New Nasal Spray Kennel Cough Vaccine

My Vet was telling me about a new Kennel Cough vaccine that is given like a nasal spray and only takes 1 dose and 3-4 days to take effect.

the older needle vaccine involves 2 injections 4 weeks apart.

does anyone know of this new vaccine? Need repeorts both good and bad before I make my mind up which path to take.

The intranasal vaccination has been around for a while but now covers 3 of the causes of respiratory disease / kennel cough not 2 (this "B3" is probably the "new" one that is being promoted).

The immunity it produces is local to the respiratory tract and is created rapidly, as you said 3-4 days. It is generally well tolerated by dogs - 0.5ml of vaccine down each nostril. I haven't seen any of the literature on the B3 but I believe that the incidence of vaccination reactions is reduced.

I don't think it is any more expensive than the injectable - I guess the price you see may also depend on how your vet charges for the vaccines (and I don't mean whether or not it is like a wounded bull, lol). There's some variation in whether vets charge the examination / consult and the vaccination separately or combined etc and I guess a bit depends on the area.

If the vaccine is charged separately between $20 and $35 could be expected (also depends on whether they charge it as C3 + B3 or just a C5). If the charge is combined then I guess anywhere between $60 and $80 would be reasonable for the area I am in.

My vet uses the nasal spray vaccine and Brianna had no problems with it. So far no sign of kennel cough and she is now 10 months old.

The vet told me that the kennel cough virus lives in the mucous membranes and that the spray goes directly into the membranes so it is more effective.

I think the cost was comparable to the injection.

Mika had it done.

Apparently the vet had a hard time administering it. (report from breeder) and she said she'd only do it on more adult animals.

She then was diagnosed with Kennel Cough/Pneumonia 10 days after the nasal vaccine

We had Gilbert with us, but had been with us for over a month, and was no longer sick with it - they suspect she got it on the plane.... (?)

No never..and probably won't..a vet nurse told me never allow it with puppies, even if vet was adament.

More of a "unsettling thing" with puppy thananything else I think..but No won't use it. Just personal preference.

Dianne

My 3 dogs have had it and there has been no problems at all, i am happy with it and will do it again this way for their next due vacc's. :)

My dobe had one and was a little snuffly but thats all. seems to work ok. My vet told me that it works more efficiently because the virus attacks mucous membranes initially and so it seems more better to administer the vaccine the same way. Sounds logical to me :champagne:

Chili has had it twice, the first vet was very pushy and just did it anyway but no problems. The second vet eyed her off a bit (shes a GSD) and asked if I thought she'd be ok, i assured him she would be fine, and she was. No side effects. The second vet said that there was once particular boarding kennel in the area who didnt accept this method, and wouldnt board dogs who'd had the vaccine this way...so if you're a frequent boarder, it might pay to check.