Another Dog Park Question

aussielover

We visited our regular dog park this morning at off-peak time and there was this guy with a dog, he was throwing the ball to it. As we approached the general area he was in, he called out and said: you'd better keep your dog away from mine or it'll rip his head off :)

So i called my dog away and quickly walked off in another direction and played in another area of the park.

So my question is:should i report this?

The dog didn't have a chance to act aggressively to mine (we didn't get close enough), and it was not like it ran over an started attacking her. I think it would have only reacted if we had come very close to it eg. sniffing distance. However, the dog was off leash and obviously had a known dog aggression problem. It seemed to be fairly under control, in the fact it didn't run over towards us. And the park is large enough for dogs to play separately if necessary.

I do feel it should not have been offlead though, what if a dog HAD run up to it? Or he at least should have put it onlead when he saw us coming. But no, he just contiued to throw the ball.

I don't know whether I am mad becuase the guy was so rude and careless and just expected us to get out of his way. I'm not sure i would feel so angry if he had just said "excuse me but would you mind keeping your dog away as my dog doesn't like/is not comfortable with other dogs coming up close to him". If he had said that I would have been more understanding having had a dog before that didn't like other dogs getting up in her face.

What do people think? Should I bother reporting this or just let it go?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.. he warned you - no one was attacked, and I guess he is entitled to take his dog to the park too ? :wave: I don't see anything to report, sorry.

I don't think people with aggressive dogs have are entiltled have their dog offleash in public, even if it is an offleash park. Perhaps while there is no one around, but certainly not in the presence of potential victims...

Though obviously, I can't prove his dog was aggressive as there way no way we were going to get close enough to find out.

I do think it is just a disaster waiting to happen as he clearly had no intention of ensuring the safety of others (that is if the dogs IS actually aggressive). There are not many dogs with perfect recall, and i have to say that a lot of the dogs that do go to this park have very little recall.

When we did go to a separate area, an 8-10 week old cocker puppy rushed up to my dog and would not return to the owner. The owner started walking off and I actually thought for a minute there that they were going to leave me with the puppy!!! :)

I had to warn them not to go near the aggressive dog because i am sure that would have ended badly :D

Oh well, I guess I can't really do anything, which is a bit frustrating.

.. he warned you - no one was attacked, and I guess he is entitled to take his dog to the park too ? :wave: I don't see anything to report, sorry.

I don't think people with aggressive dogs have are entiltled have their dog offleash in public, even if it is an offleash park. Perhaps while there is no one around, but certainly not in the presence of potential victims...

Though obviously, I can't prove his dog was aggressive as there way no way we were going to get close enough to find out.

I do think it is just a disaster waiting to happen as he clearly had no intention of ensuring the safety of others (that is if the dogs IS actually aggressive). There are not many dogs with perfect recall, and i have to say that a lot of the dogs that do go to this park have very little recall.

When we did go to a separate area, an 8-10 week old cocker puppy rushed up to my dog and would not return to the owner. The owner started walking off and I actually thought for a minute there that they were going to leave me with the puppy!!! :)

I had to warn them not to go near the aggressive dog because i am sure that would have ended badly :D

Oh well, I guess I can't really do anything, which is a bit frustrating.

It is a sad world when people have to revert to a violent intention.

I would have taken offence is someone told me he may rip my dogs head off!

Way over the top if you ask me.

We seem to have to put up with threats in our world too often, as others said what is there to report, gone are the days people can be reported for bad language and offensive behaviour.

It shouldn't make us immune though, so I don't blame you for being shocked, decent people should be.

Edited by dollygirl

I vote for Let it Go. He called out to you to keep away. People with DA dogs need to exercise them, too. Owner may have been rude and was trying to have private use of a public space, but I can't see that he was being irresponsible. There is no temperament test required to use the dog park. (for dog or owner)

Edited by Aussienot

I actually WOULD say something. The others are right, he hasn't technically done anything wrong yet. But if his dog is that aggressive, then there is every chance that there may be an issue in the future. I think it would certainly help the case of someone whose dog might one day get attacked by his, if he has previously acknowledged that his dog is violent.

Well I guess I should be glad he actually let me know the dog was aggressive (even if it was in a rude way), though i do not let my dog approach strange dogs without checking with the owner first.

