Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Curious how long a 20kg bag lasts everyone?

I've got two dogs, both weigh about 20kg. I was feeding them 2 cups a day each but increased this recently to 3 cups as they were looking too thin. A 20kg bag is now only lasting me about 3-4 weeks!! :( Just thinking it might be easier for me to start buying 2 bags at a time!

Edited by tiff-689

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm disappointed with how difficult it is to get in SA :( There were a couple of other distributors on the webpage before but only 1 now. Mind you neither of the other 2 were overly helpful when I contacted them and then 1 that is listed has none in stock, can't tell me when she will have more in stock and was not interested in contacting me when any came in :( I like the food and want to feed it but am about to say stuff it, it is too difficult and get something else.

Perhaps email Sherel about the problem...they might be able to help you out a bit if they know about it (she doesn't seem to come on here much is all I'm saying)

Piper I second emailing Sherel, I am sorry it is so hard for you to get and also for the customer service or lack there of!

I am not sure exactly how long a 20kg bag lasts my three as I take samples and smaller amounts out of it from time to time, but they get around 4cups a day between them and seems to last a while.

Big thumbs up to the longford vet clinic, it is the closest place for my mum to get the BH Kitty food (about an hour away) and she would go and pick it up herself but my stepdad is really sick (end stage liver cancer) and she can't leave him. I rang them today and the fabulous receptionist is going through my mums town on the weekend so she is going to drop it off. :thumbsup:

I've got two dogs, both weigh about 20kg. I was feeding them 2 cups a day each but increased this recently to 3 cups as they were looking too thin. A 20kg bag is now only lasting me about 3-4 weeks!! :( Just thinking it might be easier for me to start buying 2 bags at a time!

I guess all dogs are different & it is only a guide. My 19 kilo very active BC girl gets 1 cup a day plus half a turkey neck & training treats & any more than this & she starts to put on weight.

A 20kg bag last our 2 golden retrievers and 1 chihuahua about 2-3 months as I also give them raw mince daily and bones once or twice a week.

Hi GG85

The NSW distributors do travel Rachelle is located at Long Point Sydney and Kelly at Pheasants Nest but both go to shows and can organise great courier rates

Hope this Helps

Regards

Sherel

She lives in Griffith, post code 2680

I just had another look and saw you have a distributor in Canberra, they could be the closest, but its hard to tell because two of the NSW people don't have locations on the BH website

Hi GG85

What part of NSW ? i am sure we can get BlackHawk to your Mum

Regards

Sherel

Sherel do you have a distributor for central NSW? I'm trying to convince my mum to put her dogs on a superpremium kibble instead of tinned PAL

Hi Tiff-689

l am not sure what breed you have, nor age etc and l am not sure how long you have been feeding Black Hawk, but a couple of people who thought their dogs lost some weight when switching over in fact lost flab, then built a more muscle toned body,like people dogs are individuals and change overs vary, again depending on the breed, age and activity level, will depend on how they switch over

Regards

Sherel

Hi Piper

Sorry its currently hard for you to source in SA, but we are working on it and hope to be to update you very soon

if we can be of any help getting it to you in the meantime please dont hesitate to contact me

Regards

Sherel

I'm disappointed with how difficult it is to get in SA :( There were a couple of other distributors on the webpage before but only 1 now. Mind you neither of the other 2 were overly helpful when I contacted them and then 1 that is listed has none in stock, can't tell me when she will have more in stock and was not interested in contacting me when any came in :( I like the food and want to feed it but am about to say stuff it, it is too difficult and get something else.

Hi TLC

Glad Longford Vets could help your Mum out

Regards

Sherel

Big thumbs up to the longford vet clinic, it is the closest place for my mum to get the BH Kitty food (about an hour away) and she would go and pick it up herself but my stepdad is really sick (end stage liver cancer) and she can't leave him. I rang them today and the fabulous receptionist is going through my mums town on the weekend so she is going to drop it off. :thumbsup:

Thanks Sherel, yes Leslie was the lady's name and mum was most appreciative, the sample I sent her for her kitty, he absolutely loves it, she was mixing it in with his old kibble (super coat) now he leaves the super coat and eats the BH. Good stuff.

What you said in a previous post about dogs losing a bit of weight then building muscle, that has been so true for my tubby girl, I reckon she has lost about 1 1/2 kilos and she looks great, and has these little muscles, she does seem to have a lot more energy on the BH too, she was really lacking before and I have noticed a big improvement in her energy levels. All 4 of mine are doing well on BH! :thumbsup:

Having Whippets and not liking my dogs to be overweight at all I did not notice any change in flab/muscle when swapping over, but Lewis trained for his Endurance title easily, built up heaps of muscle and was very fit and the main part of his diet was Black Hawk.

Hi Tiff-689

l am not sure what breed you have, nor age etc and l am not sure how long you have been feeding Black Hawk, but a couple of people who thought their dogs lost some weight when switching over in fact lost flab, then built a more muscle toned body,like people dogs are individuals and change overs vary, again depending on the breed, age and activity level, will depend on how they switch over

Regards

Sherel

I have an English pointer and a RIdgie cross. Both are 7 months old and have been on BH for about 2 months. They primarily get kibble only, with dinner I also give them some mashed veggies and mince, chicken neck or kangaroo mince. Neither dog really have any flab to loose but the pointer struggles to maintain weight. Her ribs are quite visible but my vet has told me not to worry too much as they fill out as they get older. 3 cups a day each just seems to diminish the bag so quickly! :(

Hi Tiff-689

Regards

Sherel

I have an English pointer and a RIdgie cross. Both are 7 months old and have been on BH for about 2 months. They primarily get kibble only, with dinner I also give them some mashed veggies and mince, chicken neck or kangaroo mince. Neither dog really have any flab to loose but the pointer struggles to maintain weight. Her ribs are quite visible but my vet has told me not to worry too much as they fill out as they get older. 3 cups a day each just seems to diminish the bag so quickly! :(

I note that your two dogs are still really puppies at 7 months. Up to 6 months of age they should be getting twice the recommended adult rate for their weight, which if they were only 6 months & weighed 20 kilos, then they should be getting 3 cups a day, at least of adult kibble. They are both large breed dogs, so probably should stay on puppy rations for a little longer ie. 3 cups a day. When they become adults, then you would slowly reduce the amount you feed them. This is just how I read the instructions...I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. But I would imagine, it wouldn't matter what brand of food you gave them, with two large breed growing puppies you will go through the food. That's just logic IMO :)

I got some BH today from that Brisbane pet store that someone posted a few pages ago. They have a sale on, 20KG for $84--cheaper than through the BH supplier herself! :laugh:

$1 cheaper....wow

The one I contacted through this forum quoted $90 for the food because it would be freighted to me.

I got some BH today from that Brisbane pet store that someone posted a few pages ago. They have a sale on, 20KG for $84--cheaper than through the BH supplier herself! :laugh:

Do they sell pets or just pet products/food?

Just pet products as far as I know.