Relocating Pets Internationally (melbourne To Amsterdam) - Any Advice?

jin

I'd be really grateful for any advice on relocating pets. I am moving from Melbourne to Amsterdam next year and am taking my two little guys with me. One is a Havanese and the other is a Maltese. They are 1.5 and 2 yrs old.

They are both microchipped and up to date with vaccinations, and last month they had their rabies vaccinations.

I have two major questions:

1. Recommendations for carriers - I have heard some horror stories. Has anybody had good experience/ can anybody recommend a reliable international carrier? I know a few people relocate domestically but it is the international transfers that I am worried about.

Cost is not the factor - safety and responsibility is paramount. Our dogs mean the world to us and we love them unconditionally. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them.

2. Crates - what are people's views in relation to crates? My dogs are very attached to each other and I would therefore like for them to travel in the same crate. I would ask for as large a crate as possible to ensure they have enough room. They are very very small dogs. Again, this is not because of cost (which in fact is the same as with two crates, if not more), but more because they take refuge in each other.

Many thanks - very grateful for any comments/ experience!!

You need to check with any dog transport but i would doubt they will be allowed to share a crate.

There are certain crates that are approved for travel .

Vari or the PP40 plus a few others,i would be buying a crate each & training them now & being separate .

I can't help with recommendations but I just wanted to say a friend moved to Holland last year and took her two pet Cavalier boys. Apparently they handled the trip fine and love it over there. She's sent me some lovely pics of them in the snow and they often jump into cannals :)

I would highly recommend Jetpets for the job. :laugh: Organising NOW is an excellent idea just in case there are further veterinary requirements for your babies. :)

Crate training is an absolute *must* - they will have to be in separate crates as far as I know but once again check with Jetpets as they can give you the full run down. :rofl: Also check the crate sizes etc that you will need for travel - the international crate requirements are much larger than Domestic.

Having a regular person to deal with makes the whole process a lot easier IMHO. Good Luck!! :laugh:

I used Dogtainers ACT when I sent Bad Alice to Japan. Highly recommend them, they were very easy and efficient every step of the way.

I would also check with DOLer wayrod, I think he does International transport. I would have used his services for Alice if I'd known about them then.

I brought my cat with me to the US (from Melbourne) and I spoke to a few of the pet transport companies before I left. I ended up going with Jetpets because of a) price and b) total travel time for kitty. It seemed to me that the different companies use different airlines and so flight time, stopovers etc varied (in my case, total travel time varied by almost 24 hours between companies). It might be something for you to keep in mind, especially as there are so many flights/routes that you can take to get to Amsterdam.

Jetpets were great, very professional and we had no problems at all.

I used JetPets sending two Labbies from WA to California. No complaints . . . other than some silly paperwork at the end.

I'd advise taking a tranquilizer yourself, cause sending your babies is very worrysome. But the dogs seem to take it fine .. . I have previously travelled between the US and Europe with a dog . . . no real problems.

Do look at the schedule they propose. Long stopovers aren't good (duh!).

And DON'T assume it will be as easy bringing 'em back to Oz as it is shipping out . . . but you probably already know that.

Things to keep in mind -

Avoid transiting through asian airports during the day - it's hot in KL and Singapore all year round. Try to get a flight that stops over at night. I know Qantas have a good one that leaves Brisbane and goes direct to Frankfurt with only a 1 hour refuel stop in Singapore at night. No plain changes, short stop and it's night time (so animals are less likely to be overwhelmed by heat & humidity. I've done this flight with my dogs and exported dogs out on this flight also.

Animals go out as "Special Cargo" and you may face duties and taxes at the other end. Personally had fights with Frankfurt officials twice over this. Germans love their taxes.

The bigger crate is not always the better one. While you think the dog needs more room as they are locked up for such a long time it is not always ideal. Dogs experience the same turbulence as you and get jostled when loaded/unloaded. The bigger the crate, the more room to be tossed around in. They do need to be able to stand up with head clearance and turn around easily but don't go too big. Basically a crate they can curl up and "hide" in is the best.

The freight costs are calculated by volume, so the size of the crate can affect this.

Get them used to crate now, and perhaps do a short return flight within Australia to get them used to the situation.

I can't help with recommendations but I just wanted to say a friend moved to Holland last year and took her two pet Cavalier boys. Apparently they handled the trip fine and love it over there. She's sent me some lovely pics of them in the snow and they often jump into cannals :D

Hi Gretel - thanks for that!! I am driving myself nuts with worry. Would it be very troublesome to ask your friend who she used? Thanks so much.

I can't help with recommendations but I just wanted to say a friend moved to Holland last year and took her two pet Cavalier boys. Apparently they handled the trip fine and love it over there. She's sent me some lovely pics of them in the snow and they often jump into cannals :laugh:

Hi Gretel - thanks for that!! I am driving myself nuts with worry. Would it be very troublesome to ask your friend who she used? Thanks so much.

I shall email now and let you know.

Good luck, and it's no use me saying don't worry, as having done the reverse trip (UK to Oz) recently, you will worry :laugh:

All I can say is the animals did just fine, all people we dealt with were very professional and our 2 dogs and 1 cat coped well. I used a UK company so can't recommend any this end I'm afraid.

They used custom made wooden crates for each of them, which are better for temperature and less noisy on the planes they said. The dogs couldn't share, but they were all put next to each other on the plane.

Do they have any quarantine to do at the other end?

We came from Amsterdam about 3 years ago and used a local shipper but the animals flew with Malaysian. I think most of them use Malaysian because of the short stopover. Friends of us went back to Holland last year with their 2 dogs and used Jetpets as well together with Malaysian. No dramas at all. you dont have quarantine so pretty good to go that way with your dogs ..compared to coming here :(

• 4 weeks later...

If it is not too late, we exported ours from Oz to Switzerland, and Tadie our wolfhound back again. We used Jetpets both ways and found them very good and competitively priced.

A word on Holland, dogs seem pretty well treated there, we had no problem when we stayed in a holiday park.

Mike B