Outdoor Toileting

koalathebear

Our first puppy (8 months old) is fully house-trained, the second puppy (14 weeks) just needs one toilet break at 3.30am and is pretty much almost fully house-trained now.

Both of our puppies now toilet on command which makes life easier. We also have a designated spot (Poo Corner) where they are to do their business. At night, they are very good about going to Poo Corner. After rain, Elbie sometimes gets confused so we need to put him on his leash and guide him back to Poo Corner. For training, we use a leash or we herd them towards Poo Corner and then we praise. If we see them going elsewhere, we bring them back to Poo Corner.

The problem is during the day. I notice that they will go to Poo Corner of their own volition if they’re nearby but if they’re on the other side of the yard, they’ll usually just dispense with the rules. This happened when Elbie was alone, too. It’s like the effort of going to Poo Corner is too much of an inconvenience so they let fly wherever they happen to be in the yard :rofl: So while a clean-up usually only takes about 5 minutes in Poo Corner, we will have to do a search of the yard for 2-3 renegade deposits. Now that we have two dogs, we clean up at least twice a day.

I was interested in other people’s situations. Do your dogs unerringly go to their designated Poo Corner or is every Poo Pick clean-up a treasure hunt? Are they like our dogs, 90% in Poo Corner but 10% here and there? If you’ve managed to train them to go Poo Corner and nowhere else – how did you do it?

Not much help here... Satch goes 100% in Poo Corner. We didn't train him to, but he is such a clean dog and hates being anywhere near poo (unless it's from a duck or sheep), so won't go anywhere else.

Ava is more 90% 10% like your guys. She mostly goes to Poo Corner but not always.

Our yard is so small that it's easy to find the renegades, but if we had a bigger yard we probably wouldn't worry too much about missing one here and there.

Wow.. that's impressive.

My 2 don't have a favorite spot to do their business. Emmy was a bitch to toilet train, so we are just happy that she does it outside!! Charlie lets me knows where he does his business though :rofl:

Kuma is in Poo Corner only - no renegade turds in our house... He has to go as far away from his bed/play area as possible, so his poo corner is in the furthest corner of our yard.

He really only likes to "go" when out of our yard, and I'm almost certain he waits until we go for walks to do his business, and then he'll often go twice!

plus he has to pee on every tree, bush, or blade of grass... working on limiting that at the moment!

Edited by KumaAkita

We've just managed to get Penny to do her poo OFF the deck :rofl: and on the grass full stop... let alone getting her to go further away from the house to do it in a corner.

That said- she will usually go to her 'wee' spot, for poo too, so I think she will get better with time.

Kuma is in Poo Corner only - no renegade turds in our house... He has to go as far away from his bed/play area as possible, so his poo corner is in the furthest corner of our yard.

He really only likes to "go" when out of our yard, and I'm almost certain he waits until we go for walks to do his business, and then he'll often go twice!

plus he has to pee on every tree, bush, or blade of grass... working on limiting that at the moment!

Satch and Kuma sound like kindred spirits.

Half your luck KTB.

katie STILL has accidents inside the house. So i am just please when she actually lets us know she needs to go out.

Skye is really good, I don't think she was ever house trained but is just such a clean dog, she doesn't want to do it inside.

if my boy poops in the yard/garden then i know he isn't feeling well. he poops on walks and whatnot - saves them up for when he is off our property. something i personally appreciate!

so the only time he poops in the yard is if he is feeling awful and usually that is if he is scouring for some reason (food intolerances).

the cats however... the litter tray or on any bit of greenery or dirt or even in the middle of the garden path! *sigh*

The dogs seem to pick area's they prefer for themselves, Buster tends to go so far back into the un-maintained gardens out of emabressment that we rarely even collect his, Mac likes to go anywhere and everywhere, Quinn picked one corner around the side of the house and Harry likes to go in the bushes.

We pick up ionce or twice a week and just sweep the entire yard, we probably miss a few but it doesn't both us that much.

Quinn has ben a bit of pain to housetrain, just becauise we can't leave them free acess to indoors/outdoors as Harry doesn't like the other dogs. So even if she started looking like she needed to go I had to pick her up and move dogs around before I could take her out. She turned 5 months old today and she's pretty good now, only has accidents if we don't let her out for too long and they are always right byt he door.

No set area here either, I pick it up once every 2 days or so as they only go once a day (puppy excluded) and we have a massive yard.

None of them have ever done a poo inside, both the older boys are completley toilet trained and Jovi is getting there, she will go and sit by the door if she wants to go out but sometimes she leaves her run late and ends up peeing right next to the door because she can't hold on anymore. I really want to get a doggy door :rofl: we are getting there though! She is my first dog I have actually set out to train as the other two done it themselves!

When in the big pen yard mine tend to voluntarily have a poo corner. As the pen is so large we just let it disintegrate.

When inside my three go to the door and are then free to go wherever they wish outside.

Again (as we are on farm) it is so disbursed that we just leave it too.

Mine are fully housetrained, but go anywhere outside. Unfortunately they especially like to do it under the clothesline (a bad trait they picked up from my parent's dogs)! I can't guide them to spot, because one of mine won't go if you're watching... (he needs absolute privacy before he'll go, and gets upset if you accidently look at him :shrug:).

Ours are all house trained too though about to start again with a baby we are keeping from this litter. We try to keep the grass short so the search and find routine each day is easy. Though occassionally the grass gets away from us ... lets just say its one thing when you cant find the do-do in the grass ... another all together when you cant see the dog doing it!!! :crazy::shrug:

Our yard is divided into a couple of sections so he has quite a few poo spots. Most are deep within the garden - saves me picking it up :hug: But he also likes to go under the deck after dinner which is a pain in the arse to clean out. I don't think he's ever gone on the grass in the backyard.

So while he would never just let fly, he also has quite a few poo spots he's loyal too - it all depends on his preference at the time.

Edited by Niques

You would just die if you saw the way my boy does his business. He's fully house trained so that's not the issue. Its the way he walks it.... he can't just stay in one place and do it, he walks and walks, stops and sniffs around, walks and walks, does some more, walks.... stops and thinks, then walks and does some more. I have to follow the 'trail' when I'm on pickup duty!

You would just die if you saw the way my boy does his business. He's fully house trained so that's not the issue. Its the way he walks it.... he can't just stay in one place and do it, he walks and walks, stops and sniffs around, walks and walks, does some more, walks.... stops and thinks, then walks and does some more. I have to follow the 'trail' when I'm on pickup duty!

One of mine walks hers too :D Everyone always laughs at her when they see it, me included :hug:

Buffy, at 15 weeks always goes to the same pee spot..100% of time.

She refuses to accept a designated poop spot tho leave little gifts where she pleases.

This doesnt bother me too much.....at least she is going outside and has been accident free (inside) for 3 weeks now.