Anyone Interested

Nekhbet

yup I'm a chick and I hunt :o Deer, fish, rabbits etc I have a little more free time then the OH and so I use it to fill the freezer with FREE meat. I dont see anything wrong with that

Polecatty do you breed ferrets too? We're always looking for new blood. OH wants to open a working ferret registry and start DNA profiling ferrets, as well as start a pedigree book for them so we dont lose the blood.

as for excitement biting ... our little female chased me down a paddock because I had some blood on my pants ... not funny really ;) They're itching to go, last night one of hte twins latched onto my forearm clung on for dear life because I was using charlie carp on my vege seedlings the little turd. Nice marks today only one tooth broke the skin :D

Hi Nekhbet, I haven't had any litters, but I have finally found a male who works to my standard. He has two seasons under his belt and is the best I have seen in nine years...in two years time I will know if my young female is a good enough worker and if so... :)

The idea of a registry and book is an interesting one, and something I would like to hear more about.

It is very exciting, isn't it? ;) Mine turn into whirling dervishes the second they see their carry box.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to come as I am a very keen ferreter but unfortunately I am a little too far away. I do a fair bit of ferreting but have finished up for the year now- as soon as I see a snake I pack it in. I would hate to lose a ferret. Hope you get a few bunnies and don't forget to throw up a few pics on here after your trip. Would love to see them. ;)

Poodlefan, a good dog can be worth it's weight in gold to a ferreter. A good dog will mark warrens [so you don't mess about with the ones that are empty], will hold rabbits in the net so they don't wriggle free and can pick up bolters that slip nets or come out of well concealed holes. A dog isn't necessary but a good one is very, very useful. Sighthounds are great and I've heard of collies being handy as well. Stangest dog I've ever seen helping out with ferreting was a great dane. :D

Moselle...are you also barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen? ;) Because that is similar to your line of thought. Hunting is not a man's job. Hunting is for whoever can do it effectively, be they male or female. Nor do dogs 'tear' the rabbits apart- in fact many rabbiters teach their dogs to retrieve rabbits live to hand without a mark on them. Will ferreting teach kids to be brainier? Who knows. It will teach them to evaluate and analyse situations carefully, however. Ferreting is not just sticking a ferret down a hole and hoping for the best. Not if you do it properly, anyway. Will it desensitise kids? No more than buying plastic wrapped steaks off the shelf in the supermarket will. It may enhance their understanding of reality, but 'reality' and 'desensitisation' are two different things.

No I do have a career, lol. Okay so you've explained that dogs don't tear rabbits apart....don't know the story on that one but I'll take your word for it. What I do know is that dogs are in fact often used to tear other animals apart as part of a hunting expedition (namely pigs amongst other animals). I won't make apologies for the fact that I find that totally despicable, wild animals or not.....we humans should exercise a little respect in not wanting to put a prey animal through agonizing pain. I disagree in your thinking that ferreting will teach kids to "evaluate and analyze situations carefully." And it does serve to desensitise kids and cannot be compared to purchasing meat off the shelf at the local supermarket.....there is no killing involved in purchasing ready steak in comparison to going hunting!

Dogs damaging rabbits is very undesireable as it can ruin them too much to be used for the table or even as dog/ferret food, in some cases. I also haven't heard of many pig dogs that 'tear' up the pig...their job is to grab an ear and hold on tight! To do anything else would be to hinder the hunt. Grabbing an ear may not be nice, but it is surely no worse than the procedures performed on livestock everyday without pain relief. Tail docking, castration, branding, mulesing...all of these are performed whilst the animal is fully aware. And unlike the pig they are not put out of their misery soon afterwards.

Well, I can't speak for all children but it certainly had a positive impact upon me as a child, and did enhance the two aforementioned traits greatly, amongst others. Nor has it desensitised me... once I began to catch some of my own food I became hyper-aware of everything else I put in my mouth and the processes behind it. It made me a much more discerning individual than I may have been otherwise.

Whether you like it or not, you are killing something everytime you purchase meat from the supermarket. Aliken it to purchasing puppies from petshops; you may not see it happen, but it surely does happen and you promote it with your dollars. I'm not saying that the livestock industry is bad, as I promote it with my dollars as well. But to condemn hunting whilst promoting death and certain degrees of inevitable suffering in the livestock industry at the same time? That doesn't compute, for me.

Want to come to WA??? We have plague proportion rabbits at our place atm ;) Big fat ones too :) Am about to move horses to a new paddock but will have to spend a couple of hours walking it find and fill in bunny holes first!