I will let as many people know as possible but the rangers can't actually do anything unless an incident has occured i think?

I didn't actually want to say anything back to him at the time in case he got angry and set his dog on mine or something (maybe i'm just paranoid).

It is only if a dog has been declared dangerous that any restrictions apply right?

omg whats wrong with you people :) I think it was just luck that no one or another dog didnt get attacked.. If this dog is prone to aggression then by law they have to be kept it on a leash with a nozzle over its nose... If the dog has not yet attacked another dog or person then i guess no you cant do anything about it.

Exaggeration is a distinct possibilty .

he may have been enjoying the peace & quiet ..and wanted people to stay away?

obviously had a known dog aggression problem.

uh, huh. :wave: I have been know to say a similar thing to this owner when I saw kids/dogs come to 'my spot ' in a park . I was having a nice peaceful time and wanted it to stay that way . No- My dog would not have attacked .Probably not a nice thing to do- but :)

His dog may well be a killer .. but we do not know. I am all for reporting aggressive dogs who attack. ..and their irresponsible owners but... unless you saw the dog with hackles up, or growling/baring teeth or approaching your dog with intent how have you anything factual to report?

So in theory, if he had warned me but i either didn't listen and/or had no control over my own dog/ dog decided not to listen to me that one time, and the dog attacked, in the eyes of the law who would be at fault? would the dog be declared dangerous?

Because technically we would both be in the wrong

- he is exercising a known aggressive dog in a public area

- If your dog attacks another dog or person, it can hardly be considered under control

- I did not have full control of my dog

Edited by aussielover

omg whats wrong with you people :) I think it was just luck that no one or another dog didnt get attacked.. If this dog is prone to aggression then by law they have to be kept it on a leash with a nozzle over its nose... If the dog has not yet attacked another dog or person then i guess no you cant do anything about it.

I think you mean "muzzle".

And you're wrong. A dog has to be a declared dangerous dog before its required to be muzzled in public. You usually don't get those declarations unless the dog has actually injured another dog or person.

Many many dogs will react aggressively to an intrusion by a strange dog in their face. That doesn't usually result in more than noise and snapping. This dog might not ever have bitten another dog nor be likely to. Perhaps its owner was sick of the "my dog only wants to say hi" brigade that think every dog in a dog park wants to meet theirs.

Edited by poodlefan

If the dog is suspect, should you not keep it on a lead?

I think this person is a thug and maybe loves the idea of having an aggressive dog.

Maybe the owner is the reason why the dog may be a problem. I think his reaction to you is threatening.

My dog was aggressively "warned off" by another dog because he got within 2 metres of that dog's ball (which it wasn't actively chasing at the time). At no time did my dog approach the other dog (he didn't want to say "hi"!), nor did he show any interest in the ball.

I think it's irresponsible to take a dog to an off-leash park where there are other dogs when you know there could be issues - it's an imperfect world, things could go pear-shaped very quickly.

My dog was aggressively "warned off" by another dog because he got within 2 metres of that dog's ball (which it wasn't actively chasing at the time). At no time did my dog approach the other dog (he didn't want to say "hi"!), nor did he show any interest in the ball.

I think it's irresponsible to take a dog to an off-leash park where there are other dogs when you know there could be issues - it's an imperfect world, things could go pear-shaped very quickly.

There can ALWAYS be issues in dog parks - most of them created by other users failure to exercise any form of effective control their dogs. :)

My personal belief is that high value things like food or toys shouldn't be used in dog parks when their are other dogs around.

So in theory, if he had warned me but i either didn't listen and/or had no control over my own dog/ dog decided not to listen to me that one time, and the dog attacked, in the eyes of the law who would be at fault? would the dog be declared dangerous?

Because technically we would both be in the wrong

- he is exercising a known aggressive dog in a public area

- If your dog attacks another dog or person, it can hardly be considered under control

- I did not have full control of my dog

No it wouldnt be your fault if you somehow you couldnt control your dog and it runs up to the aggressive dog.. there is NO WAY it would be your fault and if a dog was declared dangerous then the owner shoulnt take it to an off leash area.. I think its darn rude and he is just waiting for an accident to happen.. These people have no brains

Edited by chellz