Frontline

Ugh fleas! Saw one on Daisy Oct 29th, so got some Frontline Plus the next day and applied. 2 days later she was at the groomers and washed and clipped short as she was booked in. It's now been 10 days since the frontline was applied and I've just picked 3 fleas of her!

Vets say don't re-apply sooner than 2 weeks, what do you guys think? Do I just wait out the next few days, or would you re-apply given virtually all her coat was removed at the clip? Or what else can I use in the meantime?

Cheers :rolleyes:

ps The other animals were all treated at the same time.

In my experience (have worked as a vet nurse, managed a pet shop and been a dog groomer so have spoken to ALOT of people over the years) the general opinion is that Frontline doesn't work very well at all.

The only people that have recommended it have been vets that don't know me and are trying to get me to buy it.

Fortunately for me we haven't had a problem with fleas in over 5 years. I do not use any of those kind of products on my pets with any kind of regularity.

In the first week of living here in Darwin I was pulling ticks (not paralysis) off my dogs daily. Three had been treated with Frontline and 2 with Advantix (just what I had in the cupboard). I purchased Aristopet Flea & Tick Shampoo and have not seen any more ticks on the dogs since washing them in it. It is soap free so can be used in conjunction with Frontline/Advantix etc if you want to use th0ose products as well.

Its not that the frontline is not working its the fact the dog is being re-infected . I would be looking at getting your house sprayed and making sure all pets are treated at the same time including cats if you have them.

Frontline spray works alot better than the top spot as it adhears to the coat, the top spot travels in the oil glands in the dogs skin.

If all else fails comfortis works very well but does not cover against ticks.

Its not that the frontline is not working its the fact the dog is being re-infected . I would be looking at getting your house sprayed and making sure all pets are treated at the same time including cats if you have them.

The thing is we've just moved to this house a month ago, no carpets here, all wood and tiles, and we treated our furniture before it was put on the container in the uk. I have a sneaky feeling it's coming from Indy the cat who is finding comfy sleeping places outside......

I used this in the uk to treat furnishings, what would be a similar product here?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-hou...500ml-can-p-677

I use a separate product for worming, so don't want to use an all-in-one type spot on, or an internal product for treating fleas :laugh:

Frontline spray works alot better than the top spot as it adhears to the coat, the top spot travels in the oil glands in the dogs skin.

If all else fails comfortis works very well but does not cover against ticks.

I agree that the spray works better than the spot ons, however I have seen with my very own eyes Frontline put on a dog with fleas and minutes, hours and days later the fleas still crawling around happily non the worse for wear. Over the years I have heard many hundreds of complaints about the product from many different people including vets and other professionals in the pet industry.

I once worked for a lady (as a groomer) and she swore by the stuff, used to sell and promote it to customers like nobodys business and used it on her own dogs as regular as clockwork. Her dogs always seemed to have fleas though?

Frontline simply doesn't work for fleas. I stopped using it quite a few years ago.

I now use Advantage or Advocate. Won't use Sentinel for instance because it just sterilises fleas and I don't want fleas on my dogs, full stop.

Advantage is great but you still need to cover Heartworm protection so I prefer Advocate which covers fleas, heartworm, worming (not tapeworm), lice and mites - fantastic!

I buy it on: www.pricelesspets.com.au - it's much cheaper than vets or petshop but there are other websites you should check out for deals etc.

If you also need to cover ticks, I'd recommend buying a tick collar or look at Advantix.