Sigh, Animal Cruelty -graphic Images Warning!

Narcissa

The third in this month. Very sad indeed.

Singapore news:

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNew...820-232974.html

The other cases are linked within. Online Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/20082010/petition.html

RIP little one. So sorry no one helped you.

"A DOG found dead in Sengkang on Wednesday evening is believed to have been beaten to death, said the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

A preliminary examination of the Pomeranian by a vet showed injuries to its head consistent with trauma, said the SPCA's executive officer, Ms Deidre Moss.

Police said they received a call at about 7.40pm informing them that an animal carcass had been found at Block 267B, Compassvale Link. The SPCA was notified later and its staff collected the carcass.

The dog was found with a leash on.

Ms Moss believes that the incident might have been witnessed by people at a nearby coffeeshop.

A hawker from the coffeeshop told Shin Min Daily News that a man in his 40s had earlier approached him, asking to borrow a knife. The man had been leading the dog.

When the hawker turned him down, the man led the dog to the void deck and bashed it repeatedly against a wall.

SPCA's examination of the dog found that it had been microchipped.

Microchipping - the implanting of a tiny electronic device between the animal's shoulder blades - can help link a dog back to its owner.

The carcass was handed over to the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) for further investigations yesterday.

An AVA spokesman told my paper that the dog's microchip number was not registered with them and a post-mortem is underway.

Ms Moss said: "This is an outrageous, violent act. We hope the person who did it can be apprehended soon, as he or she might be a danger to both people and more animals."

Sengkang resident Sarah Koh, 32, said she was shocked to hear about the act, as it was carried out so close to her home.

She said: "I keep thinking of how helpless the dog must have felt and who could have done such a terrible thing."

The maximum penalty for animal abuse is a $10,000 fine and a one-year jail term."

» Neighbour films woman beating dog

The dog frequently howls in the early mornings and sometimes in the afternoons.

Its howls could be the reason why its owner, a woman who lives at at Woodlands Block 683D, frequently canes it.

An eye-witness living in the opposite block said: "The female owner frequently canes and abuses the dog, easily several times a week. The lady should be contacted for animal abuse."

In a video posted on a citizen journalism website, the woman is seen scolding the dog, holding it by the snout, then rapidly caning it several times.

In another recent case, a video of a woman disciplining a dog by hitting it on its head repeatedly with wooden sticks was circulated online on popular video sharing website YouTube and social network Facebook.com.

The woman's actions has come to the attention of Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) and the case is still being investigated. Her actions have also drawn much criticism from netizens. Facebook users have made their anger very clear in more than 450 comments about the video on SPCA 's Facebook page alone.

If anyone is convicted of animal cruelty under the Animals and Birds Act, the offender can be fined $10,000 and/or imprisoned for 12 months."

» Dog hit repeatedly with wooden sticks

A video of a woman hitting a dog on the head is now under investigation by the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA). The video is currently circulated on popular video sharing website YouTube and social network Facebook.com.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) told AsiaOne that the owner of the dog - not the woman in the video - contacted them and stressed the importance of getting the dog to the vet.

In an e-mail to AsiaOne, AVA says SPCA has given them information on the "identities of the parties involved" and currently investigating.

However, both AVA and SPCA have declined to reveal this information until investigations are completed.

Further information on the location of the abuse has yet to be clarified.

In the video, a woman disciplines a dog by hitting it on its head repeatedly with wooden sticks. The dog reacts by barking and cowering away from the woman.

The dog also tries to get out of her way but is unable to because it is cornered.

Its crime? Chewing on a cushion.

A boy can be heard telling the woman to stop by saying "enough already". But the woman does not listen to him and continues hitting the dog and threatening it.

If the woman is convicted of animal cruelty under the Animals and Birds Act, the offender can be fined $10,000 and/or imprisoned for 12 months.

Spokesperson for SPCA Ms. Deirdre Moss said that when the officers at SPCA viewed the video together they were very shocked and "there's no doubt that the dog is not only being beaten but also terrorized".

"We just hope the authorities will get to the bottom of this and that the person behind the beating will be identified and action be taken against them."

SPCA also hopes the dog can be removed from the possibility of this happening again and is recommending to the authorities the dog be rehomed.

A vet should also examine the dog to determine if it has suffered any physical injury.

The SPCA also promotes positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement like physical abuse.

"It does not teach a dog how to behave... (and instead may bring about) a host of other problems like aggression and fear and may have an adverse effect on the dog."

The woman's actions have drawn much criticism from netizens. Facebook users have made their anger very clear in more than 450 comments about the video on SPCA 's Facebook page alone.

Many have called for action by authorities.

Says Facebook user Angelynn, "No matter what get this woman first and save the dog first".

A latest check on Tuesday evening showed a Facebook page dedicated to raising funds for this case.

According to the page, the funds will be a reward to "any individual who contributes the most effort in tracking down the culprit and bringing her to justice."

Individuals can be nominated by fans of the page and the winner will be chosen by the most number of "likes" - a function that Facebook users click on to show their support.

