Dogs On Utes

Lucy's mama

I was just reading the other thread where people were saying they hate seeing dogs on utes. I am about to buy a ute specifically to make it easier and more convenient to take the dog out. We are 20 minutes out of town. If I want to take the dog to the park and then pick up a few things at the supermarket I can't do it in one trip, I have to drop the dog home then go back out. Likewise, If I want to take him to the dog beach then the kids to the people beach I have to do two 90 minute round trips. (The people beach is only 10 minutes away from the dog one)

When we get the ute it will have a crate and canvass canopy for shelter, and of course he will have a water bucket and maybe a bone or treat toy etc. He would be no worse off for the 20 minutes we are in the shop or hour (Max) we are at the beach than if he had been left on the verandah at home. (I do plan to test what the temperature is like a few times before we actually leave him)

So do you disaprove of dogs on utes fullstop, or do you only disaprove of dogs loose or chained on the back of open utes with no shelter?

I think my plans alright, but wouldn't mind some input before I go spending a large amount of money.

They are subject to the wind, rain, snow and heat if they are not caged properly with shelter.

Then there's the issue of them being tied on, or not tied on at all, I think it's dangerous even on a short tether and if you roll the ute they are buggered.

Strangers think it's ok to pat them and heaven forbid if your dog decides one day that's not on

They can be easily stolen.

They are easy targets for people who want to do something nasty to them

Easy to unclip and set free.

Just be aware that a relatively closed in canvas shelter may get VERY hot .

our dogs, being workers(sheepdogs) spend a lot of hours on the back of the 4WD!! They are chained on short, well swivelled chains ..and there are often 6 of them . They have either wool or matting on which to stand ..and a shade cloth canopy in Summer.

I hate seeing dogs on bare metal trays... on chains long enough to slip over the edge.. and in vehicles parked in the sun :(:laugh:

We have only ever had one mishap/injury in many many years .. ,about 35 years ago,something came undone ..and it ended very badly, with a dog dying.

ETA we never take our dogs to town like that , so there are no problems associated with traffic/the public.

Edited by persephone

They are subject to the wind, rain, snow and heat if they are not caged properly with shelter.

Then there's the issue of them being tied on, or not tied on at all, I think it's dangerous even on a short tether and if you roll the ute they are buggered.

Strangers think it's ok to pat them and heaven forbid if your dog decides one day that's not on

So for you RSG, is it about how they are contained on the ute? Would you be fine with it if they were crated with adequate shelter and water or do you think dogs should not be on utes at all??

Just be aware that a relatively closed in canvas shelter may get VERY hot

Yes, of course I'm sure it would be no different than a person in a closed tent in the middle of the day. It would need to be open on the non-sunny sides, or partly rolled up on all side etc.

I think a lot of people disprove as they have seen all to many times before these "city cowboys" who throw their dogs in the back of the ute got all the big roll bars and banks of spotties and the staffy or some other type of pig dog breed on the back you know doubt seen the type of peanuts im referrin to as in the ones that live 1km from the GPO in the city, it's these clowns that lose dogs off the back of their vehicles on a regular basis and because of them it is now law that dogs be tied in the back of utes.

My Kelpie was brought up travelin around in the back of a ute and like the majority of dogs loved the car it's a pack thing with them goin out in the car i can still see her now in the rear view mirror watchin the road ahead and anticipating the next corner with her little lean, anyway i think dogs on the back of the ute is an iconic thing attached to Australia as long as the dog is secured in the back (mine never was and only come out once in a near accident) i would go for it and get ya ute they are the only vehicle i own, just make sure when ya pull up somewhere it is in the shade and supply water like ya said all the common sense things and remember on a hot day the bed in the ute is gunna be real hot so i think ya have it all nutted out with the "crate and canvass canopy for shelter" get ya ute and im sure you and ya dog will love it as it is far more practical than jammin em in a car!!

Just seen in a post above "and if you roll the ute they are buggered" dead right as i was gunna mention that also in this post if it does happen and they are not tied in they can be thrown clear and it is amazin how dogs can survive this sort of thing relatively unharmed i have a few stories on it on my website ya will find link under my profile, be good to see a pic of ya dog sittin on the back of the ute if ya do decide to buy one i am sure ya dog will love it!

Edited by stunshaz

So for you RSG, is it about how they are contained on the ute? Would you be fine with it if they were crated with adequate shelter and water or do you think dogs should not be on utes at all??

For me it's about the containment and the shelter.

