We Have Started Bike Riding With Our Dogs

lanabanana

Some people might think this is bad for dogs, but meh.

A couple of weeks ago we decided to go for a family bike ride one night after work and thought it might be fun to take the dogs.

The OH takes the big dog (Barney - 40kgs) on his bike (he has a proper adult bike) and he takes the lead. The behind him follows our daughter with no dog. Bringing up the rear is me and my little Pippi (6kgs).

It's a little embarrasing for me if we bike past people as I have to ride my daughters other bike, yep a kids bike so my knees almost come up to my chest as I cycle but its probably best as Pippi is so small it would be hard with an adult bike.

Anyway, we bike off down our street and then into a greenbelt which has cycle paths.

I was a bit concerned taking Pippi out to do this as she is just little so the first time I tried to take it very slow for her. Well, little Miss bossy britches isn't having nay of that and if I don't bike fast enough for her, she starts pulling me!!!!!

This little tiny dog will race ahead and start pulling me on my bike. The first time she did it, I was in hysterics and actually couldn't peddle because I was laughing so hard that my legs went all kind of weak and there we were just flying down the path faster than I could even bike (I am very unfit). She wears a harness so no need to worry she is choking or anything.

Anyway, now I have to bike really fast to stop her from pulling me.

As soon as she sees the bikes now, she starts yelping an dgets really excited.

When we get to the green belt now, I really put the speed on and it is so funny. She puts her little head to the ground and just flies - it's almost like her tummy is on the ground the whole time - and when I slow down she gets all upset.

Last night, the OH took Barney out for a bike ride at about 11pm and we didn't go and my poor girl was so upset. Running to the front door and back yelping because she wanted to go, I felt awful.

If we go for a long ride she gets a bit tired (she only has short legs so its about 3 times as far for her) and we generally end up finishing the ride by ourselves because we just go slow. I am thinking about getting a front pack for her so that when she gets tired, I can slip her in and keep up with the OH and kid - are there any such things or will I have to make one?

Anyway, everytime we go out now I ended up laughing my butt off (dont think itll help with weight loss though) and just wanted to share. Might have to video it one time to show people.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs LOVE going for a run with the bikes. If the little one can keep up and enjoys it, then why not, it's great fun, good exercise and a good bonding experience.

Get a basket for the front of the bike ad plonk her in that if she gets tired.

LMAO, how much of a knob would I look like on a kids bike with a basket or a trailer

I am laughing just picturing myself.

Yea, the wee one loves it and is actually faster than our big dog...she also recovers much quicker than he does too. She stops panting about 2 minutes after we stop whereas Barney is still panting abou half an hour later.

LMAO, how much of a knob would I look like on a kids bike with a basket or a trailer

Yea, the wee one loves it and is actually faster than our big dog...she also recovers much quicker than he does too. She stops panting about 2 minutes after we stop whereas Barney is still panting abou half an hour later.

Well I must have been a right knob years ago when I used to put Muffin (3.5kg Maltese) in a basket on the front of the bike or even in a backpack when we used to take Jasmine (GSD x Collie Rough) for walks. He wanted to go, had a ball but his tiny little legs could only run so far, so in to the basket or backpack he went. His little head would stick out of the backpack and everyone who saw him had to give him a pat, thought it was a hoot but at least he wasn't left behind.

Lizzy (pug) can't keep up with the Rotties so she only goes on the little walks or stays behind.

It was good enough for Dorothy in Wizard of Oz a front basket. From memory she put Toto in that. I think a basket is a great idea!

Not to be a party-pooper :thumbsup: , but I think in some states it's illegal to ride a bike with a dog on a lead...I think this has been discussed on the forum before.....

I know it is against the law in WA, but I don't know in SA.....

ETA: It is illegal in SA.."LEADING AN ANIMAL

You must not lead (on a leash or any other leading device) an

animal from a vehicle, including a bicycle."

Edited by Enigma01au

Not to be a party-pooper :thumbsup: , but I think in some states it's illegal to ride a bike with a dog on a lead...I think this has been discussed on the forum before.....

Oooo I didn't know that.

We are in NSW...but TBH, I am not sure I really care whether it is against the law or not, I would probably still do it anyway.

Luckily though, we go out in the dark so probably don't have to worry.

The darkness hides us so we don't look like a bunch of circus freaks - me on my tiny bike and the OH on his adult bike with a seat that flips up every 5 minutes LMAO

It was good enough for Dorothy in Wizard of Oz a front basket. From memory she put Toto in that. I think a basket is a great idea!

Oh I don't disagree, I just think I would look hilarious on a kids bike with a scruffy wee dog pokng her head out of basket

Yep unfortunately it is illegal in SA as my brother was fined for this earlier this year :eek:

Yep unfortunately it is illegal in SA as my brother was fined for this earlier this year :eek:

OMG he actually got fined?

Just out of curiosity, how much was the fine? Does he still do it?

Yep, but he has a bit of "history" so the police like to pick him up for whatever they can, LOL

I think the fine only ended up being about $25 but we had to contest it becuase they had originally fined him $250 :eek: The officer was reported and was giving a warning :)

eta - No he doesn't do it anymore

Edited by Jodi1981

Yep, but he has a bit of "history" so the police like to pick him up for whatever they can, LOL

I think the fine only ended up being about $25 but we had to contest it becuase they had originally fined him $250 :eek: The officer was reported and was giving a warning :)

eta - No he doesn't do it anymore

Ahh thanks. Yea history may make it more likely to get in trouble (I have a brother with history too).

Hmm May need to do some research just in case...I dont mind breaking that particular law, especially if the fine is small but might just check it up anyway.

We will likely just stick to going at night though when not many people around.

I can't wait til my 4 month old is old enough to keep up with the bike and take them for a run on that. I sincerely hope it's not illegal in QLD, now I'll have to do some research, it's a wonderful way to exercise them I thought.

I also think it will help with my big boy realising he is to be beside, he wants to walk so much faster than what I can do, it's a work in progress training him that he HAS TO STAY BESIDE ME, he's fine when he's stuffed, LOL. We do lots of stopping and turning when we walk so he has to follow me. It's not so much that he is pulling in all directions just wants to go faster. Hence I thought the bike might be just the thing, I used to do it for my aunties dane when I babysat, he loved it.

I have even seen bike lead attachment gizmos for sale..... how can they legally be sold if it's illegal to lead a dog on a bike????

Oh and I vote for the trailer on the back, they are my all time favourite for lil kids and dogs :thumbsup:

OMG, have you seen what those trailers cost!!!

I wanted to get one for my 9yr old Rotty as she can't walk as far as the others. Starting price $450!! Even more when you need one that holds 45kg.

Go the basket!!

When we were kids, my brother had a BC called Peter & I had a Maltese called Pauline. They used to run alongside our bikes. Then my brother read somewhere it was bad for their hearts (wouldn't have been true, but we believed it). So he made 2 wooden carts (just like kid's pull-along carts) and fixed them up to the back of our bikes. Peter & Pauline used to ride like Romans in their chariots & loved it. Pauline used to scream abuse at any dog being walked past on a lead.

It was a bit tough pedalling up hills.