Laid-back Dogs Needed For Eeg Study

tjhowell

@dancinbcs -- Good point. I think in cases like these it would really be down to the owner's knowledge of their own dogs. We asked for dogs that don't mind being vaccinated, because more dogs have probably been vaccinated than would have received acupuncture. Of course, in a case like yours, it sounds like your dog would be fine. It's a shame you're not closer.

Two of my dogs have had acupuncture and they are very relaxed during that........I must admit that it is a lot to do with who does things to the dog and how relaxed some owners are. But some breeds are more relaxed. I just know that at our NSW newfie days most dogs are off lead, dogs have never met one another before ( or only at a previous newfie day) and everyone seems to cruise :laugh: Including my Border Collie cross

@Megan -- unfortunately yes, we need larger dogs than MS or mini poodles.

@Bilbo -- the cavvies are too small, but the shepherd could work. Please email me if you'd like more information or to chat in depth about the study.

@anniek -- greyhounds would be perfect, except their head shape is too elongated. A recent study showed that the brain actually changes shape when a dog has a very long nose or a very short one. In follow-up studies, we hope to look at these differences.

@Tatelina -- thanks! I need all the luck I can get!

@The Spotted Devil -- thanks very much for your kind words ;) Where did we meet?

@mita -- if we do more research on small dogs, your Tibby would be perfect :vomit:

@newfsie -- good point indeed. I didn't realise acupuncture was so popular on here.

@SilverHaze -- your husky sounds great. Please email if you'd like more information. I'd love to meet you and your dog.

For everyone, the reason we have to be so picky about what breeds/breed types to use is that this is the first study of this kind, and any large variation in head size or shape could throw off the results. At first, we were only going to work with one breed, but that was too restrictive, so instead we will use any dog that is large and has a medium-shaped head (not too long-nosed or too flat-faced). In future studies, we'll hope to extend this out a bit and look for breed, size, or head shape differences and I'll be on here recruiting y'all again!

My Onslow, a golden retreiver, would be a perfect candidate. Sometimes I feel if he got more relaxed he would be in a coma ;) and he is like that whether we are at home or out and about. Sadly we live too far away, he could go for a holiday to his Aunty Lou who does live in Melbourne but I think he would miss his mummy too much :vomit:

Good luck with all the research!

@onsntillnflash -- yes, Onslow would be good, but you are unfortunately two states away, so I can understand that's it's not really convenient for you to come down for the study :D hehe

@The Spotted Devil -- Yes! I remember that (vaguely -- because I think you spoke right after me and I was so nervous before and during my talk that it took me about 10 minutes to settle down afterward). I look forward to hearing more about your research. :D

@ash&elar -- we are willing to work with you on the timing, but as a general preference we are trying to go for testing in early- to mid-afternoon during the week.

@mita -- if we do more research on small dogs, your Tibby would be perfect :D

If you ever get up (or down! :D ) to small dogs, I can give you the contact for the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria. There you'd find heaps of Buddhist tibbies who can go into the calm zone, right from birth.

I can't resist posting this pic of a baby tib & a passing relative flat out 'meditating'.

In the meantime, I'm sure your study will go well & be a useful addition to the research literature. :D

post-3304-1289533276_thumb.jpg

@mita -- if we do more research on small dogs, your Tibby would be perfect :D

If you ever get up (or down! :D ) to small dogs, I can give you the contact for the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria. There you'd find heaps of Buddhist tibbies who can go into the calm zone, right from birth.

I can't resist posting this pic of a baby tib & a passing relative flat out 'meditating'.

In the meantime, I'm sure your study will go well & be a useful addition to the research literature. :D

post-3304-1289533276_thumb.jpg

ha! How cute! I love it :cheer:

I took 2 of my GSDs to Melbourne to participate in this study today. If anyone was considering it but was a bit hesitant, my dogs didn't even notice the tiny needles and all they were required to do was fall asleep! The whole thing was completely stress free for the dogs and myself :thumbsup: Its a nice feeling to have helped out, in this instance and perhaps other dogs in the future with the findings of the research

I have a male German shepherd that is very laid back and will go to sleep anywhere (as long as he doesn't think he's missing out on a cuddle!).

I'm a couple of hours away, but do go to Melbourne every couple of weeks depending on how much longer you will be doing the study for.

Pity my female hates going to the vet (she's relatively laid back when there aren't other dogs, she just hates anywhere that looks like a vet surgery), tht would mean you could get 2 dogs to participate!

• 1 month later...
I took 2 of my GSDs to Melbourne to participate in this study today. If anyone was considering it but was a bit hesitant, my dogs didn't even notice the tiny needles and all they were required to do was fall asleep! The whole thing was completely stress free for the dogs and myself :hug: Its a nice feeling to have helped out, in this instance and perhaps other dogs in the future with the findings of the research

sorry, I am just catching up with this.

It was lovely to meet you and hopefully will see you and your lovely dogs again some time!

how much longer will you be doing this for? i have a dog that i think would be suited, but i probably won't be able to make it down to melbourne in the next week or two.

In the next week or two would be fine. I would like to wrap up by the end of January, but I will go on as long as it takes.

I would volunteer my lot in an instant but neither the Dally or young pup are what I'd call laid back :rofl:

O so my five would not be suitable? Two used to be blood donors.

It sounds like yours would be excellent. If you're interested in helping out or if you have any questions, please let me know.

how much longer will you be doing this for? i have a dog that i think would be suited, but i probably won't be able to make it down to melbourne in the next week or two.

In the next week or two would be fine. I would like to wrap up by the end of January, but I will go on as long as it takes.

I would volunteer my lot in an instant but neither the Dally or young pup are what I'd call laid back :shrug:

O so my five would not be suitable? Two used to be blood donors.

It sounds like yours would be excellent. If you're interested in helping out or if you have any questions, please let me know.

Email sent with my contact details.