How To Tell The Neigbour...

W Sibs

Early in the morning, Charlie and I were outside in the backyard searching for lizards when Charlie all of a sudden took off to the corner of the yard (I haven't seen him move this fast since he was a puppy doing zoomies!!) and before I could see what he was looking at, he had a rat in his mouth and with 2 shake of his head, the rat was dead. Before he could do anything else to it, I got him to drop it and I sent him inside the house.

I have a feeling it's the neighbour's pet. They mention that their pet rat escaped a day ago and ask if we could keep a look out for it and since the neighbourhood doesn't have a rat problem... so how do I tell them that my dog kill their pet?

Edited by CW EW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early in the morning, Charlie and I were outside in the backyard searching for lizards when Charlie all of a sudden took off to the corner of the yard (I haven't seen him move this fast since he was a puppy doing zoomies!!) and before I could see what he was looking at, he had a rat in his mouth and with 2 shake of his head, the rat was dead. Before he could do anything else to it, I got him to drop it and I sent him inside the house.

I have a feeling it's the neighbour's pet. They mention that their pet rat escaped a day ago and ask if we could keep a look out for it and since the neighbourhood doesn't have a rat problem... so how do I tell them that my dog kill their pet?

First of all, what did it look like? Most pet rats I have met are not the common wild type brown (but some are). If it was a fancy colour, it was probably an escaped pet.

First of all, what did it look like? Most pet rats I have met are not the common wild type brown (but some are). If it was a fancy colour, it was probably an escaped pet.

It's a dark greyish colour.

well.... i would lie a little bit and tell them i found their rat dead and it looked as though one of the dogs might have killed it.

this is what the boyfriend said... i don't lie very well. i might get the boyfriend to go over and talk to them.

Dark greyish colour sounds like a wild rat to me.. but yeah I would be honest ;) I have had a rat before and I loved him but if he had escaped and a dog had got him, I wouldn't have been at all mad at the dog owner just sad that he escaped.

Wrap it up in a face-washer, put it in a shoebox and tell them you are so very sorry for what happened but remind them at least they have closure now and can bury their friend properly.

At the very least, it shows that you care.

Eta dark grey to me sounds like a Mink color. Or an agouti domestic, which is banded hairs, almost brindlish.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

Yeah, we have wrapped it in a plastic bad and put it in a box, it's currently locked up in the garage where it's cool. If it's their pet, they can bury it and if it's a wild one, we will throw it away.

I'm sure they won't be mad at us but it's still going to be sad if it is their pet rat though.

Charles is half cav , they are spaniels, thats their job.

SP's got a good suggestion.

Yeah. Charlie has a high prey drive, so I'm not shocked that he will try to kill it (not the first animal he has killed)... but i'm hoping it's not their pet rat

Having had pet rats, and having been witness to one of my own dogs killing one of them- it's quite traumatic when you think of your defenseless rodent an it's last moments, so don't take it to heart if they don't understand or don't at first.

Rats can mean as much to some people as our dogs do to us. Yes it's a pity that it escaped and yes it's natural what the dog did but it can still sting.

I know its dishonest but I would put the rat outside on the pavement and call the neighbour and tell them you found it there. I would not take a chance that they would be cross and then do something to my dog when I am not there. You never know how people will react and I would put my animals first.

I know its dishonest but I would put the rat outside on the pavement and call the neighbour and tell them you found it there. I would not take a chance that they would be cross and then do something to my dog when I am not there. You never know how people will react and I would put my animals first.

No. I don't think these are the people who will do anything to hurt my 2.

They will be understanding (if it's their pet) but it will be sad.

So they don't have the right to know how their beloved family member spent the last moments of it's life??

I see where you are coming from but I think unless these neighbors are particularly the angry retaliation type, they deserve to know the truth.

Look at it this way- if your dog got out and mine attacke it, how would you feel if I just left it's body on the street and called you saying I found your dead dog?

So they don't have the right to know how their beloved family member spent the last moments of it's life??

I see where you are coming from but I think unless these neighbors are particularly the angry retaliation type, they deserve to know the truth.

Look at it this way- if your dog got out and mine attacke it, how would you feel if I just left it's body on the street and called you saying I found your dead dog?

I totally agree. Even though I would never entertain the idea of having a rat as a pet the rat in question obviously was much loved and in the end, a liar will always be caught out. I would be honest and tell the truth. Why not offer to buy them another rat for a pet if indeed it turns out to be theirs and any other accessories they may need when they feel the time is right to replace him/her?

I'd own up, take the rat over and ask if it is their's, they will respect you more if you do that.

Accidents happen, they should understand that a rat has little hope against a dog, just try to be compassionate to them and be honest

Yeah, we have wrapped it in a plastic bad and put it in a box, it's currently locked up in the garage where it's cool. If it's their pet, they can bury it and if it's a wild one, we will throw it away.

I'm sure they won't be mad at us but it's still going to be sad if it is their pet rat though.

It will be sad if it their pet, but you have to do it.

Hugs to them and to you.

I agree with Mason2009; perhaps the neighbours are the understanding type or they may harbour grudges hence I wouldn't want to take that risk, I would most definitely be putting my animals first as you can never be too sure. I would tell them that I found the pet rat dead in the front yard so as to avoid them suspecting that your dogs may have killed it after all....that is if it's realistically possible that their pet rat could have wandered to your front yard.

Well I used to have pet rats, and it's true, they do make fantastic, intelligent and affection pets. One of mine was nearly killed by a neighbours' cat once - they were in my bedroom and the damn cat came in through the window. I managed to save it but the neighbours were so horrible, kept saying the cat was just doing its job, removing vermin from the world :D

Anyway, I was annoyed when my rat was attacked in my own bedroom, but if I lost my rat, and it was killed by the dog in my next door neighbour's yard, well that's hardly their fault is it? If it were me, I just want to be told. I would be very sad, but I wouldn't hold it against you or your dog, I'd just take extra care next time to not let my rat escape. Fact is, if your dog hadn't eaten it, something else would have - pet rats are hopeless in the wild and would not last long. At least your dog was quick about it - had it been a cat the rat probably wouldn't have been so lucky.

After thinking about this, I think I will go over tonight and just tell them what happened. I have a good relationship with my neighbours especially the ones on either side of me (and they are one living next door to me). I might give them a bottle of wine too... just in case it is and they want to drown their sorrows. If it's not their rat, then we can celebrate that Charlie didn't kill their pet.