Mirawee- where abouts are you, may be able to help with the rabbits if you like depending on where you are. Ferreting most days just not in that area

We are in Gidgegannup :o We definitely don't put baits down and I am fairly sure the neighbours don't either (I would check first). I wouldn't want a bunny to die from poisoning plus there is the risk the dogs would get it and we are too big a softies to do it ourselves (plus wouldn't be confident doing it quickly enough for a humane death) We also have plague proportion kangaroos for the same reason but at least they don't dig holes that can potentially break my horses' legs when they are playing in the paddock :D

It isn't a good season for feed for my ponies but the rabbits and kangaroos certainly appreciate the pasture we put in this year ;)

PMSL still at moselle, so funny. You ended a friendship because your friend killed a duck for eating? WTF are you like. You can't have a friend who has a different view to you? You do know that we, humans, are hunters eh? Naturally. It's not something that was originally fun, it was for survival.

I dont think hunting would make my child "brainier", thats ridiculous. However, it would teach her about "nature". Hunting is perfectly natural to alot of species including our own. It might also impart some practical survival skills which could come in handy one day.

I have no problems with hunting as long as the kill is as quick and as painless as possible. I am a big animal lover and I dont like to see any animal suffering (to the point that even though we were infested with mice and they were crawling all over our benches and shitting everywhere, I still felt bloody awful when I finally trapped one and it died)

That's ok though, you go on thinking that meat magically appears in the supermarket without any animals being harmed.

EDIT: to remove a comment that may have been a bit inappropriate (geez, that is what age is about eh...actually realising when you spew forth everything you think of it may not always be the "decent" thing to say - unless oyu are a man of course bwhahahahaahah)

Edited by lanabanana

PMSL still at moselle, so funny. You ended a friendship because your friend killed a duck for eating? WTF are you like. You can't have a friend who has a different view to you? You do know that we, humans, are hunters eh? Naturally. It's not something that was originally fun, it was for survival.

I dont think hunting would make my child "brainier", thats ridiculous. However, it would teach her about "nature". Hunting is perfectly natural to alot of species including our own. It might also impart some practical survival skills which could come in handy one day.

I have no problems with hunting as long as the kill is as quick and as painless as possible. I am a big animal lover and I dont like to see any animal suffering (to the point that even though we were infested with mice and they were crawling all over our benches and shitting everywhere, I still felt bloody awful when I finally trapped one and it died)

That's ok though, you go on thinking that meat magically appears in the supermarket without any animals being harmed.

EDIT: to remove a comment that may have been a bit inappropriate (geez, that is what age is about eh...actually realising when you spew forth everything you think of it may not always be the "decent" thing to say - unless oyu are a man of course bwhahahahaahah)

:) was the words u needed "politicaly correct" :thumbsup:

yes i had the same thought, poor moselle's ex friend couldnt have an opinion of her own.

wonder what moselle would think if her friend had decided to drop her like a hot potato because she didnt have "pet" lunch ingredients?

thats what worries me about the peta brigade, not content to have their own opinon and leave it at that. want to force their beliefs down others throats even to the extent of pushing it to become law?

dont have to look far to the the rammifications of misplaced legislation, the greenies got it so that rural fire brigades couldnt do backburns for decades and hundreds of lives lost as a result. n thats without counting the tens of thousands of wildlife lives n homes gone to dust.

cold burns dont do that.

yes our animals and plants evolved to cope with fire, but cold fires not the holocausts they now face instead.

I did once have a "friend" for a short duration of time until I found out that she did kill her own meat namely her "pet" ducks and I wasn't impressed, needless to say the friendship was ended rather swiftly once she made the mistake of telling me.

God forbid we should actually cause the deaths of the animals we eat.

Perhaps if more folk killed their own, there'd by less abuse of animals in intensive farming situations.

The more people connnect with the animals they farm, the less likely they are to abuse them IMO.

Yes, I 100% agree.

IMO hunting or homekill is usually much more humane than most commerically farmed meats or dairy products. Farms have only gotten away with battery hen farming, dry sow stalls, dairy inductions, etc, since people like turn their heads and pretend these things are not happening.

I do have a large network of friends, lanabanana.....they don't all share my opinion on all things and I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I have two "pet" hates and one is animal cruelty.....I know we could discuss this till the "cows" come home but the fact remains that I cannot get my head around women who hunt, it simply does not agree with me. Yes, I did end a friendship based on the fact that she ended up chopping her pet duck's necks.....there was no indication that she was that way inclined and made out like she wouldn't hurt a fly, little did I know. That was just the straw that broke the camel's back, there were other issues pertaining to the way she kept her animals and lack of responsibility towards them, not desexing them.....allowing them to breed indiscriminately, not able to contain them, etc etc etc.

