Help New Puppy, Dont Know What Im Doing, Advice Needed

angelnkids

he cant start puppy pre school till he has had all his shots, at 9 weeks he would not be fully vaccinated, my puppy had her last shots at 12 weeks and started school at 14 weeks

i

the puppy schools here take them before they have had all their shots

snap pf :laugh:

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 more things that have not been posted.

If you give raw chicken wings or necks watch your puppy. They can still choke on them so young. Don't leave it with him if you are going out.

Watch your children don't fall on him. Small pup, wobbly or boisterous toddler, accidents can happen.

hey max im in w.a well im actually in Baldivis also :)

ring rockingham dog club they do puppy preschool and then once they have had all the shots they can join in the proper class's its $90 and that inc's the club fee so you can just keep going once pup is vaccinate. all the rest are just ran by vet nurses in rockingham. even google the dog club it has it on there website.

absoloutly get his desexed do not breed this dog.

k

odd mix not what i would call a good family breed but thems the breaks LOL and if you got it from PP in rocko city i would not be suprised if you dog is only that cross they have no dam clue but to sell. I have seen amstaffs being sold as pure when mum looks like a masstif.

visit the dogstardaily website poodlefan gave you on the first page of this thread.

If you are interested in an excellent pre school puppy class for your puppy I can put you in contact with someone who does a fantastic job.

actually just go to this website.http://trainapuptime.com/

many of the vets in WA run preschool but I speak to a lot of people who have and I see a lot of disasters which is exactly why Carolyn started TAP time. At the dog club we were getting scared puppies who had done vet pre school and I mean enough to cause concern ...still do. Bullies are not checked and the wee pups are terrified in social situations. Carilyn will help you with all aspects of your puppy rearing.

Rockingham dog club have lots of people too to offer you help and advice and it would be a good club for you to join next year when puppy is older.

You have heaps of great advice on this thread but call Carolyn and you won't be sorry.

Hi Maxnkids,

I just wanted to say, good on you for seeking advice! You seem like you really want to make a good life for your pup and your family.

I also have a small cross breed (toy poodle x maltese) and I know they can definitely turn out to be great dogs, although like all dogs it takes work. You can do it though! They are unpredictable, and especially when yound and small, need lots of support and reassurance that they have a pack leader who will protect them, without encouraging them to be fearful. Small dogs need to learn how to read the world around them and react in a way that will keep them out of trouble, as they really have no other means of defence.

Listen to the advice you get here, take on what makes sense to you and keep asking questions :thumbsup:)

Also, puppy photos are always welcome... :D

BYB crossbred pup, bought by unsuspecting owner and now it will be a purebred forum that picks up the pieces and helps the owner out.

Where does it say this is a pure bred forum? Edit - ahh, just saw it in the forum rules that no one reads.

Good on her for asking for help.

Edited by ILoveBoundaries

Where does it say this is a pure bred forum? Edit - ahh, just saw it in the forum rules that no one reads.

Good on her for asking for help.

Actually, if you scroll UP - you'll find its the site's title.....Dogzonline...Australia's PUREBRED dog community.

Of course cross bred owners are welcome, but it is essentially a purebred forum.

fifi

Good on you for asking, you've go tthe pup now and your looking for advice so thats the best start.

My family has always had dogs, we've always raised them from puppies. But Quinn is my first baby of my own and I've never had to do all teh hard yards that a puppy takes myself before and the first few weeks were HARD!

I know she is a particularily active puppy but I was buggered the first few weeks.

I'd go to bed, usually ahve to get up and take her out onleash at least once a night to toilet, standing in the cold and then she'd wake me up again at 5-6am and I'd have to pull mysefl up, carry her outside (she couldn't walk to the door and hold it) and get her to pee again and then take her in for breakfast, take her back out again to toilet and then play with her for atleast an hour so she wasn't doing zoomies in the house.

I have one memory of Mum getting up one morning to get ready for work, I was already up and she found me cleaning up a puddle of pee in the back room, her exact words were "omg, you DO look like a new mum"

It paid off, she's my little star and she's so easy now. She taught me a lot of things that we have never done when raising a puppy before and I will never raise a puppy without again.

Crate: Its INVALUABLE. Somewhere to put her to eat and know she's not going to eat and then poo on the ground, somewhere for her to sleep and know she's not going to get up int eh middle of the night and chew on chords, somewhere for her to go when she's knackered. She genuinley likes it and chooses to sleep in it over my bed most nights.

