Why Do People Want To Breed Their Pet Dog?

aussielover

Over the past week I have spoken with a number of puppy owners who intend to breed their dogs when they are old enough and not bother to desex their dogs.

It is really starting to do my head in!!!

I've given them as much info as possible about things that could go wrong, health testing required, risk of pyo in an undesexed female, problems with dealing with dogs in heat, findning homes for all the puppies (at the expense of a shelter or pound puppy) ETC

They sort of glaze over and then say stuff like "but it would be so nice for her to have a litter, she is such a nice dog..."

arghhhhh

One person even said they were happy to "knock on the head" puppies that couldn't find homes :confused:

One person with a malti-cavoodle (yes, you heard right), wanted to breed with a purebred malti-cavoodle because they make such great pets.

Health tests? "she is perfectly healthy, she has been vet checked" Yet I can see stains around her eyes...

Temperament? "don't let your big dog over near her, she doesn't like big dogs"

Somebody please shoot me before I explode and try to hit one of them on the head.

On a happier note- perhaps Mindy does have guide dog potential after all as she saved me from being run over by a 4WD this morning. Good Puppy. I should have a litter from her hey?

Edited by aussielover

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody please shoot me before I explode and try to hit one of them on the head.

You're not the only one ready to hit people on the head, i don't know how many times have had people, mostly random people off the street, ask me if i wanted to breed Peg.. my first question is normally why? followed by SHE'S A BLOODY CROSSBREED!!

Some people just don't get it, they often ask why i got her desexed, i've always thought that was pretty obvious. When they ask about pups i used to launch into a massive rant about how it is unfair on her, a waste of time and money, and that if they want a pup go to the shelter, there's heaps of dogs up there like Peg, now i don't bother, i just say you're too stupid to have a dog and Peg doesn't want pups

:confused: I know 5 of my neighbours. 4 of them breed their dogs. 3 do it to make money selling the pups, the other one just seems to have a bunch of entire dogs who breed b/c they are not separated.

None of them are pure, registered nor worthy of breeding with the exception of one who has been a very good working dog.

I have given them my views in the most informative way possible. They don't care. They have made money in the past & I'm sure will make it again.

I feel powerless

AND THIS IS JUST IN MY ROAD :laugh:

My teacher at puppy school suggested everyone there get there dogs desexed, when one lady said she wanted to breed dog (some form of poodle x), the teacher gave the class a lecture (not harsh just informative) about the reasons why you should desex its benefits and how breeding should be left to the registered breeders etc.

I was pretty happy with her after that.

There was a vet on the radio here on Sunday saying how she supported her clients breeding their dogs, because they produced so much nicer puppies than 'proper' breeders.

There was some valid stuff in there about the benefits of raising puppies in a home environment, but a distinct bias towards unregistered puppies and byb breeders. And that's a vet on public radio, no wonder other people think it's fine.

Edited by Diva

Diva that is terrible! I was aproached by someone looking for a stud dog for their GD bitch. I politley told him that my dog was a registered show dog. He then stated that the owner (his sister) is a vet and the bitch has "papers". Now I know for a fact that there is no registered breeders in my town for danes. I turned and walked away. Happy to note that my boy is now desexed as he had to many faults that he would of passed on to his puppies. People dont understand and think just because a dog is "big" or has a big head etc etc they think they should breed it.

I also have a friend at work who's mum breeds malteseX. She knows that I dont approve of it but will happily tell me that one of her mums bitches had pups yesterday and another litter is due next week!!!!!!!!! :):(

I think a lot of it is becuase they buy a pup for 1200.00 from the pet shop and think why not. If I bought it for this much people will buy them off me for this much.

I mean even if they have six pups and sell them at $800.00 each and nothing goes wrong, no c section vet check or anything thats $4800.00.

To much temptation.

