Rescue Organisations

YOLO

Homechecks are an extremely good idea. I did one yesterday. You can't see Wandering Jew from Google Earth, nor can you see tiny gaps in fences, portions of fencing that are only knee height, toxic chemicals & fertiliser standing right where the dog will be (as I did yesterday). Fertiliser is attractive to dogs - I know from firsthand experience of having 3 of my dogs requring stomach pumping after eating it in a friend's yard.

My homechecks go much further than a look round the back yard, I discuss any concerns, potential issues such as dogs next door and so on.

I used to be a typical dog owner, one dog for many years etc and a love of them. It wasn't until I started handling dogs at a shelter and fostering many dogs myself, reading about behaviour etc that I got to where I am now. In a position to offer advice and assistance - it isn't about being high and mighty and difficult to deal with.

What I do is about the dogs and ensuring that they are going to be happy, loved and mostly kept in the home I'm placing them in for the rest of their lives. During that time they should be provided with a kind and loving enviroment with all their exercise and medical needs taken care of.

It's also about ensuring I make a good match with what the people want - it isn't only about the look of the dog, it's whether it is going to be a good fit with their wants and needs, otherwise they'll end up moving the dog eventually.

Does that sound ridiculous to you?

I just had a long conversation with someone who adopted a purebred puppy from a breeder, this person has suffered with this dog for 18 months. It is not the dog's fault, it's just that it is a mismatch - not so much the breed but the age. The dog is far too active for this peron's lifestyle, they dont want to return to the breeder for reasons I won't disclose but I wouldn't either in this case. The dog is desperately trying to interact with the old dogs the person has and just causes fights because they don't want to play. It also barks incessantly so the neighbours have complained. That's what can happen when you work full time and bring a puppy in ...

I could go on but I'm sure I've bored everyone. Rescue people do make mistakes but so do applicants - like forgetting to tell me they have:

1. An unfenced pool

2. Cats

3. Children

4. Free range rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs

Lucky I'm thorough.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homechecks are an extremely good idea. I did one yesterday. You can't see Wandering Jew from Google Earth, nor can you see tiny gaps in fences, portions of fencing that are only knee height, toxic chemicals & fertiliser standing right where the dog will be (as I did yesterday). Fertiliser is attractive to dogs - I know from firsthand experience of having 3 of my dogs requring stomach pumping after eating it in a friend's yard.

My homechecks go much further than a look round the back yard, I discuss any concerns, potential issues such as dogs next door and so on.

I used to be a typical dog owner, one dog for many years etc and a love of them. It wasn't until I started handling dogs at a shelter and fostering many dogs myself, reading about behaviour etc that I got to where I am now. In a position to offer advice and assistance - it isn't about being high and mighty and difficult to deal with.

What I do is about the dogs and ensuring that they are going to be happy, loved and mostly kept in the home I'm placing them in for the rest of their lives. During that time they should be provided with a kind and loving enviroment with all their exercise and medical needs taken care of.

It's also about ensuring I make a good match with what the people want - it isn't only about the look of the dog, it's whether it is going to be a good fit with their wants and needs, otherwise they'll end up moving the dog eventually.

Does that sound ridiculous to you?

I just had a long conversation with someone who adopted a purebred puppy from a breeder, this person has suffered with this dog for 18 months. It is not the dog's fault, it's just that it is a mismatch - not so much the breed but the age. The dog is far too active for this peron's lifestyle, they dont want to return to the breeder for reasons I won't disclose but I wouldn't either in this case. The dog is desperately trying to interact with the old dogs the person has and just causes fights because they don't want to play. It also barks incessantly so the neighbours have complained. That's what can happen when you work full time and bring a puppy in ...

I could go on but I'm sure I've bored everyone. Rescue people do make mistakes but so do applicants - like forgetting to tell me they have:

1. An unfenced pool

2. Cats

3. Children

4. Free range rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs

Lucky I'm thorough.

Well explained Dogmad. All very valid and reasonable points.

