Best Shampoo To Use On Your Dogs?

BMAK

I am currently using ALOVEEN shampoo and do like using it and my dogs are on premium kibble/and raw diet with veggies etc.

I have used many brands of shampoo but would like to find a brand that works for both dogs coat.

both are kelpies with a double coat one is more wirery on top and the other dog's coat is soft and thicker i would like to to find one that can clean the coat out but doesn't dry it out and doesn't leave an oily residue like some medicated shampoo's can and also nice smelling. they come out with a shiny coat when i wash/groom them as well as i add a coat spray or conditioner when they look a bit dirty instead of washing.

WHAT BREED OF DOG DO YOU HAVE?

TYPE OF COAT?

WHAT DO YOU USE?

AND DOES IT WORK?

My dogs tend to get dry skin quite easily (i give them some entrichments of different oils in their diet but still not enough) as they love swimming beach, pool, and mud puddles at parks i want them to be clean but i don't like washing them everytime they get wet because of the natural oils so when they go to the beach and i rinse them off with clean water i want a shampoo they arnt left with a dry coat after repeditive rinsing so now looking for a good brand of shampoo.

All ideas welcome.

I think I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't like Aloveen. I think its very expensive and does a pretty ordinary job. :rofl:

On both the Whippet and the Poodles, my current favourite is the Groomers Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo - great for skin and coat. :rolleyes: It certainly leaves your hands feeling great and it doesn't have any dreadful floral reek either.

I've also used and like Plush Puppy, Fidos and Chris Christensen shampoos.

PF I'm not fussed on Aloveen either. Agree that i costs alot and doesn't do anything better than a cheaper shampoo would do.

I have also used Plush puppy and Fidos and both were ok.

I have recently started using Aristopet Flea & Tick Shampoo. It's fairly cheap, soap free and I got it because the dogs started getting ticks on them and Frontline/Advantix doesn't seem to work for me. So far am very happy with it. My guys get washed weekly as they are inside alot and it hasn't dried out their coats and there is a variety of coats here! I have 2 JRT's (1 is X Chi), a Maltese X Shih Tzu, Amstaff X and a Dobermann.

Oh, and haven't seen a tick since we started using it!

I really like the PAW pure animal

wellbeing products. When Tillys allergies flare up I use the gentle oatmeal one which I think is the gentlest one of them and when she's fine I use the rose and sandlewood? one. I can't remember what one it is exactly but yeah. They're natural and i'm pretty sure there are

no major nasties in them.

I also know NEEMpet products are quite good, you can use them on skin conditions and sores.

I am not overly fussed about Aloveen either, it does smell nice, but i think for the price you can get others that are better.

I have WHippets and an old Stafford and use Plush Puppy Whitening shampoo on Lewis and The conditioning one on Rommi, The stafoord gets whatever I have in my hands at the time!.

I also wait until they are dry and put Plush Puppy reviva coat on them, they feel lovely and sodt, but not sticky.

I would like to try Chris Christiansen (I think that is right!) White on White for Lewis as he looks lovely when sparkly white. I am waiting until my PP runs out which won't be for ages.

WHAT BREED OF DOG DO YOU HAVE?

Dobermann

TYPE OF COAT?

Short.

WHAT DO YOU USE?

My preference at the moment is Dermcare Natural Shampoo. Followed by vinegar rinse. And rinsed agian with water.

And some Pyohex cream after rubbed into the back area just froward of the tail where she still seems to get some flaky/itchy stuff. We used Pyohex Shampoo, and later Maleseb for a while. That took care of most of thst itchy/flaky stuff bu that one area has been stubborn.

AND DOES IT WORK?

Pretty well, I guess.

I also don't like the Aloveen.

I am ordering something new to try as well.

It's an anti allergy treatment - for the OWNER'S allergy, not the dog's allergy. :laugh:

I like Aloveen as it was the only shampoo I could find that got rid of foul dead fish they had been rolling in!

They don't get bathed much though - a couple of times a year - only when have rolled in something really smelly that won't come out with a swim in the ocean!

Two Labrador x Golden Retrievers.

post-16337-1289217947_thumb.jpg

I love the Fido's white n Bright on Zac, we don't wash him much though, we usually pay someone else to do it but on the odd occasions we have, he came up great.

I've used the Fido's black shampoo on Shishka and she looks AMAZING when I use it. The coat is lovely and shiny.

I love Isle of Dogs. I use the vet grade evening primrose oil and my dogs coats have never looked and felt better. I am very happy with this. I have tried Chris Christensen as well as Groomers. I think it is the extra strength evening primrose that probably makes the difference.