Puppy Preschool: Quinn's quiet shy by nature, her first night at preschool she hid under my chair the entire time. Each week she got a little more confident and in her last session she was doing zoomies with the other puppies. She wouldnt' have got the chance to meet so many friendly dogs without it, it helped her immensley. I had a good preschool, the shy or small puppies got time off when the big bouncy puppies were leashed and were free to be on laps/picked up when the bigger dogs were off. When they got too much for the other puppies preschool was over.

Softer Training:I will admit when I was raised everything I was told about dog training was rougher than I like now, it was that you "have to make the dog do it" with the idea that if they didn't and "got away with it" they'd be disobediant. Quinn rarely has accidents inside now, she's super bright and a very happy puppy and she's rarely even heard a harsh word. The other dogs were housebroken using "rub their nose in it" I'm pretty disgusted to say and she never got that. Mum said once when she was really frustrated she smacked her gently and Quinn went to pieces for days, she's too soft for it and I'm so glad I know now what I do otherwise I could have done a lot of damage with her.

Be patient, puppies are babies and if dogs arn't doing what we asked we eithr havn't explained it well enough or not given them a good enough reason to do it.

Quinn's 5 months now and I'm starting to prepare to brace myself for her teenager stage.

Edited by busterlove

, he cant start puppy pre school till he has had all his shots

i

Most puppy preschools cater specifically for partially vaccinated pups. :laugh:

i never knew that, my puppy goes to obedience school, the closest puppy school is 1.5 hours away, and the obedience school needed her to be fully vaccinated, the obedience school does not have specific classes for puppies, any age starts the starters class and then after four weeks you go on to the advanced class

sorry about that

Yeh, I see that now. I'd never noticed it. The reality is that if they wanted to exclude crosses, then they probably should have called it 'PureBredsonline.com.au'.

Someone that has a cross puppy, which has just spent another sleepless night, aint going to take the time to check (plus they get great help here from some posters).

Once upon a time there was a site for cross breed owners....unfortunately decent advice was not very forthcoming...reason being - pure breed breeders are the ones doing all the work, spending all the money and paying for the research that tells everyone else that cross bred dogs ARE NOT as fit, healthy and functional as pure breeds...Sorry I'll get off my soap box now...

Once upon a time there was a site for cross breed owners....unfortunately decent advice was not very forthcoming...reason being - pure breed breeders are the ones doing all the work, spending all the money and paying for the research that tells everyone else that cross bred dogs ARE NOT as fit, healthy and functional as pure breeds...Sorry I'll get off my soap box now...

Depends on the crossbred dogs, really. I am largely around crossbred hunting dogs and they are as fit, healthy and functional as you could wish.

Randomly bred dogs being peddled in petshops? Totally different matter.

maxnkids: you've got a lot of very useful advice in this post and I hope that it's helpful to you and that you continue to ask for advice when you need it and aren't deterred ...

This is a a rather sweeping blanket statement ... also somewhat unhelpful given the OP's original request for advice ...

1. DOL is set up as a forum for owners of pure bred dogs (as recognised by the ANKC), but discussion of non-ANKC recognised dogs is permitted so long as posters do not breach forum rules. I note that in your comment you've referred to a forum for cross-breed owners and then you've said that decent advice wasn't forthcoming because pure breed breeders are the ones putting in the hard yards. While a lot of valuable information here comes from conscientious and reputable breeders - a lot of good advice on this forum also comes from conscientious and responsible owners and in those circumstances, the dog's pedigree (or lack thereof) shouldn't really be a factor.

2. I'd agree that cross bred dogs raised in puppy farms in appalling conditions can be health-compromised (but that goes for any dog raised in a puppy farm). I'd also agree that indiscriminate backyard breeding can also lead to sub-optimal health in dogs but I don't think it's necessarily the case that cross-bred dogs are always or even mostly less healthy than their pedigree counterparts. A conversation with the various people working at my local veterinary office (all of whom are very experienced) has confirmed that while there is no 100% rule - there are many healthy cross breeds out there. I'm not going to talk about statistics comparing pure to non-pure, I just want to say that there are a lot of healthy cross breeds out there who are functional, fit and healthy. When I was having a discussion with the Working Kelpie Council, they mentioned that the border collie/Kelpie cross was a relatively popular cross that was quite successful for the function for which it was crossbred. I'm not endorsing the crossbreeding, I'm just disputing that crossbreeds are necessarily not as fit, healthy and "functional".

3. A "purebred" label alone does not equal quality of dog. You've just referred to a "pure bred breeder" and all this means is that the breeder breeds pure breeds purebred dogs, not that they are an ethical and conscientious and carry out basic testing. I'm not even going to say 'registered' because in my view, registration doesn't mean anything except that the breeder satisfied registration requirements. A purebred breeder could be a puppy farmer or a BYB so long as they're breeding purebred dogs. Nonetheless, I'm assuming by the context of your remark that you are referring to a reputable and ethical breeder. Even in those cases, while the likelihood of the dog being "fit, healthy and functional" should be higher, there can be no guarantees. Just look at this forum - the majority of dogs here will be pure bred dogs but there are the full range of health/temperament issues. Some of these can be chalked up to environment or owner, but some of these come down to the dogs themselves. At the end of the day, dogs are animals and not robots or clones so there is still an element of chance even though the odds should be slightly better if the breeder is ethical and conscientious.

I'm not trying to push cross breeds or bash purebreds. I own one of each and both are lovely, healthy, have beautiful temperaments and I love them dearly. I owned my cross breed first and I think I put as much time, love, effort, money and thought into looking after my crossbreed as many purebred owners.

I guess just think it's a bit unhelpful to be spouting messages that imply that it serves someone right because they got a cross breed after they've already got the dog. There are many, many people who only start learning about dogs after they get their dog - I'm one of these people. What was helpful to me was people who were willing to give me advice since I already had the mutt ...

Yes, for my second dog we opted to go for a pure bred dog whose breeder was recommended by the appropriate registration authority because there was a lot of sense in getting a dog that had a more predictable temperament but that was because there were enough owners of pure bred dogs here who were kind, helpful and instructive ...

Also, I know that this is the internet, this is a public form and I'm not the DOL police and that people can say whatever they like and people can be as rude as they like (given the faux-bravery given by Net Anonymity) and that people should consider themselves fair game when they post here BUT as this is an internet forum and I'm also entitled to express my view, I will say that I just wish (and yes this is just a vain wish with no mandatory force behind it) that people could be nicer and kinder when people are genuinely looking for advice ...

Some threads are fair game for debate but other threads are a genuine plea for help. If you're not feeling helpful and you think that the person is unworthy of your time and knowledge because of the sort of dog they own, then it's just as easy to skip the thread and spend your time elsewhere rather than getting a kick in... Leave others to at least try to be helpful.

Edited by koalathebear

maxnkids: you've got a lot of very useful advice in this post and I hope that it's helpful to you and that you continue to ask for advice when you need it and aren't deterred ...

This is a a rather sweeping blanket statement ... also somewhat unhelpful given the OP's original request for advice ...

1. DOL is set up as a forum for owners of pure bred dogs (as recognised by the ANKC), but discussion of non-ANKC recognised dogs is permitted so long as posters do not breach forum rules. I note that in your comment you've referred to a forum for cross-breed owners and then you've said that decent advice wasn't forthcoming because pure breed breeders are the ones putting in the hard yards. While a lot of valuable information here comes from conscientious and reputable breeders - a lot of good advice on this forum also comes from conscientious and responsible owners and in those circumstances, the dog's pedigree (or lack thereof) shouldn't really be a factor.

2. I'd agree that cross bred dogs raised in puppy farms in appalling conditions can be health-compromised (but that goes for any dog raised in a puppy farm). I'd also agree that indiscriminate backyard breeding can also lead to sub-optimal health in dogs but I don't think it's necessarily the case that cross-bred dogs are always or even mostly less healthy than their pedigree counterparts. A conversation with the various people working at my local veterinary office (all of whom are very experienced) has confirmed that while there is no 100% rule - there are many healthy cross breeds out there. I'm not going to talk about statistics comparing pure to non-pure, I just want to say that there are a lot of healthy cross breeds out there who are functional, fit and healthy. When I was having a discussion with the Working Kelpie Council, they mentioned that the border collie/Kelpie cross was a relatively popular cross that was quite successful for the function for which it was crossbred. I'm not endorsing the crossbreeding, I'm just disputing that crossbreeds are necessarily not as fit, healthy and "functional".

