Rescue Organisations

YOLO

Sorry I should of clarifed my post. I meant no one to rescue them from the pound. I will go back and edit my post.

It's clear that you don't operate this way but I find odd the sort of semi-suggestion that because a dog would otherwise be dead, an inquirer should just take any old nonsense from a rescue group. If any rescue group operates like this then their dogs won't be adopted anyway.

That's the thing, people go to pounds before rescue groups often because they know it's 1: easier to get the dog, 2: they are saving the dog from having to go to another place before being permanently placed, and 3: they are saving them from death row.

What I don't understand is why a rescue group would think that a dog which has been in a pound for a while and potential owners have come and seen the dog and declined, would then go to a rescue organisation to get this unwanted dog and pay twice as much for it as they would have straight from the pound.

I see many dogs at the pounds which rescue don't want because they know they probably aren't re-homeable and the ones which would be easy to home they snatch up. What's the point in that if the dog would most likely be sold straight from the pound to a good family?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also clarify that I knows this happens because I met a foster woman before I got Miley and she had taken a Cavalier from a pound the day it came in.

Why would a rescue place do that other than to make a profit? Why not see if it goes to a permanent home first? I am sure he would have been bought from the pound if given half a chance.. instead he was taken into foster care and held there until the foster woman found him another home and sold him for twice as much.

It would make more sense to rescue dogs which have sat at the pound for a little while and are really at risk of being pts. That's what rescuing would mean to me.

ETA- of course I am just peaking of pound rescues, not rescue groups who take in dogs from owners. That part of rescue I really admire.

Edited by puggerup

Before people bag rescues and post lots of angry faces, they need to realise that most rescues are run by volunteers who use THEIR OWN MONEY to spring dogs from the pound, feed them, desex them etc.

It would be great if they could return calls within 24 hours, but many of them have their own full-time jobs, visit pounds to take photos, take sick dogs to the vet, spend all their spare cash on dogs etc.

A bit of understanding would go a long way. If someone doesn't return your call, call them back.

Understand your point but 1 MONTH thats a bit rich.

Ill probably cause a drama when I talk about this one but the experience changed some things that go on in my house.

I was asked by a rescue group via this forum to do a house check for them as the people didnt live in their area. I wasnt able to do that for 2 days so they sent someone else around and they had decided not to give the lady a dog.

O.K. Fair enough so perhaps she told lies or something, perhaps she didnt have fencing etc.

The reason given was that the person who had done the check attended at around 10 am and her 3 kids were still in the pyjamas.

I thought - bloody hell if that's what people think if they catch your kids in their pyjamas past a certain hour Id better be aware of that. I threw out every single pair of pyjamas that were in the house and from then on my kids sleep in Tshirts and track pants - so if any dog people come to my house they wont think Im a bad dog owner

if I havent made sure the kids get dressed as soon as their feet hit the floor. - True story we have not had pjs or dressing gowns in this house ever since.

Ill probably cause a drama when I talk about this one but the experience changed some things that go on in my house.

I was asked by a rescue group via this forum to do a house check for them as the people didnt live in their area. I wasnt able to do that for 2 days so they sent someone else around and they had decided not to give the lady a dog.

O.K. Fair enough so perhaps she told lies or something, perhaps she didnt have fencing etc.

The reason given was that the person who had done the check attended at around 10 am and her 3 kids were still in the pyjamas.

I thought - bloody hell if that's what people think if they catch your kids in their pyjamas past a certain hour Id better be aware of that. I threw out every single pair of pyjamas that were in the house and from then on my kids sleep in Tshirts and track pants - so if any dog people come to my house they wont think Im a bad dog owner

if I havent made sure the kids get dressed as soon as their feet hit the floor. - True story we have not had pjs or dressing gowns in this house ever since.

Eek, that's a little picky! Whenever possible my malinois and myself are both still asleep on the bed at that hour of the morning. :laugh:

Ok that makes me a bad owner then. I was still in PJ's at ten. Did not have to go to work til 11 and I was cuddling on the couch with two labs and two cats. Looks like what I wear is more important than all attention mine were getting.My kids as teenagers stopped wearing PJs and wore trackies and tshirts instead. That way its hard to tell if they have just got up or not. Funny to think they would be better dog owners than me going on that reasoning. That has to be one of the craziest reasons I have heard of.

Ok that makes me a bad owner then. I was still in PJ's at ten. Did not have to go to work til 11 and I was cuddling on the couch with two labs and two cats. Looks like what I wear is more important than all attention mine were getting.My kids as teenagers stopped wearing PJs and wore trackies and tshirts instead. That way its hard to tell if they have just got up or not. Funny to think they would be better dog owners than me going on that reasoning. That has to be one of the craziest reasons I have heard of.