I remember a friends mum when I was younger had her own backyard puppy farm on a regular suburban block! She had about 12 Cocker Spaniels that had tiny tiny runs. They never got walked, were never allowed inside, no interaction, definetly not vet checked or anything. In fact the closest vet to our town was half an hour drive away.

Anyway they made tons of money. She was like the richest girl in our grade from selling these puppies in Sydney every month or so. I remember her going up one weekend with 12 puppies to drop off- sold for a grand each. They got a huge new plasma that time.

Its sad but its true. Money can be and IS made from breeding- whether BYB with fluffy or by setting up your own money making factory.

We go on and on about the cost of whepling etc but if you dont give a crap about vets or anything like that and just let them do it themselves there is a lot of money to be made.

If your neighbour just made thousands by breeding fluffy every bogan on the street is thinking well why dont we? .....'oh but we are doing it becuase she is such a good dog' BULLSH1T your doing it because you want to make money!

People dont care about health and temprement and lines etc. They just care about money.

anyway there is my rant over.

Oh and that girl is no longer my friend

Edited by jazawayaya

There was a vet on the radio here on Sunday saying how she supported her clients breeding their dogs, because they produced so much nicer puppies than 'proper' breeders.

There was some valid stuff in there about the benefits of raising puppies in a home environment, but a distinct bias towards unregistered puppies and byb breeders. And that's a vet on public radio, no wonder other people think it's fine.

Sadly, many vets encourage BYBing.

One approached me and asked if i knew any nice entire male GRs, because a client wanted to breed her female GR.

The female was not health tested apart from "vet checked". They did eventually find a male (not health tested either) but the female was so aggressive towards it, I think they gave up. I told them I thought it was poor form, but they didn't really seem to see the seriousness of the problem.

My ex-husband recently purchased a Bull Terrier pup (female) to breed with. He already has a male that he got for free. The poor thing was passed around from home to home for about a year before he said he would have him. Apparently (so my ex tells me) the dog has papers that are 'on the way' and the previous owners paid $4000 for him as he is imported or some such bullshit. The sad thing is my ex believes all this crap and he and his girlfriend have $$$ in their eyes. They are going to sell the pups for $1200 each. Sadly, people will buy them even though you can get a pup from a registered breeder for that.

I really worry about the kind of people that will end up with these pups. Makes me very sad.

My mum's work friend has a GR from an infamous FCR and GR breeder in WA, he is DA. Her other work mate has an entire Akita bitch who has killed two SWF's and is very very dog agressive! They were chatting one night about how they should breed them togther to make "money and really fluffy cute puppies". I wasn't there but thankfully my mum was channeling me and laid into them! :( They have not discussed the idea since and I sudder to think of the potential results! :)

Why?

Because "She's such a nice pet" and "all my friends want one just like her"

Because "she cost so much so I might as well get something back"

Because "My sister bought one of the same breed and it's a boy"

Because "my friend/sister/neighbour breeds all the time and nothing EVER goes wrong"

Because "All children should be able to experience puppies"

Because "this dog is massive, his pups will be huge"

Because "the guy down the road is gonna pay big bucks to use him over their bitch and I'll get a free pup"

Because "the pups will make awesome guard dogs"

Because "The pet shop wants puppies"

Because "I can make HEAPS of money with no real effort"

Because "I can give the pups a fancy name and sell them for heaps"

Because "The vet said she's healthy enough"

Or the absolute most appalling reason I've heard?

"Because this breeder (registered by the way) is giving me one of his breeding bitches to breed with my dog (unregistered BYB dog from registered parents) then he's gonna buy the pups back from me at 6 weeks old and sell them. It's an investment and I'm going to breed her 3 times a year (yes this person has NO idea) and make heaps".

Why?

