Wolves In Chinese Cresteds Clothing

yellowgirl

I'd been home for about 10 minutes when I noticed a spot of blood on one of the lounge blankets last night. I checked 4 mouths, 4 bodies and 16 feet but couldn't find any injuries. Pepper was acting a bit funny and jumped on the other lounge, as I went to check her again I saw one of the dog beds had fallen off the lounge. I went to pick it up and nearly wet myself cos I thought there was a snake in it! :thumbsup:

This is what I saw!

2010_1106november0001.jpg

It's a dead lizard! Big bugger too. Somehow my pack of wild dogs got it from outside, through the doggy door, up onto the lounge and into the dog bed. Poor thing had lost a tail, half a head and 2 back legs :rasberry:

Wish I had a video camera set up at home, I would have loved to have seen what happened and who was involved.

... The lizard has been appropriately blessed and laid to rest

edited to change subtitle

Edited by yellowgirl

My thoughts exactly!!!! I'm a bit snake sensative this time of year!
Oh what fun for the dogs... it would not last very long with two foxies in my backyard either. RIP lizard.

And the poor dogs wouldn't have lasted long had it been a snake!!

Me too, I more than a bit sensetive at the moment especially since i squished one in a gate I had just walked through at my head height!

That would have freaked me out as well. Anything that is black, dark brown or has scales has me moving backwards at a very fast rate of knots before my brain has a change to kick in and come up with an identity!

Unbelievable!! I found another one yesterday under a different dog bed... this one was alive! I'm not sure if the dogs brought it in at the same time as the other one, I hadn't checked or washed this particular bed, so when Sarge was acting silly around it I assumed it was part of his dementia and he was getting confused by a little leaf that was on it, so I picked it up to give it a shake outside .... eek ! :D angry lizard underneath hissing at me! This one had lost his tail (I assumed the tail segment I found in the back yard was from the other one) and there was a bit of blood around him.

No time for photos, I ran like a big girl to my manly neighbour who came and picked up the lizard and took him to his house to look after. There was a small wound on his tummy and he was probably a bit dehydrated but he should be okay :mad

Me too, I more than a bit sensetive at the moment especially since i squished one in a gate I had just walked through at my head height!

That would have freaked me out as well. Anything that is black, dark brown or has scales has me moving backwards at a very fast rate of knots before my brain has a change to kick in and come up with an identity!

:D OSoSwift!!

Unbelievable!! I found another one yesterday under a different dog bed... this one was alive! I'm not sure if the dogs brought it in at the same time as the other one, I hadn't checked or washed this particular bed, so when Sarge was acting silly around it I assumed it was part of his dementia and he was getting confused by a little leaf that was on it, so I picked it up to give it a shake outside .... eek ! :D angry lizard underneath hissing at me! This one had lost his tail (I assumed the tail segment I found in the back yard was from the other one) and there was a bit of blood around him.

No time for photos, I ran like a big girl to my manly neighbour who came and picked up the lizard and took him to his house to look after. There was a small wound on his tummy and he was probably a bit dehydrated but he should be okay :mad

:D OSoSwift!!

Doesn't anyone feel any responsibility or regret at the toll on the wildlife? There was some research a little while back about the decline in blue tongue lizard numbers in Sydney esp. the lack of young blueys. (Yes, own dogs--I have four dogs and two cats. The cats are inside only.)

Di

Of course. It's a shame that the dogs got hold of two lizards, and I hope the second one survives. I posted because apparently inside these four little Chinese Cresteds is the heart of a wild dog which will chase and catch prey. It wasn't to laugh at the fact they'd killed or injured wildlife.

I have the backs of the sheds blocked off for lizards, etc but what can I do if they venture out and are seen by the dogs?

I'm very glad that none of the dogs were bitten, and that it wasn't actually a snake they got hold of!

Glad to hear your cats are inside cats Di :mad

i found a bluey some weeks back but thankfully my 2 swfs didn't know what to do with it --- i knew what to do; call my OH! but he was at work and i decided to lock the cat inside and take the 2 dogs for a long walk --- that gave bluey time to extricate hisself :D

kitty likes to chase and take hostage the wee skinks i think they are --- i find them on the floor in back, upside down, dead :rolleyes:

i hate that these wee guys have to suffer and as i scoop 'em up i very gently with a finger massage it's heart --- it'll scare me shitless if i ever brought one back to life! i grab a teaspoon and dig a wee hole in the front garden, bury 'em there, say a few words, curse kitties the world over :rofl:

Yep got my heart rate up!

LAst summer we had a stinker of a day and I was going out regularly and changing frozen bottle for the Guinea PIgs and watering around and over their hutch.

In a little bit of grass behing the hutch was a blue tounge sharing the sahde of the tree the piggies were under. It was around 44 with a hot northerly.

Poor lizard looked hot so I watered over hima nd some water collected in a large leaf near his head. He had a lovely drink and when I went out there an hour later he was gone. I hope I made him feel better :laugh:

Even though they make me jump when they move near me I quite like my little lizards.

Oh :(. That poor lizard. How sad.

I love the blueys.

And the stumpy tails.

um, arent't they the same thing!?!?

the one in our garden was stumpy tailed with a blue tongue!

Possibly - but the way I know them is I refer to "Blue Tongue Lizards" as being the ones with a tail. And I refer to those who have a stump as the "Stumpy Tail". :o . Someone else would know better than I, I'm sure :(

Oh :(. That poor lizard. How sad.

I love the blueys.

And the stumpy tails.

um, aren't they the same thing!?!?

the one in our garden was stumpy tailed with a blue tongue!

Possibly - but the way I know them is I refer to "Blue Tongue Lizards" as being the ones with a tail. And I refer to those who have a stump as the "Stumpy Tail". :o . Someone else would know better than I, I'm sure :(

:D

k, so i googled blue-tongued lizards [aka skinks]! and then i googled stumpy tailed lizards! and it's likely the one i had in my back yard was the bob-tailed blue tongue aka shingleback but aka bob-tailed lizard, sleepy lizard or stumpy-tailed lizard :)

wow! i did not know that!

EFS

Edited by Skruffy n Flea