Wandering Dog Update 14/12/2010

Bilbo Baggins

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::vomit::laugh: ;) :D :dancingelephant::dancingelephant: 3am

I have to tell her "No !! Now settle down & go back to sleep !!!" for about 20 minutes & then we're right for another couple of hours until she insists her bladder is full. (She just wants to go outside to have a sticky) You can probably now understand why I'm in bed by 8:30 pm some nights.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::vomit::laugh: ;) :D :dancingelephant::dancingelephant: 3am

I have to tell her "No !! Now settle down & go back to sleep !!!" for about 20 minutes & then we're right for another couple of hours until she insists her bladder is full. (She just wants to go outside to have a sticky) You can probably now understand why I'm in bed by 8:30 pm some nights.

haha i feel you're pain/tiredness! between 5 and 6.30 is usually the time Ivy insists she needs to be outside!

its not about the defeat today, I feel sick about the fact he will be removed from absolute doggy heaven. Personal creek, bunnies, butchers, kennel, grassland. Also the amazing commitment of all these people we dont even know giving up their time to make sure this boy has a chance. Its overwhelming. Also our group members who drove across the country side with trailors, took kids etc.

His time is limited where he is but I am so worried about his future.

Thankyou so much to the wonderful people I met today. Your hearts are so big. We are 100%commited to rehabilitating this boy back in to normal life and know you have been, and will be a big part of the journey.

Just cant stop thinking.

its not about the defeat today, I feel sick about the fact he will be removed from absolute doggy heaven. Personal creek, bunnies, butchers, kennel, grassland. Also the amazing commitment of all these people we dont even know giving up their time to make sure this boy has a chance. Its overwhelming. Also our group members who drove across the country side with trailors, took kids etc.

His time is limited where he is but I am so worried about his future.

Thankyou so much to the wonderful people I met today. Your hearts are so big. We are 100%commited to rehabilitating this boy back in to normal life and know you have been, and will be a big part of the journey.

Just cant stop thinking.

with the effort that has already been put in for this boy and the continued help and effort that is going to be put in, i see a bright future ahead for him.

Hi all

just found this thread am sorry you didnt catch him but by those methods I have just read I didnt think so . This is a dog who has been looking after himself for what may be a fair while and now has a distrust of humans, which in turn is fear.

You are on the right track with the dog trap, a group of people trying to bale him up will not do any good if he is wiley and hey he is a sheppie and they are smarter than most people I know. ( do not mean any disrespect)

Now I have a tale to tell you

When I was for want of a better word a dog catcher for over 10 years, I caught a dog who had dissappeared from its home 1 year before, ( didnt know till afterwards) This dog was first spotted in the river bed eating what appeared to be a plastic bag in the MArch, it always went back to an old car that was dumped out of town near the river, he was rangy and as wiley as, he was eventually caught at the end of April.

We set a dog trap about 3 meters from where he was camped up with the plate flat and the drop door wired up to the top of the cage, every day I went in the same vehicle and left chicken wings and biscuits in the trap starting at the doorway placing the food in further every 3 days, the food was always gone after the 2nd day, about 12 days later the trap was set for the door to drop. After the 5th day I used to see this dog enter the cage in the rear view mirror, so I knew he was eating the food)

On the 12th day I hadnt gone far at all and he was in the cage the door dropped down and I rang for help to remove him cage and all to the pound. HIs collar though huge and loose around his neck still was on the dog with the previous years rego tag attached, one happy owner collected his dog. He then spent the next 6 months back and forward to the vet,

If the dog is rangy,thin or lean, do not give it any acp"s or sedatives unless a vet has instructed to do as you may kill it.

good luck and I think you are all wonderful to help this dude out.

Oh my goodness...I dont often visit General, though have just read your whole thread.

One minutite I am on the edge of my seat, then in tears, then laughing at the funny stories of the creek.

You are all truly amazing people, what an incredible team effort for a deserving soul.

Thank You so much for all you are :heart: I can understand your concern & frustration though I am sure you will have this fellow safe & sound soon.

Sending you all the best positive energy & luck. Also take care of yourselves in the meantime :heart:

We had 2 professionals out yesterday, it was their method. They almost had him as he was cornered but they missed one hole. It was so close, and if they had seen that one hole he would be caught. We wanted to try the least invasive method. It wasnt a waste of time and we followed the advice of and were assisted by trained professionals.

What a great idea Koe. That sounds like an excellent method :heart:

Krislin, this method was the first one discussed but due to the failure rate after consulting with 2 businesses we decided to push it down the list. I cant help but feel you are sitting back waiting for us to fail again as you seem to know best and if you had read the thread or even pmd one of us you would realise the amount of time, discussion and professional consultation that has gone in to this effort.

I'm not sure why you are so hostile towards me. I dont want you to fail. I dont want the dog to be shot and killed. I asked a question earlier on, and initially was told it had mushrooms to eat so made a suggestion to offer food regularly. That's all, it wasn't an attack on you. People offer suggestions all the time. I dont claim to be an expert, I was just trying to suggest a way of helping. Then Koe told of his/her experience as a dog catcher over 10 years. I thought it sounded like a good idea.

I'm not sure why you are so hostile towards me. I dont want you to fail. I dont want the dog to be shot and killed. I asked a question earlier on, and initially was told it had mushrooms to eat so made a suggestion to offer food regularly. That's all, it wasn't an attack on you. People offer suggestions all the time. I dont claim to be an expert, I was just trying to suggest a way of helping. Then Koe told of his/her experience as a dog catcher over 10 years. I thought it sounded like a good idea.

ok, sorry. Bit thingy about it all as we cant post every discussion and every consultation on here as it would take a whole day, however all the the 'suggestions' put forward have been discussed earlier in the thread. It would help if people read what we have already discussed. We are not bunch of hot headed nut jobs running across the countryside trying to save the world, we are a committed rescue who are using trained professionals in order to remove a dog of our breed from a crap situation.

Okay only offering advice, if you dont want to go that way thats fine, but I doubt you will catch him the other way, you can block all his escape routes but he will only get more fearful and will start going over the fences.

A trap will not be a failure if it is set and the processes taken to capture him. I for one would not go with the soft foot trap because of the angst and injury it will cause.

You can get a trap from wild life capture in WARICK.

We once caught a dingo in a trap using the same method, and the trap was strong and sturdy and homemade. But I suppose the professionals will have better techniques.