Bone Meal

cj-b

Yes it is for him, and he can't eat raw solid bone. He is intolerant to chix, gives him the runs or makes him vomit, so can't use necks or wings.

I'm wanting to add some to his home made mixture, and can't find a butcher that will ground any other bone except chix carcuss.

It's very popular in the States, but can't seem to find some here.

Does anyone know if it's available on it's own.

He can't chew it, or he won't, but it will sit there until it starts to rott, then I worry about my kids handling it. I think it maybe have been to solid, as he would tackle the chix necks but they would give him either the runs or he would vomit it back up straight away.

Have tried lamb flaps & shanks, turkey necks, chix necks and wings wings, beef brisket & marrow and he either won't touch them or they will give him the runs or make him voimit.

Do you have another suggestions???? I'm keen to try more. He is a bugger.

thanks smooch, I will investigate :thumbsup:

Sandra, good idea, there is a butcher at the end of the street, might have a chat to them about the shavings. Otherwise if I don't have any success with smooch's idea I think I will have to go with the calcium powder, I guess at the end of the day, it's the same thing, sort of :rasberry:

If it is purely the calcium you want to esnure he gets I have a fabulous and cheap method that was told to me.

Don't throw your eggshells away. Instead, break them up and microwave them until they become really brittle. I can't recall how long I did them for, but they were very brittle and I think it was literally only a minute or two. You then crush them up in a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin. The more you do it, the finer the powder.

I think I had 4 shells in total and it made heaps of powder. When I am feeding just plain mince, I will sprinkle about teaspoon of this powder on the mince to every kilo of meat.