I agree that is the dog rescue's perogative to carefully choose where the dogs they have cared for go.

This is the dogs chance at a happy and appropriate home and they just want to make absolutely sure that the dog's welfare is top priority.

I'm in two minds about the full time thing though. But again I think it needs to be judged on a case by case situation.

If I am responsible for rehoming a dog, the people have to walk over hot coals, bow, beg do tricks and impress me with their nice manners. If they pass all that then I go and look at their home their pets and family and make sure the washing is up to date and that the dog will live the life of Riley which it so richly deserves. I then cry a lot as I say goodbye and good luck.

and yes I am GOD of DOG when rehoming,I am the dogs guardian angel protector and poo picker ;)

so there !

Big D

Difference is that whilst the pounds are full of Staffy and Kelpie crosses, that can actually do a fair amount of damage, a Flattie simply can’t. They have been bred to carry fowl; they have big soft mouths, round teeth, and weak jaws.

Total rubbish.

A Flatcoated Retriever is a large dog with exactly the same sort of teeth as any other dog. There's NOTHING weak about a gundogs jaw - what most gundogs have is good bite inhibtion. This has to be taught.

Some gundogs have hard mouths and ANY gundog sufficiently motivated can inflict a very painful bite. Its precisely this "all breed x are lovely dogs and all breed Y are nasty" thinking that sees literally thousands of kids in families with 'good breeds' take a trip to casualty every year.

Toss your "all Flatcoats are angels" thinking out the door Big D. The first thing any responsible rescue does is evaluate the dog's behaviour without taking breed into account. If that dog had been properly evaluated you should thank your lucky stars the rescue made the right decision about not rehoming it.

On one hand you've had the dog in your home for at least the last two months and you know how it will react in almost every situation- the dog's behaviour has been assessed and you know exactly what sort of home would best suit that dog.

That's not always the case.

If you're talking about an ethical rescue group, that should always be the case, in my opinion.

The dog should have done a minimum of one month in a home (for me, it's a minimum of two months but I can see how that might not be possible for everyone), the dog must be temperament tested and tested for suitability in certain home situations (children is the one I'd consider to be most important) and based on all that you learn from assessing the dog's behaviour, a "best case" home should be fairly easy to determine.

If the dog in your son's situation had not even been there long enough to complete quarantine or was rehomed to the first person to show up (assuming your son's home was a better situation for the dog, we really can't know either way), I doubt very much that the group concerned was especially ethical so in reality, you probably dodged a bullet there anyway ;)

That's what can happen when you work full time and bring a puppy in ...

I have to say I disagree with this. It depends on the individual situation.

Both my OH and I work full time and bought 2 puppies into our family.

Both are happy, well adjusted dogs, never had a neighbour complaint, garden is still in tact, no behavioural problems.

why? because we spend quality time exercising/training our dogs and wen we arent here, they have plenty to occupy them (toys, kongs etc).

I dont think a blanket statement like that is fair. Just my opinion, of course ;)

On one hand you've had the dog in your home for at least the last two months and you know how it will react in almost every situation- the dog's behaviour has been assessed and you know exactly what sort of home would best suit that dog.

That's not always the case.

If you're talking about an ethical rescue group, that should always be the case, in my opinion.

The dog should have done a minimum of one month in a home (for me, it's a minimum of two months but I can see how that might not be possible for everyone), the dog must be temperament tested and tested for suitability in certain home situations (children is the one I'd consider to be most important) and based on all that you learn from assessing the dog's behaviour, a "best case" home should be fairly easy to determine.

If the dog in your son's situation had not even been there long enough to complete quarantine or was rehomed to the first person to show up (assuming your son's home was a better situation for the dog, we really can't know either way), I doubt very much that the group concerned was especially ethical so in reality, you probably dodged a bullet there anyway ;)

How is anyone to know which rescue groups are ethical and which aren't? You can only go on what you're told over the phone. He assumed this group were genuine, they were quick off the mark to get the dog which was originally advertised as free to a good home. He didn't especially want a free dog, he wanted a particular type of dog and this one was the right breed.

