there.

It is easier for a student to feel a commitment to one or 2 people rather than a different instructor each week.

Individual styles can vary (and even oppose) from instructor to instructor in a club which confuses people.

lots of other reasons too.

I think both have their place, they just attract & retain different type of handlers where there is a choice (and often there is not).

I've been helping some new dog owners with a Beagle puppy and I get heaps of reinforcement from them.

They are doing an awesome job with this pup and have taught her so many tricks and behaviors.

I know how good it makes you feel when you can see they are getting good results and are clearly practicing what you have taught them. :rofl:

I hate it when people tell me they haven't had time to train. :worship:

Well this is just me but i personally think everyone should be trained by vickie :scared: some of the lessons i got from you have come in handy something shocking lol and i can always remember a skill or idea that i have picked up on from my time with you and stick it into practice. .

Its always so nice when you see the result of hard work. . I know even from just offering advice to people and seeing it pay off has been awesome and really made my day :scold: