Hose Chaser

borderfan

So Bailey is a hose chaser - or a water chaser maybe. I was just trying to water the vegie plant and the whole time he was jumping around the hose and trying to bite the water. I moved it around the lawn and he ran around hysterically for about 20 minutes chasing it and getting soaked.

Now I know he is a working breed dog (Border collie) but can someone tell me he just is doing this cause he loves it?? He was so happy! now he is pooped out on the lawn drying off as he got SOAKED!! He has already had his play and train session this morning plus a short walk and I imagine he will be back inside as soon as he dries off but its just a play thing right? not an anxiety thing?? he just loved it so much

anyone else's dog chase the hose?

mine too. i think some breeds are more likely than others to do it. My old Bull Terrier used to do it, my SIL Bull Terrier did it, my old Dobermann did it and just last week while filling up the dog water my 6 month old Dobe pup started doing it. They all were obsessed with it. Good fun on a warm day!

;) Marlin thinks it is just the best fun, and a great way to exercise, expecially if you have one of those lazy BCs like mine who think it is just silly to chase a ball more than twice :laugh: She will stand and stare at the hose hoping water is just going to magically appear, throw the water around the yard and she will chase it until soaked muddy and exhaused, it is doggie heaven, but then she is a complete water baby. I am thinking of getting one of those sprinklers that pulse in different directions as a boredom killer :(

he;s a working breed and he's focussed all his drive on chasing the hose ;) If it was anxiety you would see he would be backing away from it showing very nervous signals. He's just having fun with it. The thing to decide is if you want to accept it or not - ie how much can you tolerate the noise and possible destruction :laugh:

He seems to only have interest in the hose when its on. He ignores it at all other times, its hanging on a hanger off the brick wall and he never goes near it but once its on, wow! he comes alive!!

So far no destruction, only a wet doggy so fingers crossed

I don't think its bad I think it would be good stimulation, as if its a type of toy. If that's what you are worried about. If you find it acceptable behavior and don't mind the chance of loosing your hose or having holes in the hose :laugh: i'd let him be he's having fun.

Our cattle dog used to do it to, when i was younger and on hot days i'd get the hose out for him to chase around and play with. He just loved it.

My girl is crazy for the hose too...or any water stream. Easy fun.

Her favourite water activity is to stick her snout down into her water dish and blow bubbles out her nose, then paw at the bubbles. Repeat (getting more and more excited) until dish is empty.

I'd say at least 75% of Border Collies are hose chasers if given the chance. Unfortunately they are also mower and whipper snipper chasers as well. A pastime that can be deadly. Always lock them up if doing anyhting potentially dangerous in the garden.

My dally Pepper does it. I can even get her to leap up in the air and twirl if I manipulate the hose well - and turn in tight cricles after the water as it hits the ground. She absolutely loves chasing the water and makes all sorts of silly noises she doesnt normally make. But she hates being washed with it. Then it becomes a "bad thing" :o

I love getting her to chase it - just seeing the sheer joy in her is absolutely beautiful.