Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was working Cash on ducks one day, attempting to get them into a free standing pen. After 5 minutes of no success (mainly due to a certain kelpie's selective deafness when it comes to the command "down"), I gave up trying to achieve this with the dog - put him on a down stay and put the ducks into the pen myself! All within about 15 seconds :)

Sometimes having the dog "helping" makes it harder...

Sounds good Superminty. Paul McP. thought that Brock might be good on cows. He has certainly shown more interest in horse herding then sheepies.

When I bring the horse & sheep out to the paddock in the morning, just before our walk to get the paper, Izzi loves to herd Jorja. Not sure if she knows I'm leading her or not but she thinks she's doing a great job of puttng the horse out :laugh:, Jorja just sneers at Izzi & wanders along behind me :laugh:.

Another great day training yesterday.

Had a little go on the calves - only 4 this time and we were in the A course yard. Cash's confidence is right up now that he has figured out how to get them to move. He is quite good at getting them out of corners and off fences. Not so good at getting them to go in a straight line in the open though. I feel they work quite similar to ducks, despite the size difference! Lots more driving and not much fetching required. Not sure I want cows fetched to me anyhow!

We then had a few sessions teaching "back" in the round yard with great success. I remembered to teach it with me standing inside and outside of the flight zone, so he understands that a flank is along the edge of the flight zone regardless of where I am standing. Had super heavy sheep though and they kept following me back to the dog when I set him! I had to stand behind him when sending him so they wouldnt just come straight to me :rofl:

Back again on Friday so will hopefully get some video of the calves.

Yes. I have beginner dogs. Although I think the Kelpie is almost up to it now :laugh:

We took one of our JRT's to see the sheep yesterday and the sheep came running and wanted to say hello to him.

Thought he would play with them and was one of them, although it was very very cute, I think it is almost time to introduce them to a dog.

I might ask one of our more experienced doggie friends to come and do a session with them. :laugh:

I have 110 ducks to break in for trialling tomorrow :) Cash will be working ducks in his sleep after that :)

Had some fun with the sheepies yesterday. I split a couple off because they were too heavy (makes setting them really hard when all they want to do is follow you around!) and put them in the pen. Then we had to move the rest of the sheep off the pen where their buddies were. They did not want to go! So Cash got a good lesson in applying and holding pressure.

I had him walk in to the heads and lay down and just hold the pressure. He tends to want to dive in and then blow out straight away, but I want him to hold pressure, not escape it. The sheep were not happy - lowering their heads and stamping at him. He did really well, used plenty of eye and eventually got those sheep out of the corner.

Also did a little driving - about 5 metres, really nicely done. His sides are coming along, he will still yield whether I am inside or outside the flight zone, which I am thrilled about.

If only he would lay down when asked :)

You going to the herding camp Superminty? I'm going with Poppy. Will be the first time she has been on sheep since the Trudy clinic so might be a bit exciting, lol.

I'll be there Jules. Bronte hasn't been on stock for a few months now, so she'll be a little exuberant (and loud) the first couple of runs I expect, but I think the weekend will be good for her.

Lol, superminty.

The first time I camped with a dog, I borrowed a tent from the dog club and my dear old Reagan was not keen on tenting and repeatedly hit the zip until he split it and I could not get it done up again. I ended up sleeping with both dogs on lead and tied to my camp stretcher.

An hour or so after I went to sleep friends that had been off doing other things returned and 1 of their dogs came bounding in to the tent so they apologised and got the zip repaired when we returned thinking their dog had done it, lol. (and I don't feel too guilty as they were upholsterers so did it themselves and probably W

would have anyway :confused: )

I've only camped once with my current dogs and that was with Cole who decided the best place to sleep was on top of me :confused:

Everyone have fun at the herding camp. We're not doing anything till training starts Feb/March because the fun 3 sheep trial at Wattle Flat has been canceled :o

Edited by Janba

I am new to the whole herding thing but my 9mth old kelpie loves it :confused: Where do you find out about herding clinics?

Where abouts in NSW are you? There is herding training weekends at EP and on Sat morning at Hawkesbury if they have opened their books to new member again.

I am new to the whole herding thing but my 9mth old kelpie loves it :o Where do you find out about herding clinics?

Where abouts in NSW are you? There is herding training weekends at EP and on Sat morning at Hawkesbury if they have opened their books to new member again.

We have been going out to Hawkesbury for the last 5mths or so. Have not tried EP yet though, have been meaning to. Is there a website I can go to for EP regarding the training wkend? Tried to find it thorough the dogs NSW website but no luck.

Thanks for your help :confused:

I am new to the whole herding thing but my 9mth old kelpie loves it :o Where do you find out about herding clinics?

We have been going out to Hawkesbury for the last 5mths or so. Have not tried EP yet though, have been meaning to. Is there a website I can go to for EP regarding the training wkend? Tried to find it thorough the dogs NSW website but no luck.

Training at EP starts again in March. The first Sat of the month is run by ths NSW herding association and you need to be a member. Membership is $25 per year and training is free. all other Sats are run by DogsNSW sporting committee and you need to be a member of DogsNSW and training costs $5. Training times are 9-3 wheather permitting.

Sundays are run by the Australian Stockdog zClud and you need to be a member $28 per year plus I think $5 joining fee. Training costs $3 and hours are the same as Sat.

There is a Yahoo group for training announcements, trial dates etc for EP

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/herdingEP/

I've only camped once with my current dogs and that was with Cole who decided the best place to sleep was on top of me :confused:

Everyone have fun at the herding camp. We're not doing anything till training starts Feb/March because the fun 3 sheep trial at Wattle Flat has been canceled :happydance:

Janba, it will be Feb/March before I get back out there as well. THe guy I am hoping to start training with has been too busy with harvest etc and now we go into our hot period :cooldance:

Most of the time that I camped I went with a friend and we would have 5 dogs in our 4 man tent together. I always laughed as I had the bed to myself and my 3 all tried to sleep with her. They know I like my space and not to get on my bed! :o

Training at EP starts again in March. The first Sat of the month is run by ths NSW herding association and you need to be a member. Membership is $25 per year and training is free. all other Sats are run by DogsNSW sporting committee and you need to be a member of DogsNSW and training costs $5. Training times are 9-3 wheather permitting.

Sundays are run by the Australian Stockdog zClud and you need to be a member $28 per year plus I think $5 joining fee. Training costs $3 and hours are the same as Sat.

There is a Yahoo group for training announcements, trial dates etc for EP

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/herdingEP/

Thanks for that, I will check it out :happydance: