Not Drinking Enough

~Shepherd~

Was after some info on dogs who don't like to drink much. Would like some info on salt or electrolyte supplements. This dog had a vet test done and was dehydrated even though there is always clean fresh water available. It has been observed that he hardly touches his drink bowl. Urine sample will be taken again in a few months.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Try different water. Mum's old dog will NOT drink out of the 5 different water troughs/bowls outside ..only the one in the kitchen.

Other dogs of ours will not drink fresh water..only that which has sat for a few days.

Interesting, his teeth arent crash hot so perhaps room temp may be better?? Will be forwarding all these points.

Thanks.

One of my mums dogs (border collie x Lab) doesn't drink enough water either. never has. She's about 7 years old now. Mum buys some dog milk and waters it down like you would cordial and gives it to her a few times a day.

this works well for her.

The lectade thing - does that actually increase fluid intake- or purely replace electrolytes? My guess is this dog needs more actual fuid in his body ?

Oh sorry, I don't know - was answering the electrolyte suppliment part of the question

I do what Cowanbree does. The first summer we had my boy we found he wasn't drinking enough so we started mixing water in his food at every meal. He still won't drink enough in summer but it doesn't matter as we can just increase the water in his food if required.

I wonder if its because its uncomfortable drinking, an internal hydration problem or just a bit slow to process the thirst button?

I know my kids get excessive thirst and an overative bladder when they have a reaction to certain food chemicals.

Some years back you could buy flavoured water for your dogs which was really handy if you took them to a show or something - some dogs won't drink water anywhere but at home even if you bring water from home and the same bowl from home, they would rather dehydrate. But they would devour the flavoured stuff.

It came in flavours like, bacon, chicken, lamb etc. I haven't seen it advertised for a long time, though. :rofl:

Other posters have advocated flavouring the water in various ways - with milk, with honey, etc. so why not add broth to your flavouring arsenal as well? You would really only need a tablespoonful in a litre of water. It would need to be unsalted broth though or you will do more damage than good hydration wise!

I have a similar problem with my dally who is also a stone former so needs even more water!!! I have never come across a dog that didn't drink water before I met him!!!

I do all of the things suggested. A little doggy milk/honey/broth etc in water, water in his dinner. I also give him rain water or filtered water not tap water.

ACV added to food or water is a good, cheap way to help replace electrolytes. Stock made from boiling a lump of chicken in water is good, watered down goats milk works well too :rofl:

It's good for the dogs but they often turn their noses up at even a splash of it in their water (well mine did anyway).

ACV added to food or water is a good, cheap way to help replace electrolytes. Stock made from boiling a lump of chicken in water is good, watered down goats milk works well too :rofl:

It's good for the dogs but they often turn their noses up at even a splash of it in their water (well mine did anyway).

Mine will too so I mix it into his evening meal instead (around 30ml per night).

Sometimes running water is more interesting. There are waterers on the market (Drinkwell, Dogit to name two) that some in various sizes and aerate the water as a side benefit.

To anyone adding water to food - just be a little careful if it is dry food containing Vit C as a link has been made between wetting these foods and gastric torsion.

Sags

Same idea as adding thoney to the water - My horse would never drink the water when we weren't at home. So for the few days leading up to a show we would add some apple juice to his water, then the same at the show and it always worked.

Maybe you just need to make the water more appetising to encourage him to drink.