Do Those Snake Repellers Really Work?

Wuppywoman

I posted this in the breeder forum as people with alot of valuable dogs to protect will most likely know about this. I have seen the solar snake repellers for sale and wonder if they do in fact work or would I be better to fence the entire dog compound with super small mesh??? I am from NZ where we don`t have snakes so have never had this problem. The last thing I want is to lose any of my dogs to a snake so any advice would be much appreciated.

I posted this in the breeder forum as people with alot of valuable dogs to protect will most likely know about this. I have seen the solar snake repellers for sale and wonder if they do in fact work or would I be better to fence the entire dog compound with super small mesh??? I am from NZ where we don`t have snakes so have never had this problem. The last thing I want is to lose any of my dogs to a snake so any advice would be much appreciated.

No they do not work!!!

Agree with Mikelli!!!

Don't waste your money on them. We bought heaps of them because of the number of snakes we had seen and they did nothing at all. We watched the snakes playing around them :laugh:

Better off with the small rodent / snake wire and heaps of netting on the fences.

Agree with Mikelli!!!

Don't waste your money on them. We bought heaps of them because of the number of snakes we had seen and they did nothing at all. We watched the snakes playing around them :laugh:

Better off with the small rodent / snake wire and heaps of netting on the fences.

I am looking at having to snake proof this year - do I need to use both the rodent wire + netting - or is the bird netting enough?

Far to many of these are sold not to work.

One of the greatest problems is that need to be in almost full sun to re charge the batteries.

The batteries need to be checked to make sure they are working correctly.

They emit a pulse into the ground that the snakes dislike and yes they do keep them away.

Far to many of these are sold not to work.

One of the greatest problems is that need to be in almost full sun to re charge the batteries.

The batteries need to be checked to make sure they are working correctly.

They emit a pulse into the ground that the snakes dislike and yes they do keep them away.

They may sell alot, that doesn't mean that they work. We met the man, listened to his speel and purchase ALOT of these things. We placed them much closer together than they suggest for them to work and we still had snakes everywhere. As I said we watched the snakes playing around them. The pulse didn't chase them away at all. They were working as you can also hear them beep and we checked them regularly.

If they have worked for some people, then great for them but I certainly wouldn't rely on them to do as they claim from my own experience with them. I contacted the man and told him they didn't work and we were still getting snakes and he really didn't want to know. His attitude was that they worked for others...........

Not good enough when I'm trying to protect my beloved animals and children

Agree with Mikelli!!!

Don't waste your money on them. We bought heaps of them because of the number of snakes we had seen and they did nothing at all. We watched the snakes playing around them :offtopic:

I am looking at having to snake proof this year - do I need to use both the rodent wire + netting - or is the bird netting enough?

I would use both if you can. I attached the wire on the fence first then the netting over the top of that. We folded the netting in half - attacehd back side to the fence and the other side pegged slightly out from the fence. Doesn't look all that attractive but it has worked.

Also depending on how much of an area you have to protect shadecloth is great. Bury the bottom in the ground against the fence and attach up as high as you can go (6ft fences). We did this to one fence and stopped a snake getting in.

'Unfortunately I have a huge area to try and cover but will be using all 3 to try to protect my dogs. Lost 3 dogs since January this year to snakes, even lost one in the middle of winter and as recently as 2 weeks ago. These damn things don't seem to sleep. :)

• 1 month later...

When they're working, yes, but they break-down often.

We found the best thing to do was to put an electric fence about 4 inches from the ground around the perimeter of our yard(s) - it happily fries snakes and cane toads. One just has to remove carcasses regularly to ensure the fence isn't shorting. The only time we've had a problem is when the fence isn't working. We've also introduced Guinea Fowl and chooks who help with these vermin, plus ticks (not to mention create exciting entertaiment for the canine family). We live in Qld so desparate measures had to be taken.

Ha ha, this is why I will be staying in New Zealand, no creepy crawlys yuck

I was going to ask about these repellers, so glad I found this thread. We had a 5ft black snake in the back yard the other night, and one of our neighbours had a dog bitten last week (he's okay). The min pins had this one surrounded and luckily it was a black as all it wanted to do was get out of there. We tried to find it but think it must have kept moving through (we hope so anyway!).

One of the local reptile catchers said that the next 6 weeks or so is the most likely time for snake encounters around here as it is mating time, and the males are on the lookout for love.

Agree with the NZ crowd. I'm in California now. Have a lovely pond on my property. It's great to be able to let the dogs venture into frog central without worrying about bloody tiger snakes.

Yes, I could not stand not being able to let my dogs run free. Did you take any "Aussie" dogs back with you

Agree with the NZ crowd. I'm in California now. Have a lovely pond on my property. It's great to be able to let the dogs venture into frog central without worrying about bloody tiger snakes.

Watch out for the rattlers instead. :laugh:

I saw this stuff being discussed on a snake forum and they were laughing their heads off, said the guy will sell em as mice, rat, cane toad, snake , flying fox u name it, repeller.

if youve got the money and want something repelled he will sell u one was what they were saying. well they did say more not not what id repeat here.