I had a chuckle at your last comment, :thumbsup: . I am certainly not advocating that a woman be seen and not heard, far from it as I can be very opinionated (as you may have already gathered, lol).....oh, and women have just as much right to swear as any man, lol.....when necessary, lol.

My issue is.....how can one be certain that animals killed in their backyard are killed humanely? surely there are individuals out there that have no idea on how to conduct such an act as painlessly as is possible????

:) was the words u needed "politicaly correct" :thumbsup:

yes i had the same thought, poor moselle's ex friend couldnt have an opinion of her own.

wonder what moselle would think if her friend had decided to drop her like a hot potato because she didnt have "pet" lunch ingredients?

thats what worries me about the peta brigade, not content to have their own opinon and leave it at that. want to force their beliefs down others throats even to the extent of pushing it to become law?

dont have to look far to the the rammifications of misplaced legislation, the greenies got it so that rural fire brigades couldnt do backburns for decades and hundreds of lives lost as a result. n thats without counting the tens of thousands of wildlife lives n homes gone to dust.

cold burns dont do that.

yes our animals and plants evolved to cope with fire, but cold fires not the holocausts they now face instead.

If my friend decided to drop me like a "hot potato"......well, what can I say? that would be her prerogative. To each their own, don't you think? :laugh:

My issue is.....how can one be certain that animals killed in their backyard are killed humanely? surely there are individuals out there that have no idea on how to conduct such an act as painlessly as is possible????

That's a reasonable question - but, the problem is, how are you sure the meat & milk you buy at the supermarket are from animals who are kept & killed humanely? I've worked on several farms, visited many more, and I can tell you that some nasty things go on in the livestock industry. And it's not just on bad farms - many nasty farming practices are legally permitted.

Dairy cow inductions, with the premature babies left to gasp and die in the fields. Bobby calves sitting for hours in boxes by the roadside. Castration without anesthetic (would you do that to a puppy?) Calf debudding without anaesthetic. Battery hen cages. Sow stalls. Organic farms that turn down antibiotics or epidurals for their suffering cows because the withholding period is too long to be economic. Pigs killed by "blunt trauma". Kosher killing, where the cow has its throat cut when it is fully conscious.

Are these things "worse" than hunting? They all occur daily on commercial farms and slaughterhouses, with full legal sanction. You're supporting them with your money when you buy meat or milk at the supermarket.

Plus, there are the things that aren't really supposed to go on but that we've all seen happen on bad farms. Dairy cows getting their tails broken for being "naughty" in the shed. Cows getting their pelvises broken from inside when the farmer decides to try to pull a stuck calf out with a tractor because he doesn't want to pay the vet. etc, etc.

At least if you grow or kill your own meat, you know you have done it humanely. If you rely on strangers to grow and kill your meat, you have no idea how kindly they treated it.

Im guessing because they are present :thumbsup:

You make some very broad assumptions about people. Honestly if you were that against animal cruelty you would not buy supermarket meat, eggs from a supermarket or indeed eat meat or animal produce of any kind nor wear or own anything made of leather or animals by products.

My freezer is full of home killed meat, i find it incredibly sad when i take the animal to be humanely killed and butchered however i know its had a great life living in its natural environment and the end is swift and humane. Compare that to the ongoing and extended torture of commercially farmed animals and i know which life id choose if i were an animal destined for the kill. By your logic its fine so long as you dont have to witness it and can pick it up in a nicely wrapped package innocent of the suffering it has incurred .... oh and as long as a woman was not involved?

Does your logic then extend to women who work in abattoirs? In this town, i know of several single mums who work in the abattoir, living in a rural area yourself you would know how limited employment opportunities can be, should they quit their jobs and loose their only form of income because its not womens work?

So in your rural area what happens if one day you hit some form of wildlife? Will you leave it to die in agony or would you put it out of its misery?