It was showing she was disorganised apparently but I made sure no one thought that about me for that reason again :laugh:

Of all the things I would be worried about with someone coming to check whether I should have a dog or not that would have been definitely about the last of them.

Not any more - no pjs in this house :laugh:

It was showing she was disorganised apparently but I made sure no one thought that about me for that reason again :laugh:

Of all the things I would be worried about with someone coming to check whether I should have a dog or not that would have been definitely about the last of them.

Not any more - no pjs in this house :laugh:

Heck after a long week of wearing uncomfortable corporate attire I usually wear my pjs all weekend lol

Just having read back over the whole thread I have to say I am peeved

if you work full time when does the dog get a chance to play 1 hr exercise and interaction a day isnt very much is it ?

the dog may be out of a pound but its not fair on the dog to be stuck behind 4 walls i think!

If I dont work full time how the heck am I supposed to pay for their premium food, toys, vet bills etc?????????????????????? Not everyone has the luxury of being a housewife or whatever else allows you to be at home all the time.

Oh and actually my dogs get A LOT more then 1 hr a day exercise and interation thanks! I cant even remember the last time I went out because I am ALWAYS straight home with them. They sleep on my bed. The come to the shop with me.

And actually I would think my dogs- any dogs- would prefer 8-10 hours alone time 5 days a week with plenty of toys etc- the other 14 hours of the day with their very caring, loving owners. Not to mention the 48 hours of a weekend they are with me.

blah

People do not understand these things. Yes it is our choice- there are so many dogs out there that need us. Without us they have no one. Rescue is alot more than just saving a dog from death row. Alot more.

See that's where you are wrong.. look at this thread.. people WANT to rescue dogs, but when rescue groups get their hands on them first it makes it hard.

For example, there was a Cavalier in a pound for a week, it would have cost me $150 to get him out. I posted a thread asking for some help getting him to me, and within hours of posting, his ad was pulled from the site. I bet a rescue group saw my thread and jumped on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is now sold on for more like $300 being a pure bred.

So now you are proposing that rescue groups rescue to make a profit? I don't think so.

If you read my post, I rescued 2 dogs from the pound and spent $750 and $1000 on each of them. This did include the standard things such as desexing, vaccinating, microchipping, heartworm testing etc which must all be done if you are going to rescue responsibly. Out of every 50 or so dogs in the pound, perhaps 1 or 2 are already desexed - that's a major BONUS. Oh but hang on, almost all of them need a dental. See where I'm coming from? Most rescues simply cover the normal vet's charges of the basic essentials, no way do we cover the on the top costs.

Most rescues are in the red, not the black. Most rescues do not charge extra for a purebred but if they did - good luck to them.

Some pounds are irresponsible because they let dogs go undesexed. Sure, YOU could be a great owner that will get the dog desexed and perhaps the dental it may need. If you choose not to get it desexed, you won't let it roam or mate with another dog when it comes into season. But, if you are a backyard breeder or opportunistic, you'll think "Wow, I can make some money from breeding this Oodle with this other undesexed dog - great!".

My only first hand experience with rescue was when I took on a pregnant ACD, kept 2 of the pups, had homes lined up for the other 2 and one fell through...just as I was to start chemotherapy (diagnosed when they were 6 weeks old)

I contacted a local rescue as I would be unable to screen for a good home.

I surrendered him to them at age 12 weeks and he was placed in a great home. Even though, legally I had no rights to ever hear about him again I was told by the rescue of his placing ( general geographical area) and the new owners emailed me a couple of times with pics.

I do not know what hoops the person and his daughter had to go through to get him but all I know is my pup was placed well and by the pics seems very happy and fit with them.

My 2 are now 11 months old. They helped me (along with their mother) all through chemo, radiation and out the other side to remission.

I am so very grateful to that rescue.

Edited by di_dee1

:laugh::laugh: ;)

That is extremely sad. For a rescue to judge a family because their kids were in PJ's at 10am.

Now that IS bizarre and over the top...

I'll also clarify that I knows this happens because I met a foster woman before I got Miley and she had taken a Cavalier from a pound the day it came in.

Why would a rescue place do that other than to make a profit? Why not see if it goes to a permanent home first? I am sure he would have been bought from the pound if given half a chance.. instead he was taken into foster care and held there until the foster woman found him another home and sold him for twice as much.

It would make more sense to rescue dogs which have sat at the pound for a little while and are really at risk of being pts. That's what rescuing would mean to me.

ETA- of course I am just peaking of pound rescues, not rescue groups who take in dogs from owners. That part of rescue I really admire.

To ensure the dog doesn't end up in the wrong hands??? sadly not only decent people go to the pound to source a dog, so do BYB. :laugh:

I do not do that myself but yes it does happen.

