Cheapest Flight Options For Dogs?

blackbirdblue

Hi, we are hoping to adopt an older dog near Canberra and will need to fly her to Adelaide, we dont want to use an agent as we are trying to minimize costs, I have tried looking at airlines to see how much and how to go about transporting her, If anyone can give me some advice on this I would much appreciate it, thank you

Hi, we are hoping to adopt an older dog near Canberra and will need to fly her to Adelaide, we dont want to use an agent as we are trying to minimize costs, I have tried looking at airlines to see how much and how to go about transporting her, If anyone can give me some advice on this I would much appreciate it, thank you

I highly recommend Dogtainers. They were so fantastic for me flying my pup from Canberra to Brisbane. (And my breeder works for them)

http://www.dogtainers.com.au/?s=4-faqs&id=19

Before finding out that that is what my breeder does for a living, I had already gotten a number of quotes and decided that Dogtainers were by far the best.

I was originally looking at flights from Sydney to Brisbane, and I had a couple of waaaayy out there quotes for around $490! :thumbsup: Dogtainers quoted me about $150 (I can't remember exactly).

Your cheapest option is to find someone who is flying that can take the dog as excess luggage. The next cheapest option is dogtainers. They buy their travel space in bulk so they get a much better deal than you or I could if we fly the dog independantly.

It doesnt cost as much as you think to fly dogs around - unless they are large breeds in which case I would suggest you use a road transport like GTE. If you can borrow a crate to fly the dog in you will save yourself approx $70. I do rescue and try to keep at least one PP40 crate in both syd and melb which can be used to transport the dogs. If you use your own crate at least you know the crate is clean. Dogtainers often uses a hose to clean crates between dogs and thinks this is enough!

I live in Broken Hill so i fly a lot of dogs. One hint is that when you contact dogtainers for a quote, ask if that is their best price. Often they will reduce the cost by up to $50 just like that. Also dont fly dogs on Fridays. If a flight is too heavy with luggage the dog will get bumped to the next avail flight. This is much more likely to happen on Fridays. You can often get a better price if you fly the dog early in the week.

Good on you for adopting a rescue :thumbsup:

ETA If all else fails contact pikespooches about the possibility of your dog travelling with a truckie.

Edited by indigirl

Yep, see if you can find someone who's flying over and take the dog as excess luggage.

I found Dogtainers to be $50-$70 more expensive than Jetpets. I had a dog flown (25kg boy with crate hire) from Melbourne to Perth; Dogtainers were just over $400 and it cost me $320 through Jetpet.

JetPets all the way.

I have used them in the past and not only were they very reasonably priced but the service was SUPER.

Dog arrived in good condition and all handlers are dog people themselves.

I have recently used dogtainers as well as I could not get a booking on the day required with jetPets and they were fine, but more expensive.

DOLer wayrod's rates are very competitive. I have found him to be cheaper than both Dogtainers and Jetpets and with very good service.

An agent will usually be cheaper than doing it yourself because they are able to get better "bulk" discount rates from the airlines. Taking a dog as excess may not necessarily be cheaper, depending upon the airline and the people working at both ends. I've known dogs travelling as excess, especially larger or heavier breeds, which have cost almost as much for excess as they would have for freight.

We have flown several pups out from Perth or too Perth to various other states and it is around $250 through JetPets (and they have always been cheaper than Dogtainers for us too).

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :thumbsup:

We have flown several pups out from Perth or too Perth to various other states and it is around $250 through JetPets (and they have always been cheaper than Dogtainers for us too).

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :thumbsup:

Sending out of Perth to Melbourne is normally cheaper than flying into Perth. More freight goes into Perth than leaves Perth so outbound freight rates are cheaper.

As a guide Airport to Airport (16kg-pup and crate total weight) Perth-Melbourne Pup in new (purchased not hire) PP40 crate $155.00 whereas Melbourne-Perth the price would be around $175.00. Obviously the heavier the pet and crate being transported the greater the price variance.

As for flying out of Canberra, you are limited to Qantas/AAE as Virgin do not fly unaccompanied outbound pets. AAE can be a bit pricey to forward pets out of Canberra.

Flying my rescue, Millie, out of Canberra, direct to Perth I was limited to Qantas/AAE and it was very exxy!! :laugh: Around $550 including crate hire, airport to airport. Dog weighs around 24kg plus crate. I think most flights coming out of Canberra are going to be the most expensive if they have to travel a fair distance because the direct flights only run once or twice a day. I tried getting prices to do it myself and it was too expensive. Jetpets was the cheapest, followed by Dogtainers who wanted about $60 more.

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :laugh:

Sending out of Perth to Melbourne is normally cheaper than flying into Perth. More freight goes into Perth than leaves Perth so outbound freight rates are cheaper.

