What's So Bad About The Rspca?

poochiemama

A search on threads with RSPCA in their title should throw some light on the subject.

For me, I object to any law enforcement agency (and the RSPCA does this) having power without oversight. The RSPCA is answerable to no one and has the power to seize dogs and ruin people emotionally and financially without them having recourse to any form of relief.

They do great good and great harm. They need oversight.

Edited by poodlefan

After volunteering there... I am still happy to give them my time in caring for the kitties there ..... but never money... it was grossly mismanaged and too top heavy. It was also very dog centric and it was often unfair that they got far more resources and in some cases, things that weren't really necessary. It was also frustrating that there was poor staff training (particularly on disease control) and they blamed the volunteers for spreading cat flu when most often I saw the volunteers following protocol and paid staff members not... frustrating!

Smaller organisations seem to get far more done on much smaller budgets. I'd donate to smaller rescue organisations as long as they meet my criteria (desexing rescues etc).

Any large organisation has its good points and bad. I think a lot of the RSPCAs problems actually relate to various States laws regarding animals.

Of all the negativeness to them there is very little useful constructive suggestions for improvement.

I donate to them regularly and have a number of RSPCA rescued pets.

Ohhhhh this is going to be a fun thread.

:(:):( Buckle up. It could get bumpy.

They are not answerable to anyone which I find really objectionable considering they are funded by the tax payer. I'd like to see the Ombudsman in each state and the ICAC to have the power to stand over them *cough* I mean answer complaints about them.

Nothing on its own. Its the system which causes the possible and probable issues and problems. No system is infallible but when you give power to one organistaion make it a quasi police force with no accountability even if they never do anything wrong the public perception is one of powerless against them.

By allowing the RSPCA the power it has - which gets stronger everyday - without the ability to monitor it and make it accountable it places us right back where we were prior to anti corruption legislation where cops loaded the witnesses, planted false evidence, destroyed the evidence which may give them a defence and backed each other up to cover each other.

They can accuse you of ill treating your animal and justify taking it away without telling you where they are taking it without evidence. They can take it to their own vet and chat among themselves and decide the dog has to be put to sleep without a second opinion. Once its dead they cremate the evidence so even if you wanted to defend your self there's nothing left to prove they are setting you up, chuck in some politics and bit of networking ,taking your records so you have no paperwork left to defend yourself.Then factor in that they want you to pay a huge bond if you want to defend yourself even way before you are proven guilty and that places anyone who owns an animal at risk .Complain about the power they have and you will be told no one has anything to worry about if they are doing the right thing. Back around 30 years ago they told us that about the cops.

There isnt any point in rattling on abouts specific cases because they tell you the courts will sort it out - if you are not guilty the court will work that out but they go by what they are told by a group who is given more credibility because they are the animal cops and most ordinary peopel have no experience in courts and defending themselves and no huge amounts of money to pay for legal fees. If you are found not guilty you are so relieved and terrified of bringing it on again so you shut up if you are found guilty you are a crook and its sour grapes.

Do you know as evidenced on Bleats website which tells of convictions the RSPCA have been able to procure that one woman was found guilty of animal cruelty , fined 1000 dollars for killing a rat ? She put it in the freezer to kill it. God help the people around here who snap their necks and backs in traps!

So whats wrong with the RSPCA ? The state governments.

Edited by Steve

By allowing the RSPCA the power it has - which gets stronger everyday - without the ability to monitor it and make it accountable it places us right back where we were prior to anti corruption legislation

Excuse me Steve - I'll just bold that for you. Sums it up nicely and deserves to be quoted

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...&hl=warning

This will demonstrate nicely - while you read it consider this.

The posts by alanglen - an ex RSPCA vet.

The fact that this woman is still in court over this.

How that may have turned out if we hadnt of kicked and screamed about it as much as we did and organised legal help to get the dogs back.

100 % it couldnt have happened if someone in state government had an ounce of common sense.

and if Dogs Vic had of not been so lilly livered and had stood against the bullshit legislation when it was being pushed through

instead of playing crap games and "being nice"

There is no regulation, and accountability is apparently only internal to the body with the power - a recipe for disaster methinks...

The power seems to be exercised only when it serves to create revenue for the body in question...

T.

Many issues, as posted.

Sometimes they can do a wonderful job but so often they get it wrong.

Staff do as they are told its the administration & their policies that is the problem.

More money should be spent on the animals, the euthanasia rates need to, & can be, lessened. So many good animals never get out of there & end up PTS.

So much money, that the public donate, is wasted on interfering with matters that are not the main concern & decisions are ineffectual & incorrect.

The public don't know what goes on behind the scenes. They really do need to be answerable to someone & not a law unto themselves. Like any organisation there is good & bad.

I would donate your money elsewhere but do check them out.

They are getting it wrong a bit too often now & becoming very political. Its supposed to be preventing cruelty & saving lives.

What is, and what should be the role of government (and the RSPCA) in peoples lives?

Do you feel that you have lost your voice?

Do you feel that members of these elites (far left animal rights groups) have too much control in both major political parties?

Do you think that real choices that would actually work —making life (and dogs lives) better— are never presented?

There is group of people in Australia that have already stood up to fight for their rights of animal ownership, reduced governemet interference and stop reveune expolitation.

All it takes for a few wackos to wreck your life is for all the good people to do nothing about it.

(someone else said that I have not quoted correctly nor can I remember who it was, but you get the point)

Edited by shortstep