I would not meet most rescue groups incredibly stringent criteria, but my dogs have a pretty happy life. enough that when a breeder was looking for a special home for her pick boy she offered him to me, knowing he'd have a fab home and get to do all the things dogs of his breed should be doing.

Both are happy, well adjusted dogs, never had a neighbour complaint, garden is still in tact, no behavioural problems.

why? because we spend quality time exercising/training our dogs and wen we arent here, they have plenty to occupy them (toys, kongs etc).

I dont think a blanket statement like that is fair. Just my opinion, of course ;)

Same here. All our dogs came here as puppies, all are well behaved, non-destructive and very happy. They get along great with each other and with our cats. We have beautiful gardens and even with three active dogs, they remain beautiful. The only behavioural problem we've had was some nuisance barking from Benson which we nipped in the bud, and he was barking whether we were here or not.

Personally I think too many in rescue have a 'god' complex and lose sight of what is in the best interests of the dog.

I used to recommend rescue to people looking for a dog (second to a registered breeder) but I don't bother these days (other than breed specific) given things I have heard first hand from people trying to deal with rescue and also from seeing the antics and carry on in the rescue thread here - no quarantine, DA dogs, inadequate temp assessments, over the top criteria, melodramatics and the save at all costs mentality.

IMO rescue is its own worst enemy at times.

Agreed. It's not that easy to tell who is ethical either, especially the smaller breed rescues that aren't quite on the 'radar'. I know of one in particular that doesn't quarantine and dogs go straight from the pound to the foster carers. And yet on here, they are considered 'ethical'.

How is anyone to know which rescue groups are ethical and which aren't? You can only go on what you're told over the phone. He assumed this group were genuine, they were quick off the mark to get the dog which was originally advertised as free to a good home.

I don't think it's necessarily any one thing that makes a rescue ethical, rather, it's a lot of the smaller things.

Just off the top of my head..

Does the group desex before rehoming? If not, that'd be a definite deal breaker.

What vet work is included? You'd want at least an up-to-date C3 and a microchip.

If the dog has come from a pound, has it had a C3 and done three weeks in quarantine to minimise the risk of transmitting infection?

Has the dog been temperament assessed? If not, another deal breaker.

How long are dogs in care for or are they just put in boarding until a home comes up?

What are their rehoming policies? Is it first come, first served or are dogs matched to homes?

Do they complete home checks before placing dogs?

If you are unable to keep the dog for some reason, what are their policies on returning the dog?

That's obviously not a complete list but the answers from those questions should give you some idea. Obviously people are not always honest so personally, I'd be doing a bit of checking around also. Google can turn up some pretty interesting stuff, even if the group doesn't have a web site.

So if someone has owned a dog that has died of old age or wants a second dog you will be checking the yard for small fences, fertiliser, plants, and commenting on the neighbourhood?

If I went to a rescue organisation for the type of dog I wanted to rehome and said age, temperment, etc I was looking for and I was told sorry not til we check and make sure you arent lying about your fences and anything else we ask you - no we dont accept photos of said fences- and want to make sure you havent left snailbait or whatever around etc Id move on elsewhere that did understand I had owned a dog already in the same place and knew what I was looking for to suit. And then if someone said sorry that yappy dog out the back fence might upset the new dog and teach it bad habits or people walking along the fence may be a problem, etc youd be left wonderign does this organisation truly want to rehome dogs.

It was a good debate to start.

But, having said that, I disagree about responsible rescue being over the top in the screening it applies to people wanting to adopt.

And I speak from the point of view of someone who's adopted a rescue animal.

I got our puss from the UQ Adoption Program. Heaven help me, I worked at that uni. But I was more than happy to go thro' all the screening process, which included filling in one of the best Application to Adopt forms I've come across. More than happy, too, to offer the names of referees who know us as pet owners. And to be interviewed.

In fact, I'd expect a responsible rescue to do this. In the best interest of all concerned.