Anyone with information on the case can contact AVA at 64717198 or e-mail [email protected] or the SPCA at 62875355 extension 9.

» Watch the video"

ETA: Warning: Graphic pictures! Because of nature of pictures, have cut/pasted the story(s) for those who cannot bear to view such acts of cruelty.

Edited by Narcissa

Out of courtesy, it might be nice to edit your post to include a warning about the graphic nature of those photos.

Very sad :laugh:

Agreed! I didn't expect to see photos quite like that and was a bit shocked. Absolutely sickening.

I sure hope there is Karma in this world.

Im not game to have a look, as these sorts of things play on my mind for ages, but I only hope that the perpetrator gets his just deserts, scum is what I call people that are cruel to any animal, and after seeing that poor terrified bull on the news last night running amok amongst the crowd at the bull fight I only hope he got a few people before he died.

lablove

OMG! My sincere apologies to those who were disturbed by the pictures. They were not there earlier, except for a small thumbnail! I'M SORRY!

I clicked it again and SHOCK AND HORROR. ugh, now I feel quite sick.

The images are new, they definitely weren't there the first time I clicked on it. I'm also extremely distressed by the article about the woman who beat her dog with a stick. The poor dog looks terrified :'(

Edited by koalathebear

koalathebear - when I was reading that article I got the impression it wasn't even her own dog. There was a bit that said "The owner - not the lady in the video - called a vet and said the dog needed urgent attention". Something like that. If so, it's a good thing really but even more shocking that the woman was doing that. The poor little thing. How anyone, who calls themself a human being, can carry on doing that when the animal is clearly no threat and scared to death and being hurt .... - just beyond my comprehension. There was also something about the womans young son trying to tell her to stop - so that at least is something encouraging.

people that can do this to an animal are capable of anything, and the minimal punishement the person could face is a joke. RIP poor little one, you are no longer in pain now, but sadly you endured much before you left

there are three stories on the website ;)

one dog dead, two others being beaten and terrorised :D

i'm glad the people were caught on camera, however, stuff taking pictures, knock the bastards doors down and rescue the dogs! there would be no way in hell id ben able to restrain myelf.

i hope they get prosecuted to the full extent of the law, i hope their friends and family shun them, i hope they experience pain and fear in their lives the same as they inflicted on the dogs. people may say 'well maybe they themselves were abused and are now acting out of the animals because all they have learnt in their lives is aggression and rage, they may be mentally unstable', well i dont fricken care! i have friends who were bought up in terribnle terrible situations of abuse, but they never NEVER resorted to inflicting pain on innocent animals. these people need to be stopped, and also, i hope they go to hell. sorry. :rofl:

RIP little fluffy :eek: may your death bring education and empathy to ignorant people, and may the other dogs be safe and free from harm xoxox

How the hell can anyone be so cruel?? :D

That is just disgusting. I wonder if it was his dog even? Poor little dog. R.I.P. ;)

As for that other woman beating that little dog, I too would love 5 mins with her. :rofl: She want to thank her lucky stars she isn't my neighbour - because if I saw someone doing that....

I hope the authorities step in and take that dog before it too ends up being beaten against a wall or beaten to death. :( There are some real sicko's out there, or I should say oxygen thieves. :eek:

there are three stories on the website ;)

one dog dead, two others being beaten and terrorised :D

i'm glad the people were caught on camera, however, stuff taking pictures, knock the bastards doors down and rescue the dogs! there would be no way in hell id ben able to restrain myelf.

i hope they get prosecuted to the full extent of the law, i hope their friends and family shun them, i hope they experience pain and fear in their lives the same as they inflicted on the dogs. people may say 'well maybe they themselves were abused and are now acting out of the animals because all they have learnt in their lives is aggression and rage, they may be mentally unstable', well i dont fricken care! i have friends who were bought up in terribnle terrible situations of abuse, but they never NEVER resorted to inflicting pain on innocent animals. these people need to be stopped, and also, i hope they go to hell. sorry. :rofl:

RIP little fluffy :eek: may your death bring education and empathy to ignorant people, and may the other dogs be safe and free from harm xoxox

I feel the same. If I saw my neighbour doing that I wouldn't just sit there filming it.

I wouldn't be able to restrain myself either. I'd be jumping that fence or knocking that door down quick smart to get to the dog and if she got in the way, Dog help her.

I think what's worse is other Singaporeans' reaction to it. Comments like:

pets are like companion slaves ( in the same light as sex slaves)

forced companionship... pet lovers shld wake to the reality of their actions

worse still going for certified pedigrees... controlled deliberate inbreeding resulting in weak gene pool , destined these poor animals to lives of sickness and pain...

poo.... pet lovers? ha hypocrites all!!

domesticated means forced behavioural changes so that an animal is dependent on you for survival.....thats honorable??

pet lovers shld wake up to the reality of their practise

Agreed.....we have people and kids suffering and being abused accompanied by less public uproar. Dog gets dusted a bit....and the so much noise being made. Goodness, the dog's still alive and kicking and did not suffer any bruises or knocks of any sort. And yes, I am an animal lover too.