I would love to come as I am a very keen ferreter but unfortunately I am a little too far away. I do a fair bit of ferreting but have finished up for the year now- as soon as I see a snake I pack it in. I would hate to lose a ferret. Hope you get a few bunnies and don't forget to throw up a few pics on here after your trip. Would love to see them. :)

Poodlefan, a good dog can be worth it's weight in gold to a ferreter. A good dog will mark warrens [so you don't mess about with the ones that are empty], will hold rabbits in the net so they don't wriggle free and can pick up bolters that slip nets or come out of well concealed holes. A dog isn't necessary but a good one is very, very useful. Sighthounds are great and I've heard of collies being handy as well. Stangest dog I've ever seen helping out with ferreting was a great dane. :thumbsup:

Moselle...are you also barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen? :laugh: Because that is similar to your line of thought. Hunting is not a man's job. Hunting is for whoever can do it effectively, be they male or female. Nor do dogs 'tear' the rabbits apart- in fact many rabbiters teach their dogs to retrieve rabbits live to hand without a mark on them. Will ferreting teach kids to be brainier? Who knows. It will teach them to evaluate and analyse situations carefully, however. Ferreting is not just sticking a ferret down a hole and hoping for the best. Not if you do it properly, anyway. Will it desensitise kids? No more than buying plastic wrapped steaks off the shelf in the supermarket will. It may enhance their understanding of reality, but 'reality' and 'desensitisation' are two different things.

No I do have a career, lol. Okay so you've explained that dogs don't tear rabbits apart....don't know the story on that one but I'll take your word for it. What I do know is that dogs are in fact often used to tear other animals apart as part of a hunting expedition (namely pigs amongst other animals). I won't make apologies for the fact that I find that totally despicable, wild animals or not.....we humans should exercise a little respect in not wanting to put a prey animal through agonizing pain. I disagree in your thinking that ferreting will teach kids to "evaluate and analyze situations carefully." And it does serve to desensitise kids and cannot be compared to purchasing meat off the shelf at the local supermarket.....there is no killing involved in purchasing ready steak in comparison to going hunting!

Dogs damaging rabbits is very undesireable as it can ruin them too much to be used for the table or even as dog/ferret food, in some cases. I also haven't heard of many pig dogs that 'tear' up the pig...their job is to grab an ear and hold on tight! To do anything else would be to hinder the hunt. Grabbing an ear may not be nice, but it is surely no worse than the procedures performed on livestock everyday without pain relief. Tail docking, castration, branding, mulesing...all of these are performed whilst the animal is fully aware. And unlike the pig they are not put out of their misery soon afterwards.

Well, I can't speak for all children but it certainly had a positive impact upon me as a child, and did enhance the two aforementioned traits greatly, amongst others. Nor has it desensitised me... once I began to catch some of my own food I became hyper-aware of everything else I put in my mouth and the processes behind it. It made me a much more discerning individual than I may have been otherwise.

Whether you like it or not, you are killing something everytime you purchase meat from the supermarket. Aliken it to purchasing puppies from petshops; you may not see it happen, but it surely does happen and you promote it with your dollars. I'm not saying that the livestock industry is bad, as I promote it with my dollars as well. But to condemn hunting whilst promoting death and certain degrees of inevitable suffering in the livestock industry at the same time? That doesn't compute, for me.

I bet to differ in that wild pigs are only grabbed by the ears....I have seen video footage that would dictate the contrary, it was horrific. The poor animal would be set upon by a fair few dogs and they would each grab the pig wherever they could and it wasn't always by the ears, the end result was the pig screaching in agony and blood dripping everywhere. I realise that the livestock industry has its share of discomfort and/or cruelty and for as long as members of society turn a blind eye to it it will continue! I cannot see any changes taking place, tragically! Simply because this is the case does not justify other acts taking place especially in the backyard! I would be happy if people were not longer allowed to kill their own meat but having said that I realise that it would be impossible to police this. I find it difficult to convince myself that people who kill their own meat can do so humanely. As for the greyhound industry....well, that is another story but I would be celebrating the day that greyhound racing ceases to exist....

there is no killing involved in purchasing ready steak in comparison to going hunting!

:):laugh::laugh: What a great saturday morning read.

Have fun, Nek. make sure to take piccies of the ferrets doing what they're designed for :thumbsup:

I realise that the livestock industry has its share of discomfort and/or cruelty and for as long as members of society turn a blind eye to it it will continue! I cannot see any changes taking place, tragically!

No it wont change any time soon because people continue to support it by forking out $$ at the supermarket so that their conscious is clear or because they have no alternative.

Simply because this is the case does not justify other acts taking place especially in the backyard! I would be happy if people were not longer allowed to kill their own meat but having said that I realise that it would be impossible to police this. I find it difficult to convince myself that people who kill their own meat can do so humanely.