Me, the owner...in getting an appropriate match or being refused an animal that the rescue realises is not suitable for my circumstances/expectations.

The animal...in making sure it gets a good home that 'sticks' this time & isn't abandoned again.

The rescue...in fulfilling its obligations to the animal & the community.

The funny thing is that all of this is exactly what I supplied to a registered breeder when we first went looking to adopt an ex-show dog of a breed new to us...a tibetan spaniel.

I first sent the breeder a summary of our history as pet owners, descriptions of our lifestyle & how a tibbie would live, photos of your house & yard (showing fences). And referees. Yes, she approved of us to adopt one of her lovely tibs.

And I only found out AFTER she delivered the little one to us....when she came bearing piles of ribbons. This little dog had been her best & had in fact won Best Puppy in the entire Brisbane Royal. She'd wanted to retire her to a good pet home & when she checked out all the info we'd voluntarily given, she'd decided we were it. When I asked why she hadn't told me about all the little one's prizes, she answered, 'You just loved her for herself when you met her.' She was right!

So I'm not at all peeved by being screened down to my socks tops when applying to adopt a dog....from a rescue or from a breeder. I'm more likely to be impressed. I'll also tell that person, I won't be insulted if they turn me down for a particular dog or cat because they didn't think it was a good match. They KNOW the animal & it's their call and their responsibility.

And I should add, our adopted rescue puss from UQ proved a perfect match for what we asked for. She's fantastic with our tibbies, might as well be another small dog. And a real loyal little pet.

Edited by mita

I can see both sides. Some rescues are over-picky & unwilling to ever bend rules, but some adopters can be more than a little unreasonable and pushy too.

I think a lot comes down to how the rescue phrases their refusals. Being told point blank you can't adopt a dog from the rescue because you work full time, as someone on this thread says happened to them, is (IMO) silly. Plenty of dogs live with people who work full time, and are perfectly happy. That's different to being told you can't adopt this particular dog because you work full time. Every dog has its own issues, and some wouldn't cope in that situation.

I don't have any problems with screening processes, however, I do have problems with people who don't keep their word, or who go over the top in screeing would-be owners. Work fulltime? Yep, but that doesn't mean never home. Got dogs next door? Yep, but they aren't a problem at all. Got cats? Yep, grown up with dogs and more than able to take care of themselves.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wanting to do a home check, however I have got three dogs from ANKC breeders who never wanted to, so I don't see why anyone else would need to either. For a rescue organisation wanting to send someone around to do a home check, I would need a police check done on that person first.

Too often I see on here "Home check needed in Whoop-Whoop" and any old person could put their hand up and go do a home check. They are not necessarily reliable or responsible.

I think the key word I am reading here is "SOME" rescue organisations.

Speaking from the rescue organisation side, I don't like dealing with members of the general public who insist that "Rover" advertised is the dog for them. Rover has been advertised as not suitable for a home with cats and children but the member of the public insists that their own cat will be "fine" and so will their children. Should I disappoint them I wonder?

Or the people that call you late at night and want an instant dog? Like 10.00 pm. It just couldn't wait and they are very important you know. They are going to give a very lucky dog a home and you'd better jump to it.

Or the person that called me last week to adopt an old dog, I asked a simple question - is your yard fenced? The answer was yes, three quarters of it is. My answer was that the last quarter of the fence would be the essential part of my decision not to allow him to adopt the dog.

Disappointment after disappointment, served up in the nicest possible way of course. :laugh:

Isn't 75% a pass mark in most instances?????? :):(:) :D

I think the key word I am reading here is "SOME" rescue organisations.

Speaking from the rescue organisation side, I don't like dealing with members of the general public who insist that "Rover" advertised is the dog for them. Rover has been advertised as not suitable for a home with cats and children but the member of the public insists that their own cat will be "fine" and so will their children. Should I disappoint them I wonder?

