Peppi's Diary

Vickie

I thought I might start a diary of Poppi's training. Was going to blog it or put it in Word, but thought I may as well do it here, since others may have input or be interested in reading.

Background: Peppi is a 12mth old Foxy cross that we picked up a week ago from Hawkesbury Pound. She has recently had pups & came into the pound with milk but no puppies. She has no apparent training & no apparent vices, other than some separation anxiety which is improving every day with firm boundaries & consistency. My 11YO daughter will be training her for agility. They have immediately formed a great bond.

Edited by Vickie

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEEK ONE:

Poppi has learnt to sit, has a great start to a recall (both verbal & whistle) and has become comfortable in the backyard by herself or with the other dogs while we are inside. She is also happy in her crate while we are inside or outside. She has learnt that an open door/gate is not an invitation for her to go through & we are using the word "stop" with a hand signal each time we open the door, followed by a "come" if we want her to come in. She has been very good with our other 4 dogs & them with her.

Poppi is very interested in tugging & chasing a toy or ball when we throw it. We didn't expect this as she didn't seem interested when in the pound so it has been a great bonus for training. She is mostly bringing thrown objects back to interact with us, but also enjoys zooming around with them. She is very food motivated & is already offering all sorts of behaviours to get the food/toy we have on offer.

She is already totally operant after one week. We do 2-3 5 min sessions a day of various tricks wth & without the clicker. We have done some luring & some shaping basic behaviours & she has been quick to work out what we want & offer it to us.

She has a hand touch, a foot on a target, the start of a drop, spin & is learning to follow our hands when we run & turn.

She has learnt to keep focus on Chloe with a number of distractions so far: other dogs are running around or screaming in protest b/c they are locked up & she is having all the fun, my son playing ball elsewhere in the yard.

It is too early to teach Poppi obstacles, however with a backyard full of agility equipment, she has already done most of them herself :hug: . Her zoomies regularly include the tunnel, jumps, AFrame & even the seesaw a couple of times (it is set up not to tip for safety). With this in mind and because she is so operant (and b/c my daughter is desperate, LOL), we have spent a very small amount of time rewarding her for taking a jump, tunnel or AF on command. She has also had about 10 minutes being lured through 3 weave poles & is already offering the basic weaving motion.

For the next week we will keep working on some tricks , perfecting some she has already learnt & maybe adding a couple, using both food & tug as rewards.

videos as requested :thumbsup:

We have a heap of work to do with toys, bringing them back reliably & releasing the tug :D

This is her first target session

and Poppi learning to release the tug

Edited by Vickie

WEEK TWO:

Poppi is going well :hug: .

Chloe has been practising her tricks every day. Here is her doing a touch, sit & spin

She is offering the basic weaving motion on 3 poles & is learning to follow Chloe's hands on the flat & change sides.

Jumps & tunnel are still a regular part of her zoomies & Chloe is starting to put commands on them as well

The hardest part is getting Chloe to remember that she cannot run her like she runs my girls as Poppi doesn't have the training, experience or commitment yet. Tomorrow she is coming to an agility trial with us to cheer the girls on. I think she will be a great cheersquad.

Edited by Vickie

;) thanks caz

I was hoping someone was reading it

Poppi spent all day at a trial yesterday, she was fantastic & seemed to thoroughly enjoy herself. She was calm, got lots of cuddles & very happy to trot around next to Chloe all day.

Everyone loved her & she was given a great toy & a beautiful collar by a couple of lovely triallers to welcome her :D

WEEK THREE:

Not much to report this week. It hasn't been a great week for little Pep. (although she still answers to Poppi, she also gets Peppi & more often Pep)

She became intermittently lame last Sunday. Chloe & I were quite worried but couldn't see anything. On Monday we noticed a small mass on her stifle. Tuesday it became inflamed. She was booked in to be spayed on Wedneday & was by this stage unwilling to put any weight on her leg. By the time we got to the vet, her inflamed mass was found to be an absess ready to burst. Good news is that it has been burst & treated. Vet thinks either grass seed or spider bite. She is now fully weight bearing & her leg is much more comfortable. She has been very quiet after her op & happy to cuddle up with Chloe in a blanket on the lounge.

I guess she's feeling heaps better today as she is eating well & carrying a toy around with her everywhere.

It won't be long before we have out peppy Peppi back :p