Different/unusual Breeds In Dog Sports

huski

I don't think Dalmatians are traditionally seen as 'obedience' dogs.......having a working line pup in the house makes me appreciate the challenges of training a Dally but I hope he has made me a better trainer.

Obedienceday-heeling.jpg

Obedienceday-recall.jpg

Once you work out what makes them tick, they are eminently suited to agility :mad They can be athletic and fast. You just have to work on the focus!

YarrowfellHighSocietyCCD.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a St Bernard doing agility here, they only enter occasionally, amazing to watch though! Here he is at the Royal:

100927-njp-28.JPG

http://www.yourdogphotos.com/

Not sure I'd consider my two too unsual since there are both Manchester and Tenterfield Ag Ch's, but I do have the only Tentie trialling in WA at the moment, with mixed results :mad

Papillons seem to be the standard 200 agility dog, we have 2 trialling here in WA currently.

I love seeing different breeds out there doing agility, one of my favourites is Whippets, they do it so gracefully.

This is my Jack, now passed on. HE is Ridgeback cross Malinois. He raced with Cookie and they passed each other in the lineup. Jack often went over the top of Cookie. Cookie is a rescue and he is supposed to be a pom x sheltie.

Ridgeback x

3440017822_6fee28832a.jpg

Not sure if Cookie is a Pom x or a German Spitz or what. Someone may know her and be able to help me out LOL

3439205483_fd892e0746.jpg

Offtopic but the sooner people stop using those front of body crossing flyball harneses the better. They really do restrict a dog's front movement. :rolleyes:

Yes I agree with you however my Jack would not run unless he had his harness on. If he wasn't dressed for the occasion it was just training and he'd wander off and do his own thing. Put the harness on and he never put a foot wrong. I don't use a harness on my Kelpie

Today I watched a pug and a westie do flyball, neither were extremely fast but they both had the crowd behind them. I think the presenter mentioned it was the only pug or one of the few pugs to do flyball in australia so it was interesting to watch.

Daisy is the only Pug currently competing in Flyball - but not for long :-) and yes that was her at the Dogs Day out in Belconnen. Warming up for a Competition in a few weeks.

Here are my guys.

Trigger (Min Pin) - Dual Ch Kimico Spring Tension FDCh

post-5267-1289284298_thumb.jpg

Magnus (Dally) - Dual Ch Yarrowfell Gold CCD AFCh ET

post-5267-1289284306_thumb.jpg

Daisy (Pug) - Dual Ch Yarrowfell Wicked in Silk CCD FDCh

post-5267-1289284318_thumb.jpg

Magnus and Daisy are about to compete in their first Doggy Dancing competitons in a few weeks as well.

• 1 month later...

I have ran pointers in agility obedience and tracking. Will be starting a new pointer in the new year. I am running 2 cardi corgi at the moment. Pirate the pointer is doing a raid on the Christmas tree at the moment. :wave:

And my guys... Soaks is the first and only Finnish Lapphund in Australia to compete in Flyball

1013393303_DfMCg-M.jpg

And the Flying Fuzz himself

1013391654_gkKrA-M.jpg

You can almost hear Soaks' "Weeeee!", she just looks sooo happy here.

Jedi's soundtrack is more a superhero theme "da da da daaaaa! I leap over tall buildings in a single bound, I'm so cool" :)

As Terranik said, the harnesses dont restrict movement unless they are incorrectly fitted

I'd rather the harness than my dog strangling themselves on a collar, they pull damn hard at flyball

Currently there are 3 staffords competing in flyball in vic, my 2 and one for keilor, there have been 3 others who retired this year as well, so not alot for a breed that is so popular

I think Ed is the fastest stafford, his PB is 4.691

I love seeing the dobes run in the SA team

Yeah Jedi really looks like he needs a cape! ;)

Do you have any agility or flyball videos on your youtube TerraNik? I'd love to see your two in action!

Yep I do...

Jedi got his first title at this comp (he was still a bit green!!)... And yes, I'm a girl - My ex was running Jedi --

And here's Soaks at the same comp (again, being run by someone else)...

I can't remember why I wasn't at that comp :)

I don't have much agility... I've only just started videoing...

Here's Jedi doing some 2x2 weave training (our most recent video) -

And some serpentines and front/rear crosses -

And Soaks' most recent 2x2 vid -

Nice PB, Shoe!!! :laugh:

Ahsoka's PB is 5.6 I think... Hoping to get her down to the early 5's.

I haven't been looking at Jedi's times yet. :rofl:

Edited by TerraNik

Yeah Molly's PB is 5.4 lol! She avg about 6-6.5 though haha, she's not quite like Ed!

At Nats a friend was watching her and someone in the crowd said 'oh I think this is the really fast staffy" then she ran and they said "oh nope, thats not the one" :laugh: poor Molly!

Here's Ed and a few others in his team, a border :) a lab and a little terrier

Edited by shoemonster

Yeah Molly's PB is 5.4 lol! She avg about 6-6.5 though haha, she's not quite like Ed!

At Nats a friend was watching her and someone in the crowd said 'oh I think this is the really fast staffy" then she ran and they said "oh nope, thats not the one" :laugh: poor Molly!

Here's Ed and a few others in his team, a border ;) a lab and a little terrier

:) Love it!

Goooo Eddy!