Crying While We Are Away

ludwig09

Hi I am just new to the forum so I hope I have posted this in the right area.

I have two mini schnauzers a boy 12months and girl 6 months. My neighbor came and spoke to me yesterday about my girl crying when we are out. The neighbor also informed me that she cannot move in her kitchen or back yard or our girl barks at her. At the moment my biggest concern is the crying. Why would she be doing this? She has company all day with the older boy, I leave them with a bone or chew each morning and they have a variety of toys which i rotate all the time. They usually get a walk in the afternoon, should i change this to the morning. What else could i do? It upsets me that she is stressed while we are gone.

Thank you

Assuming dogs are outside or have access through doggy door ?

If so keep inside. Try some tranquil paste from fodder stores or rescue remedy & maybe wear an old T shirt or jumper for an hour before you go out & give it her to sleep on when you are out.

Go out into your yard with her every time for a few days & if she starts barking at your neighbour teach her to be quiet & if your neighbour likes dogs take her over to the fence to make friends with her.

Some just do this whatever the reason it needs stopping.

As the neighbour has spoken to you obviously it bothers her.

If it were me, I would be more worried about the barking :p It's not pleasant, knowing you are going to be barked at when you move in your own house/yard.

Can you afford to have a trainer come and assess the situation/provide you with the tools to stop this behaviour?That would be the ideal - getting it sorted properly before it gets worse , and neighbour goes to Council or something .

Have you had both dogs since they were young? Has anything changed?

Yes we have had both since 8 weeks of age. I have been wracking my brain as to any changes that have been made. I had her desexed about 3 weeks ago and she seems to have found her voice since then.

Yes we have had both since 8 weeks of age. I have been wracking my brain as to any changes that have been made. I had her desexed about 3 weeks ago and she seems to have found her voice since then.

Did you spoil her after this procedure??

Did you spoil her after this procedure??

No i would not say that we spoiled her after to procedure. She did end up at the vet hospital two days after for 36hrs because she had severe gastroenteritis. That would have been a pretty traumatic time for her (i know it was for us anyway)

If it were me, I would be more worried about the barking :thanks: It's not pleasant, knowing you are going to be barked at when you move in your own house/yard.

Can you afford to have a trainer come and assess the situation/provide you with the tools to stop this behaviour?That would be the ideal - getting it sorted properly before it gets worse , and neighbour goes to Council or something .

This neighbour came and spoke to you,other neighbours may not,they may report direct to council instead,then there will be stress.I would keep them in until you sort out a solution,re behaviourist as suggested.Imagine this situation will get worse not better when they are not controlled at the time & think they are getting away with it as acceptable behaviour.

Suggest,: speak to neighbour that had the decency to speak to you & advise her that you understand how annoying this must be & what you are doing to resolve the problem,also perhaps she could let you know if "what-ever" you do is working.

Let's know how you resolved it.

l had the same problem as you

so i went out and came back after a very short time and repeated this till they stopped there barking/ crying.

Must say it took quite a few times to get the results i wanted.

Your neibours a gem :laugh: ld be thanking them very very much for letting you know whats going on.

As for the barking at your neibour when she moves in her home id place a bark control collar on them whilst i was away

Good luck :thanks: Great neiibour the fines could be way more than a cure

l had the same problem as you

so i went out and came back after a very short time and repeated this till they stopped there barking/ crying.

Must say it took quite a few times to get the results i wanted.

Your neibours a gem :laugh: ld be thanking them very very much for letting you know whats going on.

As for the barking at your neibour when she moves in her home id place a bark control collar on them whilst i was away

Good luck :laugh: Great neiibour the fines could be way more than a cure

Thank you all for your input on my topic. We are really happy the neighbor spoke to us as we had no idea it was even going on. I told her i would look into the matter and try and find a solution so will be keeping in touch with her to monitor the progress. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Hi, just wondering if you have introduced your neighbour to your dogs? I know that my old mini used to bark and carry on with the neighbours, but after meeting each other (several times) she was ok with them. It is worth a try - get your dogs used to the neighbours - some interaction if possible. I also agree with the other posters, inside during the day, with lots of interactive toys and try changing your walk to the morning instead - a really long walk!!

I've got some suggestions - always walk dogs (especially young dogs ie under 5 yrs old) in the morning before you leave. They've slept all night and are full of beans.

Provide a doggie door (if you don't have one), many dogs are much quieter for that. Leave a radio on inside the house.

It is good that your neighbour has let you know rather than go straight to the council, you don't get too many options once that happens.

Did you answer the part others have asked about if you are currently leaving them outside??? If so, leave them in, and do as suggested regarding being outside with them and teaching them to be quiet, possibly getting them to meet the neighbours (if the neighbours don't mind), and leaving on a radio or TV when left inside to create some human voice/company/sound filter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

When I learnt my dog was barking when I was out, I changed things totally to short circuit that becoming a habit. I tried to leave my dog well-exercised, comfortable and in a relaxed, den like environment, so he got the message this is sleepy time when Mum's away. It has worked very well.