Edited by k9angel

I'd also suggest that puggerup might like to do some research. Have a look at Renbury Farm's website - check out just how many dogs are already desexed (very few) and look at their fee structure and see how adopting from that pound works. I think you'll find that their charges are comparable with most of the NSW rescue groups.

The rescues I have had first hand experience with, either adopting a dog or volunteering, have been perfect. The people I didn't like were the RSPCA in Yagoona, who said they wanted to do a home check. I considered that intrusive so I left.

This is where it is in the best interests of registered breeders to be careful aswell.

I have seen alot who are very judgmental of other people, and will refuse to sell a dog to someone for all kinds of presumptuous reasons that are either completely wrong or have nothing to do with the customers ability to look after the dog. With this attitude they only marginalize themselves and encourage people to look elsewhere.

Animals in pounds are not necessarily "unwanted" - there just isn't enough time to find them all new homes in the regulation time set by the various acts in each state. And sadly, there isn't the space to hold them all indefinitely while they wait for their prospective new owners to walk through the door...

Rescue can only take certain numbers of animals - for similar reasons - so it's usually their perogative to take the ones that might have a better chance of rehoming in a reasonable timeframe. This means that they can then rescue more animals. Most rescue can only take animals whose time at the pound has been served, and who are at a very real risk of being euthanaised to make space for new arrivals - literally at the final bell so to speak.

Many rescues that scan the pounds/ pound sites for certain types of animal that may be their specialty or preference, and they will put their name on that animal to be rescued if it doesn't have direct adoption prospects straight from the pound. Who are we to cast judgement on their preference for a specific type, age, breed of animal to rescue? It's their choice to do rescue, but that doesn't mean that they have to take everything that is available when it's time is up - they know what they can cope with, and they make their choices based on that (and a few other things besides).

How, and to whom, they rehome is also their choice... some may have what appear to be crazy or bizarre requirements, but there is usually a reason why they make those decisions also - and they probably are somewhat reluctant to discuss those reasons over and over again to an unsuccessful applicant for a particular dog.

No-one likes to be told they can't have something they want, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, be an adult, and move on...

Oh - and there are rude or strange people in almost any industry that deals with the public - why should rescue be any different? *sigh*

Not all of us are fanatical people who don't think anyone else can care for animals as well as we do... find another rescue and try them instead...

T.

I agree, the RSPCA is ridiculous about homechecks- a few years ago I was interested in a dog there, they wanted to charge me $50 for a homecheck (redeemable only IF I was accepted) and then warned me that because I have a paved yard it was unlikely I would pass. :love: I decided not to waste my money.

Another rescue allowed me to adopt without a homecheck, but the dog was unsuitable for my family (foster person assured me the dog was calm and non aggressive- NOT the case) I got no support and the situation ended badly.

Finally, my last experience involved a (free!!) home check by a lovely guy who brought us coffee- we passed with flying colours (despite our work hours, children and small paved yard!), they matched us with the most perfectly suited dog and sent her home with us for a 2 week trial, fee payable after that if she worked out. I have nothing but good things to say about them and regularly recommend them to anyone looking for a dog.

Edited by ✽deelee

Many rescues that scan the pounds/ pound sites for certain types of animal that may be their specialty or preference, and they will put their name on that animal to be rescued if it doesn't have direct adoption prospects straight from the pound. Who are we to cast judgement on their preference for a specific type, age, breed of animal to rescue? It's their choice to do rescue, but that doesn't mean that they have to take everything that is available when it's time is up - they know what they can cope with, and they make their choices based on that (and a few other things besides).

Here's my issue, the dogs best interest is to be re-homed to a good family, not to be taken by a rescue group when they could very well go straight to their new home, to then be fostered and the group then choose who can and can't have the dog based on stupid things like wearing PJ's in the afternoon.

Dogs best interest remember? If the dog is likely to be placed straight from the pound, then leave it there, don't take it, foster it, raise the price of it and confuse it more.

There is a reason breed specific organisations will get these dogs from the pound and I don't believe it's all in the best interest of the dog.

I don't see how that would make a profit.

If a dog isn't used to being kennelled, being in a pound will really stress it. The dog is much better off being out of the pound, and into foster care where it can be rehabilitated properly, trained, and time can be taken to make sure it goes to a home that really suits it.

That is a much better way than dogs being selected by pet owners directly from pounds with no way of knowing the dog's real nature. It gives those dogs a better chance. They are far less likely to be returned.

If we had more people fostering for rescue, more dogs could be helped in this way.

It is important that rescuers take on dogs that have a good chance of rehoming, and not just take on any dog that needs a home. There are far too many needing homes and far too few rescuers.