As a guide Airport to Airport (16kg-pup and crate total weight) Perth-Melbourne Pup in new (purchased not hire) PP40 crate $155.00 whereas Melbourne-Perth the price would be around $175.00. Obviously the heavier the pet and crate being transported the greater the price variance.

As for flying out of Canberra, you are limited to Qantas/AAE as Virgin do not fly unaccompanied outbound pets. AAE can be a bit pricey to forward pets out of Canberra.

Geez! I'm I reading this right, that sounds way too cheap.I enquired last Christmas about sending my roughly 18kg bitch to Melbourne for a mating and was quoted $600 odd each way. Who do I contact about getting my dog transported for these rates and more importantly are they good at looking after the dogs being transported.

DOLer wayrod's rates are very competitive. I have found him to be cheaper than both Dogtainers and Jetpets and with very good service.

An agent will usually be cheaper than doing it yourself because they are able to get better "bulk" discount rates from the airlines. Taking a dog as excess may not necessarily be cheaper, depending upon the airline and the people working at both ends. I've known dogs travelling as excess, especially larger or heavier breeds, which have cost almost as much for excess as they would have for freight.

I recently flew 2 basenji's to Brisbane one came from Sydnet and the other from Hobart and I got quotes from Dogtainers, Jetpets, Animal transport and Doler Wayrod.

The cheapest by far was Jetpets and the service was fantastic. :laugh:

I recently flew 2 basenji's to Brisbane one came from Sydnet and the other from Hobart and I got quotes from Dogtainers, Jetpets, Animal transport and Doler Wayrod.

The cheapest by far was Jetpets and the service was fantastic. :laugh:

I wouldn't use Jetpets again after a fairly recent experience with them. Wherever possible, I'll be sticking with wayrod.

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :laugh:

Geez! I'm I reading this right, that sounds way too cheap.I enquired last Christmas about sending my roughly 18kg bitch to Melbourne for a mating and was quoted $600 odd each way. Who do I contact about getting my dog transported for these rates and more importantly are they good at looking after the dogs being transported.

Contact the poster and enquire with him. And yes, they are EXCELLENT at looking after the dogs being transported. I have used wayrod's services on two occasions now and possibly again soon and I cannot recommend him highly enough. I have been flying dogs around Australia since I started in dogs in 1986 and I have to tell you that until now, there wasn't really a shipping agent who I felt I could trust enough to recommend them constantly.....until now.

wayrod has also been nominated for an MDBA award in Animal Transport.

I sent a 24kg GSD puppy from Canberra to Adelaide 4 weeks ago, used Jetpet they quoted $230.00 but when I paid they only charged $218.00. Excellent service only problem was that drop off time was 5.30am. :laugh: and I don't like driving in the dark.

Dogtainers quoted $290.00. Previously I have always used Dogtainers as they have been cheaper but not this time.

Edited by Fordogs

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :confused:

Based on the information that you have provided:

Airport to Airport (18kg dog + crate (allowing approx 17 kg-for either wire of vari kennel)=35kg)

Perth to Melbourne $261.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Melbourne to Perth $424.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Note: If your dog could comfortably fit within a PP40 or the soon to be released PP50 crate-82cm x 60cm x 60cm) significant weight reductions can be obtained and lower the prices further.

If you have a few dogs and look at a fair amount of transport think about purchasing your own suitably sized vari kennel or PP crate, the initial outlay will be recouped with savings made on transport crate hire fees. Currently I sell new PP40 crates at $55.00. Prices of the new PP50 have not been released yet.

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :)

Based on the information that you have provided:

Airport to Airport (18kg dog + crate (allowing approx 17 kg-for either wire of vari kennel)=35kg)

Perth to Melbourne $261.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Melbourne to Perth $424.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Note: If your dog could comfortably fit within a PP40 or the soon to be released PP50 crate-82cm x 60cm x 60cm) significant weight reductions can be obtained and lower the prices further.

If you have a few dogs and look at a fair amount of transport think about purchasing your own suitably sized vari kennel or PP crate, the initial outlay will be recouped with savings made on transport crate hire fees. Currently I sell new PP40 crates at $55.00. Prices of the new PP50 have not been released yet.

Those rates sound so much better than what I got quoted, sending my girl interstate for mating may not be so far out of my reach now. Not sure of the size of a PP40 but the other one sounds like it would be extremly large for her, she is only about 18 or 19 inches at the shoulder. Is it OK to send you an email Wayrod to get a contact number? Not sure yet when I can send her (seasons and my finances aren't always regular).but would like to be ready to use your great rates although I understand these may vary by the time I'm ready.