Because "She's such a nice pet" and "all my friends want one just like her"

Because "she cost so much so I might as well get something back"

Because "My sister bought one of the same breed and it's a boy"

Because "my friend/sister/neighbour breeds all the time and nothing EVER goes wrong"

Because "this dog is massive, his pups will be huge"

Because "the guy down the road is gonna pay big bucks to use him over their bitch and I'll get a free pup"

Because "the pups will make awesome guard dogs"

Because "The pet shop wants puppies"

Because "I can make HEAPS of money with no real effort"

Because "I can give the pups a fancy name and sell them for heaps"

Because "The vet said she's healthy enough"

Or the absolute most appalling reason I've heard?

"Because this breeder (registered by the way) is giving me one of his breeding bitches to breed with my dog (unregistered BYB dog from registered parents) then he's gonna buy the pups back from me at 6 weeks old and sell them. It's an investment and I'm going to breed her 3 times a year (yes this person has NO idea) and make heaps".

The bolded bit (or variences of) is not that uncommon.

The ex I spoke of in my first post has already bred a litter of Bull Terriers from a different bitch. During a phone conversation he bragged to me that a registered breeder was buying one of the female pups and also the mother of the pups. (when I asked why he was getting rid of his pet that he apparently loved he said that she got excited and jumped on his girlfriends daughter, made her cry and his girlfriend told him he had to get rid of the dog. :( )

It's not just dimwits that don't know any better that are doing the wrong thing. Unless there is another reason that I don't know of that a registered breeder would buy 2 bitches from a unregistered BYB?

I have heard this one a lot and i dont understand it. My parents didnt breed a dog just for a bunch of pups so that i could experience it and i think i turned out fine. I dont understand the lesson these parents are hoping to teach there kids from this.

I baffles me to be honest.

There is this excuse:

Because [insert pet name here] is awesome and I would like to have a son/daughter from [insert pet name here]

I have been guilty of *thinking* this, although I would never ever do it in a million years.

When Bitty was a pup, she was perfect (LOL still is :( ). She was just this glorious little thing that I had raised and I just wanted more of her running around. I wanted to preserve her in some ways. It was not exactly rational thought!

But I know better than that and being friends with her breeder I know the work and thought that went into producing MY little Bitty! So I consoled myself by writing crazy emails to my breeder ranting about how they simply must keep working hard to breed more Bitties! :)

I have heard this one a lot and i dont understand it. My parents didnt breed a dog just for a bunch of pups so that i could experience it and i think i turned out fine. I dont understand the lesson these parents are hoping to teach there kids from this.

I baffles me to be honest.

Yeah, I hate this one too.

My response to the last time I heard that went along the lines of, "Okay, take those children to the pound for their next euthanasia day. Then they can experience what happens to a lot of those puppies."

Didn't go down too well :(

There is this excuse:

Because [insert pet name here] is awesome and I would like to have a son/daughter from [insert pet name here]

Out of interest, though no two dogs will ever be the same,

do you actually have a better chance of getting a similar dog if you breed the dog you want, or can you get the same results by breeding close relatives of of the dog (ie go back to the same breeder you got your dog from)

There is this excuse:

Out of interest, though no two dogs will ever be the same,

do you actually have a better chance of getting a similar dog if you breed the dog you want, or can you get the same results by breeding close relatives of of the dog (ie go back to the same breeder you got your dog from)

Line breeding is a way of ensuring the phenotype is maintained in the dog. Unfortunately unless you are careful and know the lines well you could be doubling up on any possible genetic problems. However introducing an outcross you could be bringing in something you don’t have now.

In J Isabell - “Genetics - An Introduction for Dog Breeders” – she describes the best line breeding as being the successful grandfather to the most successful grand daughter – mostly because it is only in his old age that his genetic strengths and weaknesses are known.

What they don’t tell you about cross breeds is the potential structural damage to the cross breed pup. The structure of each breed is different – skeletal, musculature etc. Since each pup takes an allele from each parent then you do have the possibility that not all the structure properly fits together. Then there is the risk to the bitch in whelp – what if the sire was a much bigger dog than her – will the pups all be too big for her to deliver naturally – will a c section be involved.