Dogs/or One Of Them Has Eaten Half A Block Of Butter..

MissMolly

Just came home to find that tthe 4 girls had gotten into the bin, now normally this bin isn't used for food scraps etc, but yesterday I threw half a block of butter in there (it was inside a butter container) and it has been licked clean.. I am unsure which one has eaten it or if it was shared about, at a guess I would say Miss Lily is the one that had it as she has some on the top of her head.. Lily is almost two...

Now my girls never get fatty foods and I am worried that it could lead to pancreastitis, am I worrying over nothing? and if I should be worried how long would it take for sythpoms of pancreastitis to show up? I know a few signs are sore tummy, vomitting and yellow poo's..

Any advice apprectiated..

ETA They they are cavaliers..

Edited by MissMolly

Don't know what breed of dog you have or if they are prone to pancreatitis .. , sorry :D

I guess just watch for any signs of being in pain/unwell...

Hamlet once ate a whole container full :( he has done it a few times actually .. ;) No trouble . (KoolieXspaniel, 7 yr old)

Hope all is well.

Don't know what breed of dog you have or if they are prone to pancreatitis .. , sorry :D

I guess just watch for any signs of being in pain/unwell...

Hamlet once ate a whole container full :( he has done it a few times actually .. ;) No trouble . (KoolieXspaniel, 7 yr old)

Hope all is well.

Thanks persephone, they are cavaliers, (just edited my post)..

Just came home to find that tthe 4 girls had gotten into the bin, now normally this bin isn't used for food scraps etc, but yesterday I threw half a block of butter in there (it was inside a butter container) and it has been licked clean.. I am unsure which one has eaten it or if it was shared about, at a guess I would say Miss Lily is the one that had it as she has some on the top of her head.. Lily is almost two...

Now my girls never get fatty foods and I am worried that it could lead to pancreastitis, am I worrying over nothing? and if I should be worried how long would it take for sythpoms of pancreastitis to show up? I know a few signs are sore tummy, vomitting and yellow poo's..

if she were a horse id be giving her a dose of parrafin oil, shoots anything straight through. better to be phoning the vet i think

I would fast the greedy little pigs for 24 hours and let the enzymes do their work. Water only.

If they appear unwell in this time, then most definitely go to the vet immediately.

As they are already on a low fat diet the chances are good that they will have little go wrong, particularly if they shared it around.

Probably will add some gloss to their coats ;) and fix any constipation, naughty girls!

Souff

I don't imagine that one single one-off splurge of fat is going to trigger pancreatitis, I would relax on that score.

Just keep an eye on her in case of a tummy upset.

They will be fine. Dogs do eat worse things than butter, its not exactly poison, just rich milk.

Too fatty & they will do a quick puke. Otherwise a loose poo or two.

No panic.

if she were a horse id be giving her a dose of parrafin oil, shoots anything straight through. better to be phoning the vet i think

I think the butter is most likely to do that - no need for any other help!

Most likely it will go pretty much straight through them - just monitor their condition closely. Over the years my dogs have stolen & eaten butter, chocolate, cooked chicken bones, you name it, with no ill-effects. Not saying I would GIVE them any of those things just, don't be too paranoid when an otherwise healthy dog eats something bad!

I don't imagine that one single one-off splurge of fat is going to trigger pancreatitis, I would relax on that score.

Actually it can.

Pancreatitis can be chronic or acute and can and does occur after a single very fatty meal.

Actually it can.

Pancreatitis can be chronic or acute and can and does occur after a single very fatty meal.

Yes I am a human sufferer of pancreatitis and I cannot take much fat EVER in my diet. One fatty meal and it would be disaster !

Just want to say that the girls have been fine and have not shown any signs of having upset tummys etc... I will still keep an eye on them but it seems like they will be fine, and I will be going out and buying a dog proof bin, if there is such a thing..

Thanks everyone...

i had a dog stole a whole tub about 500 grams worth ate the whole thing licked clean nothing happened not even sick even lost a gram of weight in that one week soo not sure but it had reverse effects on my fella (kelpie 10 mnths)

Must be the day for it :thumbsup:

I roasted a piece of pork today & cut the crackling off & left it on the side of the plate.

Popped it in the microwave to cover. Put it on the top while I warmed something & forgot.

Angie must have jumped on the work surface & pinched it :) I found her eating the last bit on the lounge.

Uggh all that fat, hope she doesn't puke.

I panicked when my BC got a whole tub of margerine....shouldn't have worried....he puked it all up ON THE CARPET IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM!!!! I still have the stain 18 months later!!!! Horrible dog!!!!

:laugh:

Sorry, nothing constructive to add.

Other than I would have stolen the pork crackling too! :(

I panicked when my BC got a whole tub of margerine....shouldn't have worried....he puked it all up ON THE CARPET IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM!!!! I still have the stain 18 months later!!!! Horrible dog!!!!

Oh ugh!!!! :laugh:

Glad they are okay MM. I haven't had a garbage bin for many years. I have naughty dogs :(