I love Isle of Dogs. I use the vet grade evening primrose oil and my dogs coats have never looked and felt better. I am very happy with this. I have tried Chris Christensen as well as Groomers. I think it is the extra strength evening primrose that probably makes the difference.

I use the vet grade Groomers one!

Ososwift I use goats milk soap and the CC white on white on Howies legs. Sure makes them white!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also curious on what other people use.

I have tried Aloveen, and find it a bit ordinary. The only product I do like is their conditioner- which I use on my Japanese Spitz to make him smell a bit nicer if he hadn't had a bath for a while. :(

I have tried Fidos (the purple one) and that was quite good and smelt ok as well...

Curious to know whether "groomers" products out there and more pro stuff sold at shows etc would be better to use on my white dog?

I don't care much for aloveen either - I bought a small bottle once and didn't finish it :) It gave my old dog dandruff. I prefer using Moogoo, or I have a Fido's black one for Trixie and a Blue one for Kyzer. I use a coat oil rinse afterwards, I find it works better than a cream conditioner.

Both of my dogs have short single coats.

I'm really interested in this thread too.

I am currently using Malaseb for one of my dogs as he has quite bad dry, flaky skin. It has just come up recently and is quite bad. Started out as patches of red weepy sores and now big crusty patches. The vet said probably an allergy but I suspect now probably a staph/yeast infection.

Malaseb shampoo and then Aloveen conditioner to try and get some oils into the coat.

I'd be open to other stuff too once the worst of it is cleared.

I recently had an alternative chiro vet swear by Martha Gardiner's Wool Wash. I'm not so sure though as it's a laundry detergent?? I've read various other forums where people swear by it but I'm just wondering for my guy with a skin condition could it be any good? I don't want to make it any worse.

I think I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't like Aloveen. I think its very expensive and does a pretty ordinary job. :o

.........I've also used and like Plush Puppy, Fidos and Chris Christensen shampoos.

I am not fussed on Aloveen either.

I do like, use and recommend Plush Puppy, Fido's and Chris Christensen. They are good quality products and do the job well IMO :eek:

I don't use a conditioner as such either - I use Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil which I adore. I love the Fido's herbal rinse as well.

I have Pyrenean Mountain Dogs - big white double coats!...and we have lots of red dirt/mud.... :)

(we also have a GSDxKelpie who is easy to maintain in comparison)

I'm really interested in this thread too.

I am currently using Malaseb for one of my dogs as he has quite bad dry, flaky skin. It has just come up recently and is quite bad. Started out as patches of red weepy sores and now big crusty patches. The vet said probably an allergy but I suspect now probably a staph/yeast infection.

Malaseb shampoo and then Aloveen conditioner to try and get some oils into the coat.

I'd be open to other stuff too once the worst of it is cleared.

I recently had an alternative chiro vet swear by Martha Gardiner's Wool Wash. I'm not so sure though as it's a laundry detergent?? I've read various other forums where people swear by it but I'm just wondering for my guy with a skin condition could it be any good? I don't want to make it any worse.

Hi Baker-girl

My vet says most dogs are allergic to most grasses? So I wonder if the sores are recent could it be a 'spring grass' reaction?

Have you tried fish-oil tablets to help keep the oil on the coats of my dogs - I swear by it - my Labs coats seem to glow when I have them on it. Plus I use Nutro this feed seems to have improved their coats and general condition also. Mind you they get raw meat and raw veggies as well - infact the little treasures have a better diet than I have. :rofl:

As for shampoo - I have short coated woofa's and generally I use Fido's which I think is great.

Edited by Tapua

My old girl was a border collie/kelpie cross with the double coat, medium long. I found the best thing to wash her with was olive oil soap for humans, available in Safeway/Woolies. It is a bit hard to get going unless you get the coat really wet but it is extremely easy to rinse out and doesn't leave a residue. She always had a shiny soft coat.

However with my mini poodle boy I found the olive oil soap was not cleaning his coat and it was looking a bit dull. Before I started looking for a shampoo, my local Safeway started stocking Rufus and Coco normal shampoo and I grabbed a bottle. I have washed him twice with it and it gets an embarassingly large amount of dirt out of his coat and leave hims soft and shiny. I am very impressed with it.

I use Chris Chrisensen shampoos atm on my Border Collies - but also like and have used EzyGroom Protein Lanolin - the puppy tearless one for puppies. Really happy with the effect of the CC Black on Black for my boy's black - still not 100% convinced about the white one.

• 6 months later...

Just wondering, is it okay not to use a conditioner?

My Kelpie pup is a tad itchy in certain areas (paws, neck) and though we use an oatmeal based shampoo for dogs, have yet to get any conditioners. He just had his second bath, so I'm still seeing if its the right product for him.