Books Or Dvds On Agility

Ons

can anyone recommend any?

Pup is only 5 days old at the moment so plenty of time but when I get her at 8 weeks old I want to start a little bit of age appropriate training straight away with the view when she is about 18 months old starting her on agility. There really isn't an agility dogtraining place nearby unless the localish dog training club has changed.

thank you :hug:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can anyone recommend any?

Pup is only 5 days old at the moment so plenty of time but when I get her at 8 weeks old I want to start a little bit of age appropriate training straight away with the view when she is about 18 months old starting her on agility. There really isn't an agility dogtraining place nearby unless the localish dog training club has changed.

thank you :hug:

We absolutely need to know the breed and see pictures of the puppy when possible. :o

The books agility right from the start or shaping success come to mind.

Ons...............................................

I think you forgot to share puppy news

whoops, I kind of hinted on Facebook. :o ;) ;)

one little coolie coming my way :laugh: having been to the National Trials at Tamworth I thought how much fun it would be and my friend who breeds coolies is very encouraging as it gets her dogs "more out there". I have my eye on one little girl that is dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate coloured :hug: she is gorgeous but I do have a pick of 8 from that litter and 10 from another litter.

thanks everyone, I'll do some searching :cry:

maybe I should also ask

how would you choose a pup with agility in mind? My plan is in a few weeks to spend a day with the pups and see who is the most responsive :cry:

I have no experience in Trailling or agility yet Ons

But.......

I have choosen a pup that is showing a fair amount of focus and outgoingness

I have let my breeder know what I want and if my pup doesnt measure up as it grows in the first 8 weeks he will pick another pup more suitable for me :hug:

Ons, Message me on FB and let me know the breeder please, we can shar waiting for puppy news together

how would you choose a pup with agility in mind? My plan is in a few weeks to spend a day with the pups and see who is the most responsive :cheer:

That's a good plan, but for me - I know that I wouldn't be able to select the best so I chose a breeder I trusted and asked her for the 'right' puppy. :D

how would you choose a pup with agility in mind? My plan is in a few weeks to spend a day with the pups and see who is the most responsive :cheer:

Conformation - will help keep a dog sound

Confidence/resilience - a pup that bounces back from being startled is a good indicator

People focus

Drive

As you have access to the whole litter, I'd suggest Volhard Puppy Testing them at 7 weeks. That's basically a test of social confidence. The results may help you select the right pup.

This is a good book Agility Right from the Start - starts of with heaps of stuff to do with a puppy - ground work, games etc.

Dogwise are starting to sell ebooks now too and the list is growing - ebooks

You can also download a free copy of 'Click & Play Agility' from here -> Agility Nerd

I like a lot of the ideas from this DVD - Foundation Training for Agility

Some puppy specific ones -> The Focused Puppy -> Pre Sports Puppy -> Beginning Obstacle Skills

There's heaps of stuff out there when you go looking :cheer:

Edited by westielover

This is a good book Agility Right from the Start - starts of with heaps of stuff to do with a puppy - ground work, games etc.

Dogwise are starting to sell ebooks now too and the list is growing - ebooks

You can also download a free copy of 'Click & Play Agility' from here -> Agility Nerd

I like a lot of the ideas from this DVD - Foundation Training for Agility

Some puppy specific ones -> The Focused Puppy -> Pre Sports Puppy -> Beginning Obstacle Skills

There's heaps of stuff out there when you go looking :D

:o Great selection, westielover - I especially love the Moe Strenfel DVDs Foundation Training for Agility

and the Focussed Puppy is good too.

You're in for lots of fun onsntillnflash

Sheena, I note that you are from Northern NSW. I'm from North West NSW near Tamworth. Am I anywhere near you?

:heart:

We are over near Coffs Harbour, on a cattle farm. We came out to Tamworth for their trials last year including the ADAA Grand Prix & then spent some time up at Manilla, where OH went paragliding. It looked like so much fun I want to do it next year, even though I have a phobia about heights :D

Clean Run have a new DVD on free postage at present...it is a six DVD set on Foundation Training for just $74.95. If I didn't already have a bookcase full of DVD's then I would buy it.....I am still tempted :heart:

Here's the link

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=449

A good book to get before you choose your pup would be The Focused Puppy, also on free postage. I have the book, but honestly, I think I will just have to trust the breeder to choose one for me, when I get my new pup (can't wait)

• 2 weeks later...
Sheena : I was looking at getting that DVD set too. I've not purchased from them before. Do we Aussie folk just pay the price listed? Do we need to convert payment amts re exchange rate?? I couldn't find anywhere that did that on the site *shrugs*

It's in US dollars but now's the time to buy from the US with our dollar being so good :laugh: