Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SpottyChick I just wanted to say what a wonderful job you are doing!

I have been following your thread in amazement and after reading your post re Rusty and Dylan's fun get together I am sitting here with a big grin on my face.

Certainly sounds like little Dylan has been welcomed in by Tango and Pepper and has really landed on his feet.

Great work so far, I bet you are pleased as punch.

Please keep letting us know how things are getting on.

Oh and you can never post enough photos of that cute little devil :hug:

We had a little sad moment today. Dylan started playing with Pepper in the lounge room. She responded with play bowing back at him (for the first time - apart from the first day he was here!). She started darting from side to side with him so I ushered the playing pair outside. Pepper - unfortunately - immediately grabbed an old bone that was lying on the grass and Dylan just thought she was still playing so he kept doing zoomies at her and play bowing even tho she was growling and snarling at him. I was trying to get his attention and call him away but he was too thrilled to be "playing" with Pepper and just got more and more silly. Pepper was escalating her snarling and I was trying to grab him as he flew around the place.

Suddenly Pepper attacked him fairly viciously, he screamed and she let go. It was the worst I'd heard between these dogs.

I called him but instead of running over like he normally would he lay on his side on the grass and did this odd wriggling thing. I thought she'd injured him so I raced over to him. I felt him all over and got no responses so it didn't look like he was hurt. But he was still lying with his face flat on the grass and not responding. So I tried to get him to stand up. He wouldn't stand. I can't explain how he behaved but it was really upsetting. Like he was totally scared to move, but he wasn't cringing. Just more like a sort of heavy flop. At first it looked like his legs were unable to move.

Anyway, with a lot of jollying and cajoling he finally got up and pushed himself into my arms. I actually picked the poor little dude up and carried him inside to give him a cuddle on the couch. Pepper comes over and looks at him woth her tail waggin and an expression like "Gosh! what's wrong with him?" and went to her bed. Tango came over, pushed his nose into the boys belly, moaned a bit and then started barking at him and "talking".

I gave him lots of tummy rubs and played with him and he got up and was back to his old self, bashing Tango in the face again. Amazingly Tango didn't growl at him for it :thanks: .

Such a shame that the "play" he'd been trying to get out of Pepper went so horribly wrong so quickly. :laugh:

What a perfect "sit" Dylan was doing! And Tango does a lovely one too...

Pepper must be a bit above "sit" sometimes... lol!

T.

LOL TD That's a good way to put it. I think because she's been around the longest she sort of pushes it a bit. It's good having the two newbies tho because she's also getting a refresher course in how to behave when I'm training them :thanks:

Dylan is very good at this stuff. His TOT is coming along beautifully and I did some off-lead "heel" training today with him. He was brilliant! (and he likes peanut butter hee hee)

Spottychick, I often think as far as crazy dog people go, we seem quite alike :thanks: , but when I saw your video I couldn't believe that you sound exactly like me when I hear myself on video! We talk to our dogs the same way too :) . And then I heard you call Pepper 'Peps'. That's what I call my Pepper too ... as well as Peppy, Pep peps and Pepster :laugh:

All three dogs look terrific! What a great job you're doing :rofl:

Loved the story with Rusty too :rofl:

Wow! You'll have to post a link to a vid with you talking on it so I can hear what you're talking about! I also call Pepper "pepsi"

SpottyChick I just wanted to say what a wonderful job you are doing!

I have been following your thread in amazement and after reading your post re Rusty and Dylan's fun get together I am sitting here with a big grin on my face.

Certainly sounds like little Dylan has been welcomed in by Tango and Pepper and has really landed on his feet.

Great work so far, I bet you are pleased as punch.

Please keep letting us know how things are getting on.

Oh and you can never post enough photos of that cute little devil :thanks:

They have their moments but they are also all surprising me all the time with how well they handle things :laugh:

He is exceptionally photogenic aint he!!!

It is awful when they are so upset they just can't get back to normal for a while. As you said, though, he was so excited that Pepper was playing he couldn't even start to take on board the new messages she was giving.

For a little chap who has been very neglected and who has been with you only for a few days, he is doing amazingly well.

I loved the video ..... and how Madam Pepper came in and just bowed as though saying, "Well here I am; consider yourselves very privileged to have my presence."

Edited by Mother Moocher

Moral of the story SC - don't leave old bones lying around! Seems she didn't hurt him, just scared the bejeebers out of him. All good and a new lesson learnt for the boy. I definately see foster failure written all over his eager little face.

Love the video and the name choice really suits him. He reminds me very much of my Dylan, with that keeness to learn. My boy looks at me very much the same way, even now as he is coming up to 5 yrs.

Sounds like Pepper was extremely firmly putting Dylan in his place - and really scared him this time... maybe next time he will realise what her "go away" growl means. There can be a lot of really scary snarling and snapping when an adult dog has to put a large puppy in it's place... remember that to stop the big boisterous puppy, she needs to use "reasonable force"... *grin*

What is good to note is that Dylan did not react the same way back at her... shows he doesn't seem to have any violent tendencies.

Give them all a special hug from me, OK?

T.

Moral of the story SC - don't leave old bones lying around! Seems she didn't hurt him, just scared the bejeebers out of him. All good and a new lesson learnt for the boy. I definately see foster failure written all over his eager little face.

Love the video and the name choice really suits him. He reminds me very much of my Dylan, with that keeness to learn. My boy looks at me very much the same way, even now as he is coming up to 5 yrs.

Yes they've all been picked up. Never been a problem before LOL :mad

And yes, he's exceptionally keen to learn.

Sounds like Pepper was extremely firmly putting Dylan in his place - and really scared him this time... maybe next time he will realise what her "go away" growl means. There can be a lot of really scary snarling and snapping when an adult dog has to put a large puppy in it's place... remember that to stop the big boisterous puppy, she needs to use "reasonable force"... *grin*

What is good to note is that Dylan did not react the same way back at her... shows he doesn't seem to have any violent tendencies.

Give them all a special hug from me, OK?

T.

TD I thought that too. He is even gentle with other animals so this is a good sign. I will be introducing him to a neighbours cat next week to see how he goes.

Will do re the hug. :mad

you never know sc.... It looked like sophie was gunna fail too...

The 2 dallies even seem to have aqured a nick name at homes of "the spots" and yet her prospective owners found us unlikely i thought being 35km from the nearest town.

If he is meant to stay he will.... If there is a new owner to be in his life he will find it....

We don't really want sophie to go, but if its good or best for her future i won't stand in her way. by training with him it sounds like its good for all your hot digity doggies.