Eating Bedding.

matilda1

My boy was a chronic bed chewer. In the end I got some vet bed and stuck it in there, thinking that if he chews it up thats fine, its easy enough to replace.

The bugger hasn't touched it and seems quite happy to just sleep on it rather than chew it up. Go figure!

Katie seems to have stopped pooping blanket :)

However she is now pooping some blue and red chew toy which I have no idea where it came from.

She's a foreign body waiting to happen. She digs giant craters in the dog run and finds all sorts of stuff which was buried in the 1800's. She should have been an archeologist.

I have been feeding her really yucky horrible cheap tinned food for the last 4 meals as I know it will make her poo sloppy and get things pushed through. This worked well and she is back on dry food now.

I am confident it's all out :rofl:

I can't believe the crap this dog ingests and manages to push through without any problems. I think I have been very lucky. I do of course have her insured and basically have work on stand-by to go in for an ex-lap if need be :mad

But no....she's fine.

She actually seems to like her newspaper bedding. I used to have to PUSH her into her crate at bed time and now she just strolls in on her own free will. So I figure she likes it.

you need to exhaust that dog some more, crating is just causing frustration and she's learned to redirect onto her bedding.

Leave her on newspaper but put in a big marrow bone so if she feels like something to chew she has something good for her at least. The dog should be really tired before you put her in the crate and keep an eye, if she's bored let her out and do some training or brain exercise. Thats how I fix chewers, they stop pretty quickly if they learn crate = bed time

Does she only chew it when you are not around? If she will do it in front of you I would suggest trying to train her out of it with rewards, ie. spend the weekend watching her like a hawk telling her to stop and rewarding her when she does. If necessary put soft bedding in all her beds and the minute she starts begin the training. It would mean a weekend at home though and no bedding when you can't watch her.

she's always exhausted by the time she goes to bed.

She and our Kelpie run for ages in the back yard each night when we get home and they spend their days in a large dog run playing and digging holes all day long. They get plenty of mental and physical stimulation. We take them on walks, hikes and they go sheep herding.

She never does it in front of us.

She sleeps in her crate. (as do all our dogs, 4 neat crates lined up in a row)

So she must do it at some stage through the night.

I never hear anything, she doesn't need to go to the toilet and there is no crying.

She also has her indestructable kong and chew toys in the crate with her. Which are well loved and chewed at other times but clearly the bedding wins.

She hasn't eaten any newspaper though :thumbsup:

she's always exhausted by the time she goes to bed.

She and our Kelpie run for ages in the back yard each night when we get home and they spend their days in a large dog run playing and digging holes all day long. They get plenty of mental and physical stimulation. We take them on walks, hikes and they go sheep herding.

She never does it in front of us.

She sleeps in her crate. (as do all our dogs, 4 neat crates lined up in a row)

So she must do it at some stage through the night.

I never hear anything, she doesn't need to go to the toilet and there is no crying.

She also has her indestructable kong and chew toys in the crate with her. Which are well loved and chewed at other times but clearly the bedding wins.She hasn't eaten any newspaper though :laugh:

Thanks Paul, already doing this.

She is just a chewer of things undesirable.

She has now started eating tan bark from the garden :eek:

Newspaper until she grows up ;)

newspaper is warm... and cheap, and nowhere near as satisfying to rip/chew!

I have Bull Terriers who beg to differ Pers :wave: newspaper is AWESOME fun to rip and shred and throw around allllllll night, much more fun than bedding that doesnt make any noise! :eek: I have ratbags :D

I have a holy terror who will shred and eat pretty much all bedding.

The only thing we have had success with is the vet bed/dry bed. It's all he gets now in his crate and in the trailer. Hasn't trashed a single piece (nor ingested any). Oh and off cuts make great puppy play toys!