I was just reading the other thread where people were saying they hate seeing dogs on utes. I am about to buy a ute specifically to make it easier and more convenient to take the dog out. We are 20 minutes out of town. If I want to take the dog to the park and then pick up a few things at the supermarket I can't do it in one trip, I have to drop the dog home then go back out. Likewise, If I want to take him to the dog beach then the kids to the people beach I have to do two 90 minute round trips. (The people beach is only 10 minutes away from the dog one)

When we get the ute it will have a crate and canvass canopy for shelter, and of course he will have a water bucket and maybe a bone or treat toy etc. He would be no worse off for the 20 minutes we are in the shop or hour (Max) we are at the beach than if he had been left on the verandah at home. (I do plan to test what the temperature is like a few times before we actually leave him)

So do you disaprove of dogs on utes fullstop, or do you only disaprove of dogs loose or chained on the back of open utes with no shelter?

I think my plans alright, but wouldn't mind some input before I go spending a large amount of money.

What RSG said.

If the dog is sheltered, securely contained (crate or enclosure), has water and is not left in hot weather then I see no problem. No different to leaving them in a car really.

Not many owners seem to do that though. Too many dogs on open trays, sliding around, tethers too long, leaning over the side, left out in carpark. I've seen a few tethered by check chains too!

Short trips where the dog is not going to be left alone, some matting for the dog to sit on, plus a harness and short tether is acceptable IMO too (providing the weather is not too hot or wet). As Persephone already said working dogs are a different matter being that they are not being exposed to traffic and the public :confused:

I live in a small farming town, so dogs on the back of utes is a common sight. It makes me so angry to see some farmers, mostly the old die hards with the dog just sitting there, no tether, shelter, water, nothing. But it is nice to see most dogs are tethered, have shelter, mats and water available.

I don't mind in the least if a dog is in the back of a ute, so long as the dog is adequately looked after and is safe from harm. The farmers here only ever bring their dogs into town during a work week, but when it comes to going into the major town or city, the dogs are left at home.

BF

Poor protection from the elements, and as others have said, the metal gets really hot as well. No or insufficient access to water. Usually poorly restrained, but even dogs that are properly tethered aren't going to be well protected at all if you should have an accident. I also don't like that they are not being protected from strangers, and that strangers are not being protected from them.

In my personal opinion, dogs in cars should either be in crates, or restrained by a seatbelt/harness so that they aren't free to move around.

Yes, we lost a beautiful dalmatian (my first one many years ago) because we didn't know any better and had her tied in the back of a truck with another dog. Her tie snapped as we went round a bend and she was catapulted out of the truck into a pole. She died and I was absolutely guilt-ridden and devastated.

Since then I never EVER allow my dogs to travel in the back of a truck or ute or whatever. On one occassion in an emergency I had no choice so I SAT IN THE BACK WITH THEM and held on to their collars - this made certain the driver drove very carefully.

The shelter etc issues are also a concern.

Recently I saw an advertisement in an Australian magazine for a strong cage that's been designed to be retro- fitted against the cabin of utes. Said it was to keep a dog (or a couple of dogs) secure & safe. Wish I could remember what mag it was.

Googling, this custom-made cage was as close as I could find to one I saw in the ad. But it was a bit narrower & could be retrofitted.

http://www.customcages.com.au/

My concern, in Qld, is the heat in summer. If it's too hot for a human to be exposed to the sun on the back of a ute, then it's too hot for a dog. At those times, I'm always pleased to see dogs riding inside the cabin.

But I haven't seen all the ways that dog owners might have set something up to shield their dogs from the full sun.

Edited by mita

If you can imagine Mita's custom dog cage under this type of canopy.

Funny you should say that, LM, because when I saw the mag pic of the fitted cage, I thought, 'All that now needs is some kind of canopy protection from sun & rain!'

Looks like you've already planned the full deal. :cry:

Only other thing I can think of...

If you decide to have a full canopy over the back, maybe then just use a Safe-T-Belt to secure your dog.

(Click on the pic to enlarge).

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1202

But I think I'd feel my dog was more secure in a cage. Lord knows what pressure a belt would take before snapping.

Edited by mita

I disapprove of dogs in the back of utes for the reasons outlined above. I agree with dogs being in the back of utes with a hard canopy though. What gives me the shits is

seeing a dog at the back of a ute parked in full sun on 35+ degree heat and to top it off seeing that the passenger seat could well have accommodated the dog but instead it is thrown at the back like a sack of potatoes. :cry:

I personally don't have an issue with dogs on the back of utes providing they hav plenty of water on warm days - and a bit of shelter from the elements. JUst adding here, probably not a good idea in the city though where there is a lot of traffic

My dogs spend hot days laying in the sun anyway so it's not much different.

Many years ago though we did have an accident. First time ever taking our dog Lennox on the back of a ute and the chain was too long. Anyway, we were pulling up to the beach and the minute he seen the ocean he tried to leap of the truck and he just kind of ended up hanging down slightly behind the passenger door. OH leaned out the window, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and chucked him back on the tray. It was a full on flat deck with no sides or anything.

Anyway, the dog never leapt off again LOL...I know its disturbing but just rmembering the incident I am giggling...I wasnt giggling at the time but he wasnt hurt or anything and he learnt something as did we.

We never used to drive round town with them on the back though - too much traffic.