:thumbsup: So you would see the farmer who farms his own beast have to buy and support the commercial industry because you are uninformed about the process. You find it difficult to believe because once again you are uniformed and make assumptions. No it is not pretty, yes it is very confronting however it is quick as apose to the process commercial animals go through. You base your research on Videos you have seen if this is where you source you facts from why dont you watch some videos on pig farming, feedlots and how they treats "downed cows".

I do have a large network of friends, lanabanana.....they don't all share my opinion on all things and I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I have two "pet" hates and one is animal cruelty.....I know we could discuss this till the "cows" come home but the fact remains that I cannot get my head around women who hunt, it simply does not agree with me. Yes, I did end a friendship based on the fact that she ended up chopping her pet duck's necks.....there was no indication that she was that way inclined and made out like she wouldn't hurt a fly, little did I know. That was just the straw that broke the camel's back, there were other issues pertaining to the way she kept her animals and lack of responsibility towards them, not desexing them.....allowing them to breed indiscriminately, not able to contain them, etc etc etc.

I had a chuckle at your last comment, :thumbsup: . I am certainly not advocating that a woman be seen and not heard, far from it as I can be very opinionated (as you may have already gathered, lol).....oh, and women have just as much right to swear as any man, lol.....when necessary, lol.

a memory that forever sticks in my mind was uncle brought home some chooks for christmas dinner. n had the hide to expect my mum to do the deed?

she flatly refused. his brothers flatly refused.. so he either had too or they stayed, n being all roosters. that wasnt a potentially great idea.

so he bit the bullet. tied up ones legs. laid him on the chopping block they used for splitting the firewood and went wham.

lopped the head off completly in on stroke.

only problem was hadnt tied the legs too well.

chookie gave kick. string fell off and up jumped chooki,,, ran madly (remember he was headless) straight at, and after (yep uncle was running for his life by now) down the drive and out of sight before it finally dropped ... donk dead...

gather uncle had nightmares for weeks.

the rest dissappeared, i suspect back to the seller :)

Im guessing because they are present :thumbsup:

You make some very broad assumptions about people. Honestly if you were that against animal cruelty you would not buy supermarket meat, eggs from a supermarket or indeed eat meat or animal produce of any kind nor wear or own anything made of leather or animals by products.

My freezer is full of home killed meat, i find it incredibly sad when i take the animal to be humanely killed and butchered however i know its had a great life living in its natural environment and the end is swift and humane. Compare that to the ongoing and extended torture of commercially farmed animals and i know which life id choose if i were an animal destined for the kill. By your logic its fine so long as you dont have to witness it and can pick it up in a nicely wrapped package innocent of the suffering it has incurred .... oh and as long as a woman was not involved?

Does your logic then extend to women who work in abattoirs? In this town, i know of several single mums who work in the abattoir, living in a rural area yourself you would know how limited employment opportunities can be, should they quit their jobs and loose their only form of income because its not womens work?

So in your rural area what happens if one day you hit some form of wildlife? Will you leave it to die in agony or would you put it out of its misery?

yes all good points.

i know, there is an amazing difference in the meat of an animal that never saw a saleyard n then onto the slaugher house.

there has to be a reason for that.

from paddock to kill is the best way i think, fraction of the stress. in the paddock n never knew what hit it , even better.

I realise that the livestock industry has its share of discomfort and/or cruelty and for as long as members of society turn a blind eye to it it will continue! I cannot see any changes taking place, tragically!

No it wont change any time soon because people continue to support it by forking out $$ at the supermarket so that their conscious is clear or because they have no alternative.

Yes, you are right.

Homekill and hunting are generally much kinder than what goes on on many commercial farms and slaughterhouses.

I do not understand people who purchase supermarket meat but get upset at hunting or homekill. Just because you pay someone else to do your dirty work for you, doesn't mean the animal's suffering doesn't occur. All I can imagine is that anyone who eats commercial meat but hates homekill or hunting, must just not have firsthand experience of these things in order to compare them.

Edited by Staranais

Ummm...Why ban Greyhound Racing?

Some of the industry practises suck, for sure. And it needs a good clean up, but does that mean ban it?

Really sick of this "ban everything because we don't like one or two elements" attitude.

And I'm still trying to fathom someone who eats meat but is opposed to the killing of it. :thumbsup:

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the discussion. :)

Given the choice I would gladly take home killed or hunted meat in preference to abbattior slaughtered. When I say hunted (deer or roo) I have in mind shot while it's grazing or resting, at least not aware it's in the sights of a gun. Just alive one second dead the next. Much more appealing than a poor cow trucked to the slaughter yards and killed while its mates look on. As I understand it animals are stunned and then bled out while their hearts are still beating. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Kirislin