Desexing

aussielover

Mindy is going in for desexing on Wednesday.

We are getting her back from Guide Dogs on Friday at lunch.

I am concerned about keeping her quiet for ~ 10 days.

She is used to getting 3 (off leash) walks a day for around 30 mins each time and also other shortish (10-15 mins) leash walks.

I am not sure she will cope not being exercised as she gets a bit mad if she even misses out on one of her walks.

I was thinking about getting her some interactive toys and of course keeping up the training. I might work on some more tricks with her as well.

I am also considering buying her a crate (she has outgrown the one provided and they only have one size for puppies). Do you think a soft crate for a 6 month old lab puppy is aksing for trouble? She is not a chewer generally but being cooped up may bring it out...

How do others manage in the post op period?

I didnt bother keeping Lexi quiet for the 10 days, she knew when she was sore but within a couple of days she was back to her old self, I just checked the wound daily to make sure there was no damage but all was good

I found that too with the rescue pups I used to have. They know better then us when they are sore and when they aren't.

I've got a rescue pup coming home with me tonight that is getting desexed today, I've sectioned off a little of my yard so she has her own area to get better and can't run around too much until she gets better and gets to know Oscar.

Akira was the same. She was groggy the first day after her op, but after that she was running around like a looney and was impossible to keep quiet. She even jumped on my car bonnet with stitches! We checked her stitches every day to make sure they were fine and made sure she didn't get them wet and it was all good.

Akira was the same. She was groggy the first day after her op, but after that she was running around like a looney and was impossible to keep quiet. She even jumped on my car bonnet with stitches! We checked her stitches every day to make sure they were fine and made sure she didn't get them wet and it was all good.

We didn't even get the groggy... vet told us that Emmy woke up with energy and let everyone know that she was awake. she went running down the corridor when we went to pick her up..

all very well if the dog is in pain or not, your concern is the fact the abdominal muscles have been cut and now the risk of tearing and herniation is VERY high. I have seen pups brought back with internal stitches ripped apart because the dog 'wanted to go play'

crate the dog, walk it on lead as long as the vet tells you and go for your check up at the end of the 10 days. Better safe then another operation.

That is what i am worried about. I have also seen plenty of dogs that have ripped out the stiches through play. And she is not my dog so I can't really risk letting her run around when she is meant to be resting.

I was more after games or training that really tires their mind (but not body) .

This is something I've been wondering about too. Ruby (my Labrador puppy) is 5 months old tomorrow, and I was told that desexing her at around 6 months would be the best time. My worry is, what do you do with them after the operation? Ruby is outside during the day while I am at work, but inside at night. Do you mean crate them for the whole 10 days, Nekhbet?

I'll be watching your thread with interest, Aussielover, and hope that Mindy's operation goes well.

Edited by lilli_star

This is something I've been wondering about too. Ruby (my Labrador puppy) is 5 months old tomorrow, and I was told that desexing her at around 6 months would be the best time. My worry is, what do you do with them after the operation? Ruby is outside during the day while I am at work, but inside at night. Do you mean crate them for the whole 10 days, Nekhbet?

I'll be watching your thread with interest, Aussielover, and hope that Mindy's operation goes well.

I'm interested in this as well. We're going to take a few days off when our girl gets desexed, but can't stay home the whole 10 days. She can be crated for a few hours but not 9 hours while we're at work. She loves to run and jump and doesn't need any encouragement to do so for no apparent reason :rofl:

With Emmy... there was no rest period! Tried for 5 minutes and gave up. Just made sure she didn't get her stitches wet or dirty.. other from that, there was no rest.

This. They don't do anything that will hurt themselves.

You could hire my husband! :) He was very good at following Genevieve around, making sure she didn't jump, stretch, lick, scratch or anything else that may have REMOTELY caused injury! If she was lying still he wanted to move her!!!!!

With Emmy... there was no rest period! Tried for 5 minutes and gave up. Just made sure she didn't get her stitches wet or dirty.. other from that, there was no rest.

This. They don't do anything that will hurt themselves.

You could hire my husband! :swear: He was very good at following Genevieve around, making sure she didn't jump, stretch, lick, scratch or anything else that may have REMOTELY caused injury! If she was lying still he wanted to move her!!!!!

Maybe sensible cavs wouldn't, but crazy lab puppies sure do REALLY stupid things that definitely do hurt them (like running over oyster covered rocks).

I have absolutely no faith in Mindy stoppping when she has had enough or is sore.

I will prepare myself for 10 days of hell :)

She can come to uni with me, she is quite calm there, she knows when shes under my desk she must sit down and be quiet (usually that means sleep).

My girl was sleepy the first night and a little bit the next but I crated her the first 2 days with really short training sessions only. After that, we did short on leash walks for the next 8 days and then back to normal. She is very high energy but we coped....just! LOL

If you have other dogs separate them from them to discourage zoomies and play. As for being at work, if you can leave them in a laundry or alone in a backyard where they cant injure themselves, fence run or get wet (tip out any pools) then leave them out there.

My full on BC puppy was spayed couple of months ago at 12 months. Because our oldest girl is a chronic stitch puller outer this was my main concern with the pup! First few days she was in her crate if unsupervised (at night) and other than that she had either me or my husband with her. For ten days she stayed on the property, the vet said okay to do "short onlead walks" but really, why bother? I kept her separate from the other dogs as they play a lot. She is always pretty quiet in the house so she didn't get too bored or annoying. She was never interested in her stitches so I didn't have to cone head her. It was in other words much easier than I had imagined!

Glad you posted this topic aussielover, Link got spayed yesterday and when we got her home she was very groggy, staring into space and very sleepy, this morning was a whole different story she was starving and had a lot more energy but definetly not ready for play, she tried to jump which was followed by a yelp. i built her a ramp to the couch to stop her jumping and have discouraged active play. having to watch her like a hawk though cause she occasionally tries to lick her wound.