3. A "purebred" label alone does not equal quality of dog. You've just referred to a "pure bred breeder" and all this means is that the breeder breeds pure breeds purebred dogs, not that they are an ethical and conscientious and carry out basic testing. I'm not even going to say 'registered' because in my view, registration doesn't mean anything except that the breeder satisfied registration requirements. A purebred breeder could be a puppy farmer or a BYB so long as they're breeding purebred dogs. Nonetheless, I'm assuming by the context of your remark that you are referring to a reputable and ethical breeder. Even in those cases, while the likelihood of the dog being "fit, healthy and functional" should be higher, there can be no guarantees. Just look at this forum - the majority of dogs here will be pure bred dogs but there are the full range of health/temperament issues. Some of these can be chalked up to environment or owner, but some of these come down to the dogs themselves. At the end of the day, dogs are animals and not robots or clones so there is still an element of chance even though the odds should be slightly better if the breeder is ethical and conscientious.

I'm not trying to push cross breeds or bash purebreds. I own one of each and both are lovely, healthy, have beautiful temperaments and I love them dearly. I owned my cross breed first and I think I put as much time, love, effort, money and thought into looking after my crossbreed as many purebred owners.

I guess just think it's a bit unhelpful to be spouting messages that imply that it serves someone right because they got a cross breed after they've already got the dog. There are many, many people who only start learning about dogs after they get their dog - I'm one of these people. What was helpful to me was people who were willing to give me advice since I already had the mutt ...

Yes, for my second dog we opted to go for a pure bred dog whose breeder was recommended by the appropriate registration authority because there was a lot of sense in getting a dog that had a more predictable temperament but that was because there were enough owners of pure bred dogs here who were kind, helpful and instructive ...

Also, I know that this is the internet, this is a public form and I'm not the DOL police and that people can say whatever they like and people can be as rude as they like (given the faux-bravery given by Net Anonymity) and that people should consider themselves fair game when they post here BUT as this is an internet forum and I'm also entitled to express my view, I will say that I just wish (and yes this is just a vain wish with no mandatory force behind it) that people could be nicer and kinder when people are genuinely looking for advice ...

Some threads are fair game for debate but other threads are a genuine plea for help. If you're not feeling helpful and you think that the person is unworthy of your time and knowledge because of the sort of dog they own, then it's just as easy to skip the thread and spend your time elsewhere rather than getting a kick in... Leave others to at least try to be helpful.

:rofl:

Just wanted to say KTB YAY!!! u just said pretty much everything i have been thinking for ages probably put together alot better than me :-) so go you! Well said

ETA: I have really only ever owned cross bred dogs, personally i hate the fact that they are seen as lower class to pure bred dogs.... My cross bred dogs have always been healthy and fit, an not cost me as much as my dads purebred in vet bills

Edited by Marley'z Mum

thanks for the support and nice words from some of u, esp koalabear.

Im not going to be deterred from the people hear who dont agree with crossbreeds, i totally get why they are against them, but that doesnt mean i wont love and care for the dog as much as a pure breed owner.

We made a geniuine mistake in buyin from a pet shop ( and although some of u may not belive me when i say this) i can honestly say i wasnt aware of pet farms, and how horrible they can be. I can say i will never buy from a pet shop again and discourage anyone from it

AND i did read the forum rules B4 i signed up about it bein pure breed forum but cross breed owners welcome too.

I mean where else can i go for advice, back to the pet shop eh ? i dont think so, thats why i am comin on here to get good advce

thank

tracy

:rofl::rofl:

thanks for the support and nice words from some of u, esp koalabear.

Im not going to be deterred from the people hear who dont agree with crossbreeds, i totally get why they are against them, but that doesnt mean i wont love and care for the dog as much as a pure breed owner.

We made a geniuine mistake in buyin from a pet shop ( and although some of u may not belive me when i say this) i can honestly say i wasnt aware of pet farms, and how horrible they can be. I can say i will never buy from a pet shop again and discourage anyone from it

AND i did read the forum rules B4 i signed up about it bein pure breed forum but cross breed owners welcome too.

I mean where else can i go for advice, back to the pet shop eh ? i dont think so, thats why i am comin on here to get good advce

thank

tracy

Hi tracy crap happens in life we make mistakes we move on. you have a pup u love and thats what matters in the end. did u call rockingham dog club about there puppy preschool?

might meet you in there if you go, im starting my boy in the obedience so if you join once your little lad has had his needles we would be in the same group.