Or the people that call you late at night and want an instant dog? Like 10.00 pm. It just couldn't wait and they are very important you know. They are going to give a very lucky dog a home and you'd better jump to it.

Or the person that called me last week to adopt an old dog, I asked a simple question - is your yard fenced? The answer was yes, three quarters of it is. My answer was that the last quarter of the fence would be the essential part of my decision not to allow him to adopt the dog.

Disappointment after disappointment, served up in the nicest possible way of course. :D

Isn't 75% a pass mark in most instances?????? :):(:) ;)

Only 75% is fence here, the other 25 is the house :laugh:

I dont think a blanket statement like that is fair. Just my opinion, of course :)

But it wasn't a "blanket statement" - I said CAN happen when you work full time not DOES or THAT"S WHAT HAPPENS.

I got a 2 yr old foster dog and he was just fine. I don't take younger than that but even 2 yr olds can be a problem when you work fulltime. You also need to understand that I get many phone calls from people having problems with young dogs when they work full time. There are exceptions to every rule but I have found it certainly doesn't suit me - one young dog I had received 2 hours worth of exercise every day, I was worn out but she certainly wasn't and proceeded to destroy much of my yard and furniture was chewed etc. I didn't get rid of her but I rehomed her appropriately.

I don't have any problems with screening processes, however, I do have problems with people who don't keep their word, or who go over the top in screeing would-be owners. Work fulltime? Yep, but that doesn't mean never home. Got dogs next door? Yep, but they aren't a problem at all. Got cats? Yep, grown up with dogs and more than able to take care of themselves.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wanting to do a home check, however I have got three dogs from ANKC breeders who never wanted to, so I don't see why anyone else would need to either. For a rescue organisation wanting to send someone around to do a home check, I would need a police check done on that person first.

Too often I see on here "Home check needed in Whoop-Whoop" and any old person could put their hand up and go do a home check. They are not necessarily reliable or responsible.

Good point Gayle K - and further to that (police check) if you supply your home address and answer yes work fulltime to said question how do you know where that information is stored and if it is kept in a secure location? As opposed to in a box somewhere in a shelf or worse tossed into a general bin when no longer required that anyone could access. Yet another home invasion last night not that far away so of course people get more and more cautious about security of personal info.

So if someone has owned a dog that has died of old age or wants a second dog you will be checking the yard for small fences, fertiliser, plants, and commenting on the neighbourhood?

If I went to a rescue organisation for the type of dog I wanted to rehome and said age, temperment, etc I was looking for and I was told sorry not til we check and make sure you arent lying about your fences and anything else we ask you - no we dont accept photos of said fences- and want to make sure you havent left snailbait or whatever around etc Id move on elsewhere that did understand I had owned a dog already in the same place and knew what I was looking for to suit. And then if someone said sorry that yappy dog out the back fence might upset the new dog and teach it bad habits or people walking along the fence may be a problem, etc youd be left wonderign does this organisation truly want to rehome dogs.

Lucky I don't have the blunt attitude to my voluntary role that you are portraying here. You do need to be diplomatic and pleasant or you won't get the job done. People have come back to me on a repeat basis for other dogs after their dogs have died. But if I don't know you, then I don't. Simple as that. Yesterday's yard check was for a first time dog owner, perhaps I shouldn't have looked so closely, after all, if the dog I place there dies of poisoning there are plenty more aren't there? Perhaps next applicant I meet, I'll keep my rose tinted glasses on and go "She'll be right mate", just tell me which dog you want, you seem nice so you can have one.

Do you think that everyone is honest in this world? I've learned that they aren't and that they will lie to get what they want. Even my former boss, wanted a labrador, swore blue in the face that he'd walk the dog twice a day. He didn't walk it at all, dog became destructive so he rescued another companion (not from me), double trouble so he got rid of them.

I also don't believe in discrimination, everyone goes through the same process or it just wouldn't be fair, would it? :)

PS I have had a full Police Check as I also volunteered in a nursing home for 6 yrs, taking my dogs in on a fortnightly basis.

Edited by dogmad