Advocate Or Sentinel

Sayreovi

I've just started my pair on sentinal spectrum, i chose it because it does the tapeworm as well, whereas the advocate doesn't. So the sentinal was a 'complete' product and i would still have to get an extra to cover tapeworm if using the other.

My pair are on the biggest dosage (white packet 22-45kg) and the tablets are huge! lol, but are apparently meat flavoured...and both dogs just ate them without a problem which was nice.

THANKS GUYS!!! Wicked

Just a quick question is it alright to buy a bigger pack and break it up so 2 dogs could get one tablet thingy or doesnt it work that way??

Natasha

Natasha, I don't think it's wise to take one of the pills and break it up for two dogs.

You may want to check with your vet before doing that.

I've heard that some chews can't be spilt because the active ingrediant is throughout.

Sentinal doesn't do fleas does it? (Or if it does, not as well). I think that is the choice really - you either use Sentinal and use extra flea treatment or advocate with drontal every 3 months for tapeworm. I was going to use Sentinal but ended up with three different ones this time (mainly because we have a big flea problem at our new place and flea rinses just aren;t working for us).

Sentinel makes the adult fleas infertile rather than killing them, so it is good for preventing fleas if you don't already have them - not so good if you're using it as the only product to get rid of a flea problem. If you have the occasional flea problem (like after going visiting) you can use Capstar at those times.

Treating for tapeworm only requires a praziquantel tablet every 3 months, so something like Droncit or Popantel.

There isn't a lot of significant difference between the two products other than the choice between the formulation ie. tablet vs top spot and whether or not you need fleas dead NOW.

I personally don't use either product. I don't like using stuff that does everything in one hit. I prefer to spread my chemical usage, if needed, over time. I use a basic monthly heartworm, appropriate worming, and flea treatment as needed, which is not often at my place. Don't know why I don't have a flea problem but I don't :cheers:

I agree Rebanne, I worry about all the unnecessary chemicals that go into the dogs system. Over the years I have known of products that were proved to cause problems - not discovered until the product had been in use for some time.

I prefer to keep the dog and environment free of fleas with a mild flea rinse when/if necessary and that way I only have to give the monthly heartworm tablet and use an all wormer 4 times a year or less depending on where they have been. :cheers:

I put Brianna on Sentinel Spectrum when she had her second vaccination at 12 weeks old. The vet told me to buy the packet for 11-22 kg dogs and give her half a tablet until she reached 11 kg. She said she would need the full tablet before we finished the smaller packet and it would be a waste of money. I cut the tablets in half with a pair of kitchen scissors and we never had any problems. She is now taking a full one.

The only problems I have is getting her to take it! So much for them being chewable - she won't eat them, so I break it up into small pieces and hide them in pieces of meat, then they go down no problem.

I've just started using Advocate, seeing as my dogs need to be heart wormed now (they didn't before as we don't get heart worm here, but seeing as Diego is travelling around to shows I need it now). I figure its cheaper and easier than doing heart worm, frontline and worming, it also means I don't forget one or the other because its all in one, the only thing I have to remember to do now is tapeworm! Apparently it doesn't do ticks though (we don't get ticks here anyway, so its not an issue for me!).

I have never heard of Sentinel before, but will probably use that too, I like to rotate things so that resistance to one product doesn't build up. Does anyone know anything about Revolotion? Does it do tapeworm or ticks? All I know about it is that it is more expensive than Advocate, the vets told me that aside from that it's pretty much the same!