Lightroom

Ripley

You could try tiny clone spots in LR but frankly it's just not what LR is built for and it would take an age and be only half good probably.

Photoshop Elements is a cheaper option than CS5 - though it doesn't have the absolutely fabulous (when it works) content aware fill or whatever it's called. Content aware fill is worth the price of CS5 alone, I reckon, coz I DETEST futzing with cloning and will often dump a frame instead of deal with removing something. It makes me far more aware out shooting coz I know how much I hate to futz with it - but for those times that there's no helping it, thank the geeks for PSCS5!

You could try tiny clone spots in LR but frankly it's just not what LR is built for and it would take an age and be only half good probably.

Photoshop Elements is a cheaper option than CS5 - though it doesn't have the absolutely fabulous (when it works) content aware fill or whatever it's called. Content aware fill is worth the price of CS5 alone, I reckon, coz I DETEST futzing with cloning and will often dump a frame instead of deal with removing something. It makes me far more aware out shooting coz I know how much I hate to futz with it - but for those times that there's no helping it, thank the geeks for PSCS5!

Yeah I have tried tiny clone spots and whilst it works its bloody time consuming and I dont have the patience :laugh:

One thing I have definately learnt to think about when shooting is the editing I will have to do after. I used to think 'Ah, Ill just get rid of it later'

All the doggy eye boogers and snotty kids noses and all now sorted BEFORE I take the shot! :laugh:

Have you tried cloning in DPP? I know that's got a setting so if you took a few pics and had a spot in the same place on each pic you can set it to remove them all.

This can be done in LR, too :angeldevil:

I don't know how DPP is for real cloning - I must admit since having LR I don't bother with DPP and when I first loaded it years ago, it sucked. Everyone I know who uses it now does love how it works with RAW images, though.

I haven't used lightroom for ages. I did use it for our calendar pics, but for day to day "snaps" I use DPP.

I find lightroom a little frustrating, as I get impatient sometimes, like for instance I can't figure out how to make my own presets so I just don't bother with it :angeldevil:

I find Picassa the best (of what I have) to remove things.

Have you tried cloning in DPP? I know that's got a setting so if you took a few pics and had a spot in the same place on each pic you can set it to remove them all.

This can be done in LR, too :angeldevil:

I don't know how DPP is for real cloning - I must admit since having LR I don't bother with DPP and when I first loaded it years ago, it sucked. Everyone I know who uses it now does love how it works with RAW images, though.

I suggested DPP because every Canon user gets it for free. I'm not computer savvy at all but even I can clone things out with it.

Lightroom is easy to make a preset. Here's quick and dirty:

1) Work on an image til it's how you want it.

2) Click the + on the Preset menu (left hand side in the develop module)

If you want everything you've done as part of the preset leave everything ticked

3) Select where you want it - the default presets or make your own name for a "folder" of presets (there's a drop down menu to choose New Folder). I have Kristin's BWs, Kristin's Colour etc

4) Type a name for your preset

5) Click Create

Ba da bing - you're done.

And you can apply it and still tweak every individual bit. FAST - ZOOM ZOOM!

I love making them and usually just leave all the boxes ticked, but if I know I don't want something but want MOST of what I've done, I just unclick the right box - how versatile is that?? And all on one screen. And it means you can make multiple presets from ONE edit - which is pretty much full of the awesome, too.

Lightroom is easy to make a preset. Here's quick and dirty:

1) Work on an image til it's how you want it.

2) Click the + on the Preset menu (left hand side in the develop module)

If you want everything you've done as part of the preset leave everything ticked

3) Select where you want it - the default presets or make your own name for a "folder" of presets (there's a drop down menu to choose New Folder). I have Kristin's BWs, Kristin's Colour etc

4) Type a name for your preset

5) Click Create

Ba da bing - you're done.

And you can apply it and still tweak every individual bit. FAST - ZOOM ZOOM!

I love making them and usually just leave all the boxes ticked, but if I know I don't want something but want MOST of what I've done, I just unclick the right box - how versatile is that?? And all on one screen. And it means you can make multiple presets from ONE edit - which is pretty much full of the awesome, too.

bugger - how easy was that. I'm sure that's what I tried (not :angeldevil: )

Now of course I have about 200 million images to "re-edit".........................

Edited by anniek

I clone sensor dust in Adobe Camera Raw as I find it quicker than opening in CS3. I also open objects as a smart object sometimes. I'm pretty confident in Bridge, which is why Lightroom scares me but I had a look at the raw converter in Lightroom and it has the same sliders as CS3's Raw converter just a few extra scary looking things I'm sure I'll get used to.

I'm ok with actions, have used them before just not made up any of my own. I'm ok with layer masks too - maybe I'll be ok with LR. :crossfingers:

I'm ordering it today. Thanks for the great advice kja.

One thing though, why do you have to import each file, can't you just download and click like you can in Bridge? Seems you have to import individually and then go to Develop, whereas in Bridge I just double click and it opens, I do my raw adjustments and then open in PS.

Edited by Ripley

No, you import the whole card - or individual files - or the whole folder - or a selection of files. Whatever you want.

Instead of double clicking to edit - you just click the develop module and the image you are on is there. Same number of clickies. Less actually, if you view your images in the develop module in the first place :crossfingers:

You'll get the hang of it once you have hands on.

How great are B&H. I ordered the regular version of LR off them on Monday and it's just arrived today - from New York with their normal shipping. Wonderful service. I've ordered a few things off them before.

Of course the Scott Kelby book on how to use it hasn't arrived yet (off Amazon) and won't for another week. I doubt if I'll get to even loading it